Page 3 of 33 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: MLB 2016 Season

Unadjusted Human on CBR SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

I don't follow much MLB , but has the Yankees spent any big money this year ? I always enjoy the Yankees spending a shitload to win.
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “ Well hell just froze over. Because CM Punk is back in the WWE.” - Jcogginsa.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.
    "Revel in What You Are." Bray Wyatt.

2 more days until the first Spring Training games are played.

Phillies play a pro/college game today, so I guess that's technically the first game of the year.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Joker View Post
    Phillies play a pro/college game today, so I guess that's technically the first game of the year.
    If memory serves, the Phils opened their spring training slate against a college team last year too. They lost that game, a precursor to their 99 loss season.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Those pro/college games are weird. Gotta hurt opening with and losing that.

Mariners open Wednesday with a charity game against the Padres. Followed by another Padres game... stupid Vedder series nonsense.

Red Sox have opened spring training games with a double header against Boston College and Northeastern University for several years now. The outcome doesn't really matter in these games, it''s a chance for them to get every player in camp some game action and for pitches to throw essentially a live bating practice session in a game situation. Most pitchers aren't using their full repertoire, instead focusing on repeating delivery effectively and working on location. The result is sometimes they get hit hard. Usually players play in one game or the other, not both, so it's a chance for coaches to get an early extended look at some of the players in camp or for the players to get some game situation reps on defense and at-bats. Outcome sin any spring training game is irrelevant, but especially these. In most cases, pitchers aren't pulling out their full repertoire of pitches and going game intensity until there last start or two of the pre-season (or appearances in the final few games if relievers). Pre-season games in MLB have even less bearing on regular season results than NFL pre-season games do.

But it is a thrill for the college players to play against major leaguers, and it builds good will for teams with their communities.

-M

Still, losing to college kids. Heh.

For whatever it's worth, my Phils beat the University of Tampa 8-3 yesterday. Yay.

^Nice!

With ST games starting tomorrow, here's the fangraphs cool standings for 2016. http://www.fangraphs.com/coolstandings.aspx

Phillies with 98 losses. Yuck.

Mariners at 82 wins. Yay! I think they can do better than that if everyone comes together as hoped. There's a lot of ifs in there, but that's potentially one of the best rotations in Baseball this year. Fingers crossed!

Mets projected for 90 wins. I can see that happening.

Astros will be interesting to watch. To see if they can repeat. I don't know...

Indians projected to be a big winner, which, **** the Indians. Change your logo, dickholes.

Royals way down in last place there, which I don't see happening. I doubt they'll threepeat, but I don't see them in last place, either.

Giants in an even year...?

Anyway, projections don't mean much in reality, but they're fun to look at.

Jays Phillies underway on MLB TV.

A couple of co-workers and I set the over/under on Phillies wins at 70. I took over at 72, they'll still bring up the rear in NL East, but they won't be quite the horror show they were last season.

I could see the Royals repeating as AL Champs. They don't look like the sort of team that'll get fat and happy, and the competition, save perhaps for Toronto which will outhit everybody, isn't up to K.C.'s level.

As for the Giants, don't dismiss them. It's an even year, so it's their time. NL West will be theirs for the taking, and only St. Louis and maybe Washington could give them a fight for the pennant.

I dunno, Dodgers spent a lot of money, could be some legs on them again this year. Dbacks, not sure they'll win big, but they'll be a presence in the NL West.

Quote Originally Posted by Joker View Post
    I dunno, Dodgers spent a lot of money, could be some legs on them again this year. Dbacks, not sure they'll win big, but they'll be a presence in the NL West.
    L.A. losing Greinke will hurt their rotation, perhaps more than they know. As for the Snakes, I don't know if they're fully ready to contend.

I'm not sure either, but I think they'll be a presence this year at the very least. Disruption, you know? Because that's not coming from the Rockies or Padres this year... or any year.
    Last edited by Joker; 03-01-2016 at 12:10 PM.

Just for fun, my VERY early predictions for the 2016 season:

NL East: Mets
    NL Central: Cardinals
    NL West: Giants
    Wild Cards: Cubs, Nationals

AL East: Toronto
    AL Central: Kansas City
    AL West: Texas
    Wild Cards: Orioles, Angels