Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Default What do we know about Rebirth so far?

Well, we know that the supposed meet up between "new" Superman and "old" Superman has either been put on hold or taken out of the books altogether. Whether or not this has any connection to Rebirth we don't know. We DO know that the Golden Age JSA is coming back in some form or another. Current speculation says that Rebirth is anything from a hard reboot to merging of "new" versions of characters and "old" versions. What little we do know is that it's supposed to be designed to make the books more in line with the movies or at least other franchises. Now, not having read every article on the subject, do we know anything else?

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    Well, we know that the supposed meet up between "new" Superman and "old" Superman has either been put on hold or taken out of the books altogether. Whether or not this has any connection to Rebirth we don't know. We DO know that the Golden Age JSA is coming back in some form or another. Current speculation says that Rebirth is anything from a hard reboot to merging of "new" versions of characters and "old" versions. What little we do know is that it's supposed to be designed to make the books more in line with the movies or at least other franchises. Now, not having read every article on the subject, do we know anything else?
    Not much, no.

Extraordinary Member John Ossie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rod G View Post
    Not much, no.
    Seconded. It seems to be a load of speculation at the moment. Plus I haven't really heard anything from DC themselves yet personally.

All you the knowns you said are really rumors with no evidence. All we have is what Tom King said which is that DC is trying to bring back some key elements that were lost in the introduction new 52.

Well, we know that Johns and Fabok will stay on Justice League, and Pat Gleason strongly hinted on social media that he has projects lined up at DC post-Rebirth. Greg Pak won't be writing Action Comics, Scott Snyder wont be writing the Batman title, and Van Jensen is off The Flash. Then there's the rumors from Bleeding Cool: The Batman and Superman titles will go weekly, with Tom King writing the former and Pete Tomasi the latter, Scott Snyder will move to Detective Comics, the team-up books with Superman, Batman and Wonder Woman will be replaced by a Trinity book, and other new titles include The Super Man, New Green Lantern and Man of Steel.
    As of now:
    All-Star Batman, Batman, Doom Patrol, The Flash, The Fix, The Flintstones, Green Valley, Hadrian's Wall, The Hellblazer, Moonshine, New Super-Man, Suicide Squad, Superman, 'Tec, Unfollow

Mighty Member

We don't know anything yet. Some creators have mentioned they are off certain books, or have new things coming up but DC hasn't actually announced anything themselves yet.

Off the top of my head, Snyder is off Batman but apparently still has plans with the character, Seeley/King are off Grayson but also still have plans for Dick, Gail Simone has implied she has a new DC book coming, Johns/Van Sciver are probably working on whatever the "main" Rebirth book is, Pak is apparently only on Teen Titans for one arc, Van Jensen is writing Flash solo for #50-52 without Venditti and then he's off the book for good, Starfire is ending. Might have missed some tidbits.

It's possible the Supermen meet-up got pushed to #52 because the relaunch may be a new development.
    #50 might have been chosen previously because #52 wasn't originally planned to be anything special. Just another issue.

Or they may have felt the meet up would be more newsworthy for the final issue leading into Rebirth.

Or the meet up, itself, evolved into part of the Rebirth event and got held over until then.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

Quote Originally Posted by vartox View Post
    We don't know anything yet. Some creators have mentioned they are off certain books, or have new things coming up but DC hasn't actually announced anything themselves yet.

Off the top of my head, Snyder is off Batman but apparently still has plans with the character, Seeley/King are off Grayson but also still have plans for Dick, Gail Simone has implied she has a new DC book coming, Johns/Van Sciver are probably working on whatever the "main" Rebirth book is, Pak is apparently only on Teen Titans for one arc, Van Jensen is writing Flash solo for #50-52 without Venditti and then he's off the book for good, Starfire is ending. Might have missed some tidbits.
    I think the Silvestri Batman title may be part of it. They may have pulled a Batwoman and postponed it until the launch.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

One correction, its NOT designed to make the comics fall more in line with the movies. Last rumor we heard, it suggested the exact opposite, that the books were going to be going in their own directions. The synchronization is just going to be in the fact that the characters you'll see get the most attention in the comics now will be the ones with movie/tv incarnations. They won't be forced to match, however. Those books should have the freedom to be their own separate incarnations just as always.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

I consider this the strongest lead and it was posted in another thread. Tom King on a podcast:

http://www.thecourtofnerds.com/podca...king-interview

"I think this is safe to say, is that...I've talked a lot to Geoff Johns and Scott Snyder, and Dan Didio, about what rebirth is, and sort of what rebirth means for the company, and I think is going to become clear but...I think the idea behind it is to strengthen DC; to recognize some of the faults that happened with the New 52 relaunch, and fix those things, and go to the core of what makes DC strong....I think in the New 52...in trying to reinvent things, they kind of threw out the icons with the bathwater...(talks about 1.5 year old being able to verbally recognize DC characters). The idea behind Rebirth...is to bring that kind of iconic joy that drives the DC Universe as opposed to the Marvel Universe forward."
    Last edited by Lightning Rider; 02-11-2016 at 08:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bogotazo View Post
    I consider this the strongest lead and it was posted in another thread. Tom King on a podcast:

Thanks for posting that. And it is the strongest lead I've seen regarding Rebirth at the moment.

Tom King has mentioned in interviews Rebirth would bring back elements of old continuity to the current DC Universe.

Edit: Ah, someone posted the podcast already.

Quote Originally Posted by Bogotazo View Post

I like what I'm hearing, especially the parts about recognizing the faults with the New 52, fixing them, and going back to the core of what makes DC great and the "iconic joy" of the DCU. Now, if they can apply this goal in the best way possible and get enough attention and good writing directed towards it, we might finally see an upswing for DC .

I wonder if King talking with Johns, Snyder, and Didio is because he's heavily involved with Rebirth (and moving up in the company) or because those three are the main architects of Rebirth?

Quote Originally Posted by John Ossie View Post
    Seconded. It seems to be a load of speculation at the moment. Plus I haven't really heard anything from DC themselves yet personally.
    Thank you for replying, John Ossie.

^^Erm...You're welcome Rod G. I guess?