Mighty Member

Default Did Warren Ellis really hate Jack Kirby?

I've never read The Authority, but I've seen reviews that say the book really trashed The King. Is this so? And was Ellis(was it him or someone else, I don't quite remember) ever called out on it?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by williamtheday View Post
    I've never read The Authority, but I've seen reviews that say the book really trashed The King. Is this so? And was Ellis(was it him or someone else, I don't quite remember) ever called out on it?
    That was when Ellis had already left and Mark Millar had taken over the book.

And yeah, didn't seem like an affectionate parody at all to me.

BANNED

The ire is more aimed at Marvel and D.C. In the end the Authority actually recruits Dr. Jacob Krigstein to work with them. I guess the metaphor is "Superhero comics are fine, if you do them our way."

Invincible Member

The story you're thinking of was written by Mark Millar. And while I think the story did Kirby no favors, I don't think it was due to any dislike of the man. I think it's just Millar trying to be shocking and irreverent. Keep in mind this is the story where "batman" attacks/possibly rapes "capt america" with a jack hammer...
    Last edited by ed2962; 02-11-2016 at 06:30 PM.

Ellis showed great reverence for Kirby in his series of essays "Do Anything".

Millar? Don't really care what he thinks.
    "It's not whether you win or lose, it's whether I win or lose." - Peter David, on life

"If you can't say anything nice about someone, sit right here by me." - Alice Roosevelt Longworth, on manners

"You're much stronger than you think you are." - Superman, on humankind

All-New, All-Different Marvel Checklist

In a nutshell: Mark Millar being Mark Millar
    What we used to call life has very little worth these days. Welcome to the very edge.
    --Prince Namor (Earth-616)

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    The story you're thinking of was written by Mark Millar. And while I think the story did Kirby no favors, I don't think it was due to any dislike of the man. I think it's just Millar trying to be shocking and irreverent. Keep in mind this is the story where "batman" attacks/possibly rapes "capt america" with a jack hammer...
    It's what he does. Normally that sort of thing doesn't bother me in comics/TV/movies, I just tune it out (you also have to go pretty far to shock me). But I've read a lot of good stories by Millar and know he's capable of delivering them without the shock factor. So it's disappointing.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by CSTowle View Post
    It's what he does. Normally that sort of thing doesn't bother me in comics/TV/movies, I just tune it out (you also have to go pretty far to shock me). But I've read a lot of good stories by Millar and know he's capable of delivering them without the shock factor. So it's disappointing.
    Agreeing 100%. His best stories may be those he did for the animated universe comics.

Mighty Member

Sorry, Warren Ellis, I should have rechecked the facts.

BANNED

Eh, pretty easy mistake. Same book, both writers from the UK, similar style (pushing buttons, though I'd argue Ellis uses his shock moments to enhance the story rather than substitute for it), back to back on the book.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by CSTowle View Post
    This is a person who is willing to say and do anything to get ahead, it's hardly unexpected given that he once upon a time apparently tried to equate one of his former employers with a child molester when just a few years back he had waxed about that same person helping him out financially.
    Last edited by Bruce Wayne; 02-14-2016 at 01:39 PM.

BANNED

Can't say as I'm familiar with that story, got a link?