Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast

In case anyone is interested, HiH Vol 2 is available today on Comixology. And I thought Mike hated drawing cars.

10-18-2016 9-55-25 AM.jpg

He hates drawing them so much!

Random I know...and sorry for reviving an older thread.

I read Hellboy in Hell again last week...this is a stretch, but at the very end I think there's a portrait that could be Edmond Halley, in the living room scene. The guy with the globe. Maybe not, like I said it's a stretch, but Halley came up with the Hollow Earth theory, the name of the first B.P.R.D. mini series. An easter egg in hindsight??

Actually, it is Democritus by Diego Velazquez.

For more on Democritus: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Democritus (It's pretty interesting reading his theories, given the context of that scene.)

Wow, you all are so incredibly tuned in!! Thanks for the link.

I'm just previously aware of the painting, so when you mentioned it and went back to look, I recognized it.

I hadn't really read up on him before, though.

So, I just went and re read #9 (it's a personal favorite) and there's some interesting lines from his wife there at the end...

spoilers:
    given what happened in the last issue of B.P.R.D. There's two words are in bold that now make a lot more sense. Well, the whole scene, really.
    end of spoilers

There's also a letter in Hellboy in Hell #8 about how dead characters stay dead in the Mignolaverse, as opposed to Marvel or DC. Allie replies: "Stranger things have happened, Terry. I hope you stick with us."

So yeah, I guess they had this planned a long time ago.

After you saying that, I just went back to HB in Hell Volume 2: The Death Card, and yeah... ooooooo.

spoilers:
    Have to admit, I was just not convinced this was the end of the Hellboy story, I did keep quiet on here, but it didn't fit well (even with the link to the Magician and the Snake) since so much was left undone and re-reading what his wife said in HB in Hell #9, I remember being very confused in #10 with what she had said. It didn't match what happened.

Plus, what Edward Grey had said to HB and others, that didn't match either - about how he had a lot still to do, things Grey would help with and things HB had to do on his own. I know some of that could be accounted with the murder of the Devil, the family business and HB bringing down Hell. But Grey seemed to expect a lot more would happen than what we saw in HB in Hell.
    end of spoilers

All in all I think spoilers:
    Hellboy might at times prove 'around' for B.P.R.D. members the same way LoJo was in Conqueror Worm, or how Harry Middleton was as of Darkness Calls: around both as dead and gone at the same time.

I also expect Hellboy is to still fulfill his destiny of becoming Beast of The Apocalypse once such is to go down, as what he'd basically be remaining around for. At the same time his friends may still be to aid him in ways, as how Queen Mabh (in The Storm & The Fury) predicted them to be.
    end of spoilers
    SLINT / Mike Mignola / Walt Whitman / Arthur Louriι / Dr. Pepper

spoilers:
    And in some ways the Apocalypse has changed - Hell is no more (though as we are seeing in BPRD, at least someone is trying to create Hell on Earth) so the expected Apocalypse of Hell, well his Hand can't bring that about now right? But during the course of Abe's run we saw another version - the Mexican heroes at the end of time fighting the darkness and the world being remade. We get that in Norse mythology too where the world ends and begins anew. We've had it in HB itself, the World Tree became old and died, and a new one sprung from Hellboy's sacrifice and it is supposed to be where the world restarts from. So maybe his hand will now bring about a very different apocalypse, which I think the word has always been misunderstood anyways (those cheeky medieval people!) - not an end of everything but in ancient Greek: "An uncovering."
    end of spoilers

Cool post spoilers:
    timbolton
    end of spoilers !

spoilers:
    Has the Apocalypse changed? Because Hell has crumbled?
    Did all of it crumble - so Roger's part or the faded Faeries' secret inner island place too?

I must admit I regard the Apocalypse to mean the end for the (formerly) living, inescapably,
    like a return to chaos, a return to Ereshigal, a state of non-being.
    I don't think any alterment to parts of Hell would change or even affect such.
    Or to be most precise I regard the Apocalypse here to mean the end to these characters and their story in a finite sense:
    their story must and wants to end fully.

I do believe next to that stuff like the Life Tree stands for life and new beginning - being reserved for
    newer life forms so excluding any existing or formerly existing entities.

But that's just my take.
    end of spoilers
    Last edited by Kees_L; 01-09-2018 at 09:17 AM.

Fantastic Member

spoilers:
    Hellboy’s hand is the tool by which the army of Hell is activated and guided. The fall of Pandamonium wouldn’t necessarily affect that. The army shown to him in Chapter 2 (being forged by the Fisher of Souls) is still existing unless the River Cocytus and the army was also destroyed, but I don’t think it was.

Remember he was told in this same scene that the army was the ONLY power that could open the gates between Hell and Heaven & Earth and that only his right hand could command them.
    end of spoilers
    Last edited by zerodemon; 01-09-2018 at 10:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by zerodemon View Post
    spoilers:
    Hellboy’s hand is the tool by which the army of Hell is activated and guided. The fall of Pandamonium wouldn’t necessarily affect that. The army shown to him in Chapter 2 (being forged by the Fisher of Souls) is still existing unless the River Cocytus and the army was also destroyed, but I don’t think it was.

Remember he was told in this same scene that the army was the ONLY power that could open the gates between Hell and Heaven & Earth and that only his right hand could command them.
    end of spoilers
    Agreed!
    Although I forget 'what take' this was part of since in the stories overall we got so many (different yet similar) takes, from Shonchin to Rasputin to Hecate to Ed Grey to professors to the brotherhoods interviewing Sarah Hughes extracting the Secret History of the World, all as revealing the lowdown about the Ogdru Jahad and Hellboy's Right Hand of Doom as part of the former statue in King Thoth's Angelic garden.

which was published already years ago hence no spoiler tags

Whether the Armies will be actual or allegorical, I'd say chances are the doom they'd represent appears very actual still, a doom for the living storyworld around Hellboy as being to mean the end.
    Last edited by Kees_L; 01-09-2018 at 10:43 AM.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kees_L View Post
    Agreed!
    Although I forget 'what take' this was part of since in the stories overall we got so many (different yet similar) takes, from Shonchin to Rasputin to Hecate to Ed Grey to professors to the brotherhoods interviewing Sarah Hughes extracting the Secret History of the World, all as revealing the lowdown about the Ogdru Jahad and Hellboy's Right Hand of Doom as part of the former statue in King Thoth's Angelic garden.

which was published already years ago hence no spoiler tags

Whether the Armies will be actual or allegorical, I'd say chances are the doom they'd represent appears very actual still, a doom for the living storyworld around Hellboy as being to mean the end.
    I dunno man. I think the take from HiH is pretty much the last word on at least one of the uses of the RHoD. Seems like the information is coming straight from the horse’s mouth.

spoilers:
    that said Hellboy also turns into a giant, fights and destroys two massive beasties, and then summons a bolt of lightning.
    end of spoilers

Who knows what else that thing is capable of.