Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Avengers #31 Review/Spoilers

Overall I thought this was a strong enough issue. We get a good taste of the new future Cap is hanging out in and a nice moment where he has a nightmare of the Illuminati calling him stupid. The jerks. I reviewed the issue with pictures here if anyone is interested.

It is a neat little idea to have the heroes floating into the future as we get to explore the coolest part of time travel stories, that being seeing what’s different. This issue doesn’t explore the world, but we get a good sense of what has happened. It might make some people shudder who read Age of Ultron, but we’re in and out fast enough so that it doesn’t matter. There’s a bit of hubbub spent on Black Widow which I’m not entirely sure why, but that may be due to her being important in a future issue. In this one she’s given some time to speak about guilt and what not, but beyond that her story seems to be a pointless affair.

The biggest spoiler is that an spoilers:
    Ultron robot made to be and look like Captain America puts a bomb in Cap's brain. For some reason this bot wants to destroy a future.
    end of spoilers

Thoughts?
    Comic reviews answering the question "Is it good?" every Wednesday here.

Honestly, I found it to be pretty terrible storytelling. Yet another future which probably doesn't matter, more plot points that we don't yet understand, and no information for the reader to get a better grasp of what's going on - why we're even travelling to the future storywise. Thor serving Ultron because he sits on the Asgardian throne also seems completely out-of-character. I was initially very enthusiastic but I'm getting increasingly annoyed with what Hickman is doing here.
    Last edited by ShaokhaN; 06-18-2014 at 08:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ShaokhaN View Post
    Honestly, I found it to be pretty terrible storytelling. Yet another future which probably doesn't matter, more plot points that we don't yet understand, and no information for the reader to get a better grasp of what's going on - why we're even travelling to the future storywise. Thor serving Ultron because he sits on the Asgardian throne also seems completely out-of-character. I was initially very enthusiastic but I'm getting increasingly annoyed with what Hickman is doing here.
    It's all about making us wait in anticipation it seems.

I haven't gotten a handle on what Hickman is doing here yet, so I'm going to reread this arc as a complete story once it wraps.
    Pull List:

Marvel Comics: Venom, X-Men, Black Panther, Captain America, Eternals, Warhammer 40000.
    DC Comics: The Last God
    Image: Decorum

Quote Originally Posted by Spear of Bashenga View Post
    I haven't gotten a handle on what Hickman is doing here yet, so I'm going to reread this arc as a complete story once it wraps.
    When I finished reading this issue my first thought was, "can Hickman ever write a good single issue or is it all intended to be read as a trade?"

Quote Originally Posted by Nosocialize View Post
    When I finished reading this issue my first thought was, "can Hickman ever write a good single issue or is it all intended to be read as a trade?"
    When was the last one shot type of story Hickman has done?
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

"Comic Book Reviewer" InformationGeek's Avatar

It's all about making us wait in anticipation it seems.
    And we'll keep on waiting... and waiting... and waiting... waiting... waiting...

Until something actually happens.

It's all about the trade and nothing else.

Quote Originally Posted by InformationGeek View Post
    And we'll keep on waiting... and waiting... and waiting... waiting... waiting...

Until something actually happens.

It's all about the trade and nothing else.
    What annoys me is there are plenty of books on the shelves that are fantastic single issue reads but they are still telling a longer story. Sigh.

BANNED

Where I do have my dissapointments for this issue..... I can safely say I'm heavily interested still. The message that was given to Natasha and the bomb in cap to change the future.

Quote Originally Posted by Hariel0079 View Post
    Where I do have my dissapointments for this issue..... I can safely say I'm heavily interested still. The message that was given to Natasha and the bomb in cap to change the future.
    It's the bomb and the art that have successfully vested in me to continue reading.

The Rogue Planet was a single issue arc right?

Quote Originally Posted by Hariel0079 View Post
    Agree.

I think the Ultron Cap was trying to change the future not to destroy it? And what the Illuminati said to Cap only happened in his head 'cause there was no way they actually said that, no.
    And, according to what the Ultron Widow told Nat, the Avengers might arrest Tony as soon as they all get back to Earth. Feel Kind of exciting about that (x
    Last edited by SHUKOI; 06-18-2014 at 10:26 AM.

From what I understood, the future of next issue is gonna defeat the future of this issue thanks to what Ultron Widow said to present Widow.

How many cycles of Iron Man becoming the bad guy is Marvel going to run before it tires them. Wow that Illuminati page really showed how big their egos have swollen laughing behind Cap's back the whole time.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by ShaokhaN View Post
    Yeah, I feel like I keep veering from feeling encouraged to feeling annoyed with Hickman's Avengers and this was an issue that left me annoyed. I expect that another issue will have me veering back to encouraged and I do have faith that, ultimately, Hickman will leave us with a grandiose, well thought out Avengers tale but, man, it has to have occurred to folks at Marvel that Hickman wasn't the best choice to put in charge of such a big franchise. Long range plans are one thing but as Slott has shown on Spidey, that doesn't mean that progress from issue to issue has to be so ponderous. I can't fault Hickman - this is totally in line with his style so he's bringing to the table what you'd expect he'd bring but it's clear his approach not such a great fit with The Avengers. Hopefully Ewing or Soule or just anyone with a better sense of action and pacing will be put at the helm when Hickman's tenure is over.