Mighty Member

Default Are there any ranting comics writers these days?

I remember in the 70's there were writers would just rant, Rant, RANT in their books. Sometimes it would be a whole page of rant(and purple Prose), with a little bit of artwork. It made me wonder why they didn't just write a novel instead.

Extraordinary Member

The 70s was like that? You must mean the 2000s.

No, he means the seventies. Caption box after caption box filled with turgid, over-written narration describing exactly what was happening in the pictures.

BANNED

And odd, hard to place political Statements. Vaguely pro peace but anti Hippie culture.

Can never tell Mike Friedrich and Gary Friedrich apart, but one of the two did that a lot.

Invincible Member

I like Don McGregor but he was sort of the poster boy for over written 70's comics.

I think with all the decompression and trade writing that goes on today, you really don't have that same type of over writing in modern comics. Heck, I think we almost have the exact opposite problem.

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    I like Don McGregor but he was sort of the poster boy for over written 70's comics.

I think with all the decompression and trade writing that goes on today, you really don't have that same type of over writing in modern comics. Heck, I think we almost have the exact opposite problem.
    True. As much as I liked Panther's Rage that book was so dense it took me FOREVER to get through.
    Last edited by KOSLOX; 02-11-2016 at 08:23 AM.
    Pull List:

Marvel Comics: Venom, X-Men, Black Panther, Captain America, Eternals, Warhammer 40000.
    DC Comics: The Last God
    Image: Decorum

To be fair, McGregor wasn't just relaying what the eye could see. Some older writers, particularly Gardner Fox, were influenced by radio and tended to recapitulate the action in the panels. McGregor, in contrast, was trying to explore a level of emotional and symbolic texture that the pictures couldn't show.

By coinkydink, I recently finished a blog-essay on one of the Panther's Rage stories, here.

Mighty Member

Yeah, Mcgregor was the least annoying. At times he would give a little more depth to an unsympathetic character.

Astonishing Member David Walton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ouroboros View Post
    To be fair, McGregor wasn't just relaying what the eye could see. Some older writers, particularly Gardner Fox, were influenced by radio and tended to recapitulate the action in the panels. McGregor, in contrast, was trying to explore a level of emotional and symbolic texture that the pictures couldn't show.

By coinkydink, I recently finished a blog-essay on one of the Panther's Rage stories, here.
    Really enjoyed your article, Gene, so thanks for posting. I'm not familiar with the source material, or the era in general, having grown up as an early 80s Marvel kid. But the piece is really well-written and highly recommended.

I enjoy prose bits like the one you've included. Maybe the best example I can think of is Roy Thomas' Savage Sword of Conan. Of course, Roy was lifting the prose directly from Robert E. Howard, but he did a great job of lifting the right passages, and finding the optimal balance between text and art.
    Last edited by David Walton; 02-11-2016 at 12:18 PM.

It's been fun. Toodles. Paradox's Avatar

Spike-X notes:

No, he means the seventies. Caption box after caption box filled with turgid, over-written narration describing exactly what was happening in the pictures.
    I agree to an extent. I'm confused by him calling that "ranting", though. Ranting is aggressively going on and on about (usually) some topic of controversy. Dave Sims' essays are rants. Common '70s "overwriting" isn't.
    'Dox out.

"It’s cold and it’s mean-spirited and I don’t like it here anymore." - Alan Moore

"Can it, you nit!" - Violet Beauregard

"And Paradox is never correct. About anything."- Kid Omega

The Conclave group page on Primus (a work in progress)
    Champions: The Conclave (an updating Facebook Gallery)
    Decorum & Friends (A City of Heroes archive)

Ranting exposition in books is a rarity these days. Most writers (those that have a proclivity to rant that is) get their full on message boards and twitter
    Pull List:

ASM/Spider-Gwen/Deadpool/Harley Quinn/Batman/All-New Wolverine/OML/Lady Mechanika/B.E.K./HarleyQuinn/Paper Girls/All-Star Batman / Gwenpool/Reborn

JLS Comics: Twitter: @ComicsJLS /// Instagram: JLSComics
    YouTube www.youtube.com/c/JLSComics
    F: http://www.facebook.com/JLSComics
    Check out my articles at www.comicbooked.com!

Quote Originally Posted by Paradox View Post
    I agree to an extent. I'm confused by him calling that "ranting", though. Ranting is aggressively going on and on about (usually) some topic of controversy. Dave Sims' essays are rants. Common '70s "overwriting" isn't.
    Gerber made an issue of Howard the Duck into a rant.
    "It's not whether you win or lose, it's whether I win or lose." - Peter David, on life

"If you can't say anything nice about someone, sit right here by me." - Alice Roosevelt Longworth, on manners

"You're much stronger than you think you are." - Superman, on humankind

All-New, All-Different Marvel Checklist

It's been fun. Toodles. Paradox's Avatar

That is an accurate description of that issue, yes.
    'Dox out.

"It’s cold and it’s mean-spirited and I don’t like it here anymore." - Alan Moore

"Can it, you nit!" - Violet Beauregard

"And Paradox is never correct. About anything."- Kid Omega

The Conclave group page on Primus (a work in progress)
    Champions: The Conclave (an updating Facebook Gallery)
    Decorum & Friends (A City of Heroes archive)

Quote Originally Posted by David Walton View Post
    Really enjoyed your article, Gene, so thanks for posting. I'm not familiar with the source material, or the era in general, having grown up as an early 80s Marvel kid. But the piece is really well-written and highly recommended.

I enjoy prose bits like the one you've included. Maybe the best example I can think of is Roy Thomas' Savage Sword of Conan. Of course, Roy was lifting the prose directly from Robert E. Howard, but he did a great job of lifting the right passages, and finding the optimal balance between text and art.
    Thank you, David; glad you liked it.

Going back to the original topic-- Miller's HOLY TERROR is pretty much a rant disguised as a bad Batman adventure.