Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: All New X-men 4

Fantastic Member TheForbiddenOne's Avatar

Default All New X-men 4

Summary:

Story starts off in Tokyo with Angel and Wolverine taking on a bunch of bad guys with Laura jumping head first into the fire. Beast reveals that he has created a device than scans for dangers that are likely to be problems for X-men(which presumably they use throughout this issue). Cyclops asks if he can hang out with Warren away from Laura from a moment to which Warren responds "She probably wouldn't evennotice"

Story then shifts to California where a huge fire is engulfing the forest, Laura goes into the fire setting herself on fire to save people who were caught in the flames. Story shifts to the ocean where the X-men are saving people from a shipwreck. Iceman freezes the ocean floor under which Laura is caught under, Warren panicks until Laura breaks out from under the ice unharmed.

Story shifts to Paris where Warren confronts Laura on her recklessness and always jumping into danger trying to do everything alone, she responds by stating that is her role on the team however the conversation is cut short by Blob attacking a restaurant. Laura attacks him head on ignoring Warren's advice to call for back up , Blob begins beating on Laura with seemingly relative ease.

My thoughts:
    I dislike that this book doesn't seem to have a central plot but I'm enjoying the story just the same. Conflict in a relationship is great and is part of why people loved Scemma so much. People are probably going to hate on Warren this issue but I think he was completely justified although just the same Laura isn't wrong either. Surprised to see Blob defeat Laura so easily, isn't she supposed to be a highly skilled assassin? I think much like Wolverine did, she hasn't kept with her skills overrelying on her healing factor. Oh well in any case the Angel/Wolverine relationship has become my favorite part of the book, obviously it can't drag on forever but for now I'm really liking it.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by TheForbiddenOne View Post
    Summary:
    I think much like Wolverine did, she hasn't kept with her skills overrelying on her healing factor.
    Except this is HORRIFICALLY out of character. She's NEVER demonstrated this sort of over-reliance on her healing factor in the past. She's used it strategically, yes, but NEVER just disregarded the idea of being injured just because she'll heal from it.

If THAT is Hopeless's explanation for her behavior I'll be BEYOND disappointed, because this is just appalling.

Fantastic Member TheForbiddenOne's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ambaryerno View Post
    Except this is HORRIFICALLY out of character. She's NEVER demonstrated this sort of over-reliance on her healing factor in the past. She's used it strategically, yes, but NEVER just disregarded the idea of being injured just because she'll heal from it.

If THAT is Hopeless's explanation for her behavior I'll be BEYOND disappointed, because this is just appalling.
    In the issue Laura said its her role to be the tank on the team. Even if Laura has never used her powers like that before, the role you play on team is going to change based on what powers are available on that team. This team doesn't have a tank, so she is doing to be a tank. It makes a lot of sense really.

Fantastic Member SchismOfMadroces's Avatar

Probably fairly obvious, but my money is on Bobby's power-boom being a result of him embracing his sexuality instead of repressing it.

hate cant reach you here Harpsikord's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SchismOfMadroces View Post
    Probably fairly obvious, but my money is on Bobby's power-boom being a result of him embracing his sexuality instead of repressing it.
    In general I think Bobby is embracing too much at once and going at a much quicker pace than he really should be-- not just because of his sexuality. He's going way too fast, and doing way too much. It's less a reflection of being out with his sexuality and more with people so open with his powers; he's basically at a point now with his powers that his older self didn't get to for about ten more years.

The fact that he's the only team member not to have a new costume makes me wish the rest of the team had costumes that matched his.
    Last edited by Harpsikord; 02-10-2016 at 10:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by TheForbiddenOne View Post
    In the issue Laura said its her role to be the tank on the team. Even if Laura has never used her powers like that before, the role you play on team is going to change based on what powers are available on that team. This team doesn't have a tank, so she is doing to be a tank. It makes a lot of sense really.
    Except there's no reason for her to tank a bunch of bullets when she's the only one in a fight. When she did it in Black Widow 11, it was a strategic move to distract the guards while Natasha moved in. Here, she should have rushed in and taken down the gang with speed and efficiancy. That would be in character. And she's clearly not lost her tactical skills if you read All-New Wolverine - Wasp comments on this in ANW 5. The moment where Laura leaps into the fire to save someone isn't that bad, except she wouldn't grin about it.

Quote Originally Posted by healed1337 View Post
    Except there's no reason for her to tank a bunch of bullets when she's the only one in a fight. When she did it in Black Widow 11, it was a strategic move to distract the guards while Natasha moved in. Here, she should have rushed in and taken down the gang with speed and efficiancy. That would be in character. And she's clearly not lost her tactical skills if you read All-New Wolverine - Wasp comments on this in ANW 5. The moment where Laura leaps into the fire to save someone isn't that bad, except she wouldn't grin about it.
    They are pulling a wolverine with the new wolverine it seems
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by healed1337 View Post
    She SURE as hell wouldn't say "BRB."

Quote Originally Posted by icantstandthisindecision View Post
    In general I think Bobby is embracing too much at once and going at a much quicker pace than he really should be-- not just because of his sexuality. He's going way too fast, and doing way too much. It's less a reflection of being out with his sexuality and more with people so open with his powers; he's basically at a point now with his powers that his older self didn't get to for about ten more years.

The fact that he's the only team member not to have a new costume makes me wish the rest of the team had costumes that matched his.
    That's closer in line to what I'm hoping for! What I meant is that since this Bobby is much more open to who he really is, his powers are also less suppressed. Hopefully this will be a good way of moving past the "Cursed by Mediocrity" specter that has been hanging over Iceman's head for so long.

hate cant reach you here Harpsikord's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ambaryerno View Post
    She SURE as hell wouldn't say "BRB."
    I think it's just shorthand.

Like when Wood used 'OMG' as shorthand for 'Oh my God.'

Quote Originally Posted by SchismOfMadroces View Post
    That's closer in line to what I'm hoping for! What I meant is that since this Bobby is much more open to who he really is, his powers are also less suppressed. Hopefully this will be a good way of moving past the "Cursed by Mediocrity" specter that has been hanging over Iceman's head for so long.
    Oh, I agree, then! It's definitely something that could be both a blessing and a curse. Bobby could end up veering dangerously (or perhaps not) close to how he was in the AoA universe in his O5 form, just less... well, crazy.
    Last edited by Harpsikord; 02-10-2016 at 11:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by icantstandthisindecision View Post
    I think it's just shorthand.

Like when Wood used 'OMG' as shorthand for 'Oh my God.'
    Even then, she wouldn't say "Be Right Back"

So... Story time!
    >I've come to accept and appreciate the art. *shrugs*
    >Big in Japan! Nice to see X-Men being seen as helpers and thanked for it again.
    >Teleporting around the world? Wouldn't that increase your chances of running into Terrigen clouds?
    >MORE evil Cyclops bitching. *rolls eyes*
    >Blob's eating exotic animals? I had a Ultimate Blob & Ultimate Wasp flashback and was expecting him to rip off one of Laura's limbs and chow down on it at the end. That last page was especially brutal.
    >Would you get up off your recently cosmically enhanced ass and slice Blob to pieces with your ENERGY WINGS, Warren?!
    >Damn, X-23's being written horribly for a character in general and for her character in particular.
    >"Puppy love melts the grumps away." Metaphor for Laura/Warren?
    >Bobby's having trouble with guys who're even remotely possibly interested in him. Being out for 18 months hasn't done you or your older self any favours, has it?

Enjoyable issue minus the confusing X-23 personality issues.
    Quote Originally Posted by The General, JLA #38
    'Why?' Just to see the disappointment on your corn-fed, gee-whiz face, Superman. And because a great dark voice on the edge of nothing spoke to me and said you all had to die. There is no 'Why?'

BANNED

Her getting jobbed by Blob like that may have been the worst part. Complete Idiot Ball maneuver.

For that matter, when did Blob get his powers back? I thought he had to use MGH? Or is this one of those, "Something something Secret Wars" things?

i didn't like it that much. i mean, it was good to see blob again and i liked the problems angel is having with laura. but otherwise, this was a huge miss. as much as laura was mischaracterized by bendis in his run, this is way way worse. i'm not talking about the wanton disregard for personal safety. i'm talking about "BRB" - BRB really?

more jabs at adult cyclop. at this point, it's just laughable how much they keep milking this. and it looks like idie okonkwo is going to volunteer to show bobby how to use his powers correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by nx01a View Post
    >Teleporting around the world? Wouldn't that increase your chances of running into Terrigen clouds?
    Beast did mention that his trouble-tracker accounts for weather patterns, so my guess is that they're able to avoid the cloud that way in addition to responding to natural disasters.