View Poll Results: Is Mike Carey's X-Men: Legacy good?

Voters
48. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yay

31 64.58%
  • Nay

12 25.00%
  • Meh

5 10.42%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mutant Bat on Speed Force Fuzzy Barbarian's Avatar

Default Mike Carey's X-Men: Legacy - Yay or Nay?

I've been looking for long running, modern X-Men comic that isn't X-Factor. I haven't heard much about Carey's X-Men: Legacy beyond some mixed things about his Xavier stuff and how continuity heavy it is. That's not really a problem for me unless they go really heavy into the nineties X-Men stuff, which I haven't read. I'd just like to know what you guys, being X-Men readers, think of the run as a whole?

If you'd prefer to respond with something mroe in-depth, I think it would help to break thigns up into:

Xavier run

Rogue run
    Favourite characters: Wally West, Dick Grayson, Cassandra Cain, Cyclops, Jay Garrick, Jamie Madrox, Stargirl, Bucky Barnes, Magik, Jon Kent, Kate Bishop, Booster Gold

Regular pulls:
    Adventureman, Cable, Fire Power, Green Lantern, Hellions, New Mutants, Thor, Vampire: The Masquerade, Venom, X-Factor, X-Men

Trade-waiting: Animosity, Black Panther, Captain America, Catwoman, Conan, Daredevil, DCeased, Detective Comics, Hawkman, Immortal Hulk, Redneck, Saga, Skyward, Snotgirl, X-Force

I think the Xavier run is more accessible, but I enjoyed the Rogue run more. I thought the role of teacher was a really good turn for the character.

Xavier - Yay.

Rogue - Nay.

Spurrier`s Legacy is a HUGE YAY!

BANNED

The Xavier stuff is all-time great. The Rogue stuff becomes more and more meandering as it goes on.

Quote Originally Posted by Purplevit View Post
    Xavier - Yay.

Rogue - Nay.

Spurrier`s Legacy is a HUGE YAY!
    Seconded.

I only read part of the Rogue run, but I thought it was pretty enjoyable.

Agreed that Spurrier's Legacy is a huge yay.

BANNED

Yay for me. Rogue is awesome.

BANNED

the xaver stuff was excellent. dived he stands, I reread last week and it was great. carey started well on the series with supernovas but likemany writers, He fell into the trap of the pet characters thing with rogue and magneto. As carey became more obsessed with rogue and magneto the series took a nose dive and we began to see silly retcons to favour his pet characters.

star wars fans are giving rey a hard time for been a mary sue but carey's rogue was far worse of a mary sue and when you add the fact that carey used magneto as a self insert of himself. the series became his own fanfiction and that brought down the quality of the series.

I liked both Carey's Xavier run & Rogue run. He did well bringing students into the series and giving them personalities when they were just wallpaper before.

Yes, Rogue was a bit of a Mary Sue at times, but she was the focal character of the series too. He also made me like Frenzy, who was just a two-bit villain to me beforehand. Many of his stories were very creative and his ability to think of ways for characters to use their powers creatively was top notch.

Mutant Bat on Speed Force Fuzzy Barbarian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dales View Post
    the xaver stuff was excellent. dived he stands, I reread last week and it was great. carey started well on the series with supernovas but likemany writers, He fell into the trap of the pet characters thing with rogue and magneto. As carey became more obsessed with rogue and magneto the series took a nose dive and we began to see silly retcons to favour his pet characters.

star wars fans are giving rey a hard time for been a mary sue but carey's rogue was far worse of a mary sue and when you add the fact that carey used magneto as a self insert of himself. the series became his own fanfiction and that brought down the quality of the series.
    How did Rogue become a mary sue? And what retcons? Not that I don't believe you, I just wanna get a feel for the kinds of retcons, since I'm not against it sometimes. I mean, everything Brubaker did with Bucky spawned from a retcon that made him a.. less stupid character. And I liked that retcon. Or is it like Geoff Johns and Barry Allen, where Barry became the most badass person ever and everyone else owed everything to His majesty, the great Allen, the One True Flash, Vanquisher of Imposters?
    Favourite characters: Wally West, Dick Grayson, Cassandra Cain, Cyclops, Jay Garrick, Jamie Madrox, Stargirl, Bucky Barnes, Magik, Jon Kent, Kate Bishop, Booster Gold

Regular pulls:
    Adventureman, Cable, Fire Power, Green Lantern, Hellions, New Mutants, Thor, Vampire: The Masquerade, Venom, X-Factor, X-Men

Trade-waiting: Animosity, Black Panther, Captain America, Catwoman, Conan, Daredevil, DCeased, Detective Comics, Hawkman, Immortal Hulk, Redneck, Saga, Skyward, Snotgirl, X-Force

Justified Ancient of MuMu wonderlad's Avatar

I'm in the meh category on Legacy. I loved the pre-Legacy stuff - (#188 (Supenovas) to Messiah Complex), but as much as I love Rogue thought the Legacy stuff was extraneous and not that exciting.

Mighty Member

The Xavier run was great but I was terribly disappointed in the Rogue run - not a patch on Adjectiveless.

I really like the Xavier run. Not so much on the Rogue run.

Carey's run Adjectiveless (pre Legacy) was awesome!

Fantastic Member True Believer Tony's Avatar

Some of his plots were on the tamer side and some arcs would drag but when it comes to the X-Men, few people get the voices of so many characters spot on and I have yet to come across a writer who loves continuity and knows how to use the franchise's vast history to benefit his stories.

So... Yay.
    Twitter: @TonyBWood

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Will of the Geeks View Post
    How did Rogue become a mary sue? And what retcons? Not that I don't believe you, I just wanna get a feel for the kinds of retcons, since I'm not against it sometimes. I mean, everything Brubaker did with Bucky spawned from a retcon that made him a.. less stupid character. And I liked that retcon. Or is it like Geoff Johns and Barry Allen, where Barry became the most badass person ever and everyone else owed everything to His majesty, the great Allen, the One True Flash, Vanquisher of Imposters?

retcon on how rogue could not trust gambit after his past when rogue and gambit have already been through that and restored trust and honesty with each other for most of xtreme x-men and uncannuy xmen 375- and even x-men 81 where it was rogue who was willing to trust and be with him again.

retcon of how it did not mater if magneto was the one that mind raped rogue in uncanny x-men 350. Carey said the whole magneto disguise as eric the red and the horrror he put rogue, and gambit and the rest of the x-men through during uncanny xmen 347-350 was irrelevant.

read uncanny xmen 234. rogue was the ultimate mary sue.