Super Moderator

Default "Gotham's" Azrael Will Be "Different Than Anything We've Seen in Comics," Says EP

Executive producer John Stephens discussed Azrael's arrival on "Gotham" and how the show's version of the character will have a "brand-new twist."

Full article here.

Oh you TV people.
    We know you love to change stuff because the "general audience" is too dumb to get into something meant for teenagers.
    The only question when stuff like this happens is how far away from the books are you going.

Is her just going to carry the costume and the name? Is he even going to wear the costumes?

You know what would be cool? If he has a batman-like costume that Bruce ends up imitating.

This show has officially jumped the shark. Now all we need is ras al ghul to show up to seal the deal because this is gotham: batmans rouges minus the batman.

I wonder how accurate to any of Azrael's comic looks it will be?

All-New Member

For the longest time I wanted this show to just be CSI: Gotham Central. But it will never be. So I decided to engage it on it's own terms, and I began to enjoy it.

Ultimately, young Bruce Wayne's story is the least interesting to me. I don't really care about continuity or how a "real" chronology would work in order for him to become Batman.

Batman's story has been told a million times already.

I like that the show is strip mining the source material for Azrael, Court of Owls, and the usual rogues and remixing it. It makes an easy leap to see a rich orphan think dressing up in a costume to fight crime is the correct response given the crazy environment he grows up in.

This show's Bruce isn't going to think dressing up as a bat is the appropriate response to scare muggers or mob guys away, it's a natural response to a world where every bad guy is already an extreme. He's growing up in a city that already has a guy killing cops with a freeze gun! Police criminologists and district attorneys become super villains! There are already vigilantes!

By the time this show's young Bruce Wayne would become Batman, Gotham would be the apocalyptic circus we see in the Arkham City video games. I want the show to get MORE bonkers. I want things to be so off the rails that Bruce Wayne becoming Batman barely measures up in response to what the city has become.

It is forgoing the idea that the criminals went from 40s style gangsters to super villains in response to Batman's presence. It is showing that s that the city itself is creating these people, the good and the bad.

The city is the main character. That's why the show is called Gotham.

All-New Member

Ideally, this show's Bruce Wayne would grow up to be Bane, not Batman.

Fantastic Member Iluvitloud1976's Avatar

lol, well knowing it's Gotham Azrael will probably be some astronaut who goes into outer space & comes back then loses it, & begins to think he's some sort of inter-dimensional Knight. I do watch the show & while they take many questionable liberties with the source material my biggest gripe is that a young Bruce Wayne should be absent from it. If they don't write him off by this upcoming season then I could safely say the show is jumping the shark. The actor that plays him has to be like what? 15 or 16 now? At some point Bruce Wayne does leave Gotham to train his body & mind. I wouldn't be surprised if the writers of Gotham try to rewrite Batman's origin.
    ".......he's wrong, we're not wearing costumes" -Leonardo, 1984

Wants Michael Lane!

Quote Originally Posted by ospfwildcard View Post
    This show has officially jumped the shark. Now all we need is ras al ghul to show up to seal the deal because this is gotham: batmans rouges minus the batman.
    I'd say that's actually been its strength. Instead of Batman smashing villains down like the judgement of a god, it's just Jim trying to save individual lives in a world where criminal warlords rule the day and only their inherent rivalry keeps one from attaining absolute power.

LOL, this show is so dumb.

The identity of Azrael has been all but revealed, big spoilers so don't click the link if you don't want to know:

https://twitter.com/gothamtvbr/statu...61334625996803
    When you crush an ant beneath your foot, do feel remorse? No. Is this because you are evil or because you recognize yourself as a higher form of life? This is what the Wizard could not understand. If I have the powers of the gods, then am I not a god myself? Should I not be treated as such?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by ospfwildcard View Post
    Um . . . what else would it be?

I mean, it kind of has to be, doesn't it? If they didn't include any of the things that make Gotham identifiable as Gotham, then it would just be another cop show only the cop in question is named Jim Gordon. Personally, I like it. It has some of the most relatable versions of the Batman cast. Heck, I like kid Bruce Wayne better than almost any filmed version of Bruce Wayne there is out there (possibly because he's the only one that shows any interest in doing any kind of detective work).

As for Azrael, I'm just surprised. I usually associate him with the '90s era of comics that I grew up in. An era that most people seem to want to ignore or skip over. I mean, heck, it took until Young Justice season 2 to get a Tim Drake that actually acted like Tim Drake. It took until The Dark Knight Rises to get a decent big screen Bane (the one in the cartoons was okay, I guess). I wonder if it'll be John Paul Valley or Michael Lane or maybe some guy who's supposed to precede both of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Iluvitloud1976 View Post
    lol, well knowing it's Gotham Azrael will probably be some astronaut who goes into outer space & comes back then loses it, & begins to think he's some sort of inter-dimensional Knight. I do watch the show & while they take many questionable liberties with the source material my biggest gripe is that a young Bruce Wayne should be absent from it. If they don't write him off by this upcoming season then I could safely say the show is jumping the shark. The actor that plays him has to be like what? 15 or 16 now? At some point Bruce Wayne does leave Gotham to train his body & mind. I wouldn't be surprised if the writers of Gotham try to rewrite Batman's origin.
    The producers love David Mazous. He and Camren Bicondova aren't going anywhere. They'll probably be on Gotham until the end of the series if they don't get a better gig.

Fantastic Member Iluvitloud1976's Avatar

Lol, as dumb as Arrow or Flash?
    ".......he's wrong, we're not wearing costumes" -Leonardo, 1984