View Poll Results: What should DC do with Alan Scott?

Voters
30. You may not vote on this poll
  • He should be in the Corps

3 10.00%
  • He should be a Starheart Lantern

19 63.33%
  • I have another idea (please specify)

5 16.67%
  • Don't know/No opinion

3 10.00%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Trey Strain View Post
    He could be DC's top character. The right writer hasn't written him yet. Gerard Jones might have done it if he had had enough time and leeway.
    That is true of every character in DC's collection, so thats kinda a non-argument.

And look at it this way, there was a reason they tried giving him that Warrior identity back in the day.

BANNED

Get rid of the Avatar of the Green and distance him from the GLC.

Play more with the Starheart concept and maybe have it have some connection to GL hence the ring but be it's own thing.

Back before Crisis on Infinite Earths, I actually liked the storyline in which the Guardians (who only existed in the Earth-1 timeline) gathered a good deal of the magic of that timeline, packaged it up, and sent it to Earth-2, where they hoped they wouldn't have to worry about it. (Kind of careless, when you think about it.) A portion of that magic, in the form of a green meteor, landed on Earth-2, and provided the material for Alan's lantern and ring.

I certainly like the fact that Alan's power was magic-related, whereas the Guardians and the GLC were treated as advanced science. (Although later stories about the Guardians, implicitly invoking Clarke's Law, made it awfully hard to see if they were scientists, or alien magicians with elaborate arcane prophecies and sorcerous books.) And I'd like that to continue.

After CoIE, they did a lot of retreading on the origin of the meteor - connecting it to the power battery of a arrogant member of the GLC (the Guardians had switched his weakness from yellow to wood, without telling him, to teach him a lesson - suggesting that the weakness was entirely arbitrary, which was later retconned). Then later having it hit and combine with the Starheart meteor, which seemed like a little much. Then... something else.

I don't see any reason Alan needs to be connected to the GLC, at least not directly. If I were writing it, I think I'd trace the materials back to a magical artifact from the Emerald House on Gemworld. (I always thought Gemworld was an underused source of heroes, villains, and artifacts.) Alan might not know about that until late in his career - perhaps when someone from Gemworld came seeking after it.

After CoIE, I remember thinking it would be interesting if the Emerald Eye (used by the Emerald Empress, an enemy of the Legion of Superheroes) was simply Alan's lantern 1000 years in the future, changed by people using it over the centuries. I'd still like to see that connection.
    Doctor Bifrost

"If Roy G. Bivolo had seen some B&W pencil sketches, his whole life would have turned out differently." http://doctorbifrost.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Sirzechs View Post
    Yeah it's really upsetting, Its as if a POC can't be created just because you know they exist in the world.
    Yeah. When two young, urban, Jewish writers with recognizably ethnic names made Superman about the most WASPY-looking-and-sounding, Midwestern (I think we are in Kansas, Toto!) hero you can imagine, that was just... normal.

But when a writer creates a character like Simon Baz who happens to share some of the writer's own background, that's P.C., and tokenism, and too political. It's not wonder that it's hard to introduce and/or get traction on diverse characters.
    Doctor Bifrost

"If Roy G. Bivolo had seen some B&W pencil sketches, his whole life would have turned out differently." http://doctorbifrost.blogspot.com/

When Kyle and Baz go....
    That's a pretty big assumption. Kyle's been around a long time and has a lot of fans. Baz is one of DC's few characters with an Arabic background. I doubt they're going away.
    Doctor Bifrost

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Bifrost View Post
    After CoIE, I remember thinking it would be interesting if the Emerald Eye (used by the Emerald Empress, an enemy of the Legion of Superheroes) was simply Alan's lantern 1000 years in the future, changed by people using it over the centuries. I'd still like to see that connection.
    They did actually explain where the Eye came from once... Lobo had torn it out of the head of a massive Green Lantern and that the eye somehow retained some of the GL-powers, though not many because I don't recall the Emerald Empress doing all that much with it other than shooting at things she didn't like.

Quote Originally Posted by MadFacedKid View Post
    Yes, please!

Play more with the Starheart concept and maybe have it have some connection to GL hence the ring but be it's own thing.
    I agree with this as well.
    Doctor Bifrost

BANNED

And then there are Alan's kids... I imagine DC recognizes their value. No need to give them goofball powers this time though. They can be backup Corpsmen, pressed into service if Alan ever needs them in his **cough cough** solo title **cough cough**. You remember whose idea ir was for Alan and the JSA to come to this world young from out of the past, right? And how many people thought that was a terrible idea? And now that it's actually getting done, they suddenly don't think it's bad any more? Alan in the Corps will work the same way. When it's done, it'll suddenly become a good idea.

You've still got the Earth 2 Alan with a Starheart ring, if that interests you.
    Last edited by Trey Strain; 02-12-2016 at 04:09 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Outside_85 View Post
    That is true of every character in DC's collection, so thats kinda a non-argument.

And look at it this way, there was a reason they tried giving him that Warrior identity back in the day.
    I don't think so. If they told me I could have any character to write, and especially to reboot, I would choose Guy. Not Batman or Superman.
    Last edited by Trey Strain; 02-12-2016 at 02:38 AM.

BANNED

That Alan Scott solo title would be a nice one to write too though. I'd call it Green Lantern: Metropolis, and I'd call the other Earth Lantern title Green Lantern: Coast City.

As opposed to putting Alan back in Gotham City. There's too much stuff in Gotham City already,
    Last edited by Trey Strain; 02-12-2016 at 07:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MadFacedKid View Post

I am all for distancing Alan from the GLC. All that is going to do is to tie the series into the GL franchise. I'd be OK with a Guardian saying "We weren't on Earth before Jordan, therefore we have no claim. So says our legal department." in a cameo.

But the Avatar of the Green part still has life in it. Why can't Alan's source of power be the green, even if he's not the actual avatar? Granted, yes, this screams Swamp Thing team-up, but Swampy's not a franchise having nearly constant events which suck books into them.

Similarly, having a Jay Garrick given his powers by Mercury screams Wonder Woman team-up. Let's shift the usual connections here.

Astonishing Member The_Greatest_Username's Avatar

He could be DC's top character. The right writer hasn't written him yet. Gerard Jones might have done it if he had had enough time and leeway.
    I thought Gleason's Gardner was almost perfect actually.

Quote Originally Posted by Outside_85 View Post
    I'd kill Gardner simply because he's nothing but the drunk uncle nobody actually wants around.
    At least his girlfriends can stay out of the fridge.

BANNED

Nobody is interested in the Earth 2 version of Alan, and if you do this Alan the same way, nobody will be interested in him either. That other Alan is still over there on Earth 2, for all the two dozen people or so who find him compelling. He'll get used again sooner or later.

Astonishing Member

Maybe Abin Sur deputised Alan with limited ring & lantern constructs to cover 2814 while he was off investigating the whispers of blackest night, setting up the indigo tribe, training sinestro or interrogating the inversions

the ring would be more limited in applications (no uniform construct for starters) but alan learned how to use it to the best of his abilites.

as for where he (and the other JSA guys) go... lost a fight with Jenny Sparks, Martian Manhunter and StormWatch?

edit: as for guy, if they really want rid of him have him give up/lose the ring and have him re-open Warriors. god knows superheros could use a means of interacting with colleagues that doesn't involve punching (And its not like they can chill out in Lux)
    Last edited by king of hybrids; 02-12-2016 at 12:29 PM.

BANNED

Guy is a Green Lantern and nothing but.