Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Nope, I meant iconic. His parents being dead before Clark's adult years was a constant staple until the original Crisis. They appeared in publication rather steadily from the 50's onward due to the Superboy series, but in present day Superman stories they were always deceased. In the scheme of Superman's long history, having them alive into his adult years is a fairly recent, and aberrational development.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 02-11-2016 at 09:24 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Bogotazo View Post
    Since when is Superman being an orphan on Earth part of his iconic status?!

Did you mean to use the word "tragic"? DC certainly seems to treat the two words as synonymous nowadays.
    Since he was created.

What Sacred Knight is getting at is that Superman's parents having passed on is more iconic than his parents being alive, which is true. At the very least, Jonathan dying before Clark becomes Superman is certainly more iconic than him sticking around after Clark's in Metropolis with the Superman gig.

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ina heshima kwa Jumuia kama ka View Post
    Since he was created.

What Sacred Knight is getting at is that Superman's parents having passed on is more iconic than his parents being alive, which is true. At the very least, Jonathan dying before Clark becomes Superman is certainly more iconic than him sticking around after Clark's in Metropolis with the Superman gig.
    Jonathan I could see for sure. But I just think a change that's been around for 40 years vs the 48 years before that kind of works against the argument it's what makes him iconic. How many defining Superman stories include the Kents? And how many focus on his orphanhood? I can see the other viewpoint better after thinking about it but I'd still hesitate to call his orphanhood part of his iconic status.

BANNED

Jonathan I could see for sure. But I just think a change that's been around for 40 years vs the 48 years before that kind of works against the argument it's what makes him iconic. How many defining Superman stories include the Kents? And how many focus on his orphanhood? I can see the other viewpoint better after thinking about it but I'd still hesitate to call his orphanhood part of his iconic status.
    The Kents sticking around into Superman's adulthood has been around for 25 years, not 40.

Whether his parents are alive or not probably isn't high on most people's list when it comes to Superman as an icon, but Superman did become an icon long before 1986, and I think when most people think of Superman and the topic of whether the Kents are alive or not in his adult years, they'll go with them being dead.

As for defining stories, I think it depends on what you consider to be defining Superman stories.

The Kents sticking around into Superman's adulthood has been around for 25 years, not 40.

Whether his parents are alive or not probably isn't high on most people's list when it comes to Superman as an icon, but Superman did become an icon long before 1986, and I think when most people think of Superman and the topic of whether the Kents are alive or not in his adult years, they'll go with them being dead.

As for defining stories, I think it depends on what you consider to be defining Superman stories.
    Kents have been around since John Bynre's soft reboot around 1985. Most comic book readers who have been reading comics since 85 will go with them being alive.....unless they have been reading since Flashpoint
    I have no beef with Vegans

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

If we go by 1986 it's 30 (sorry I'm bad at math).

I guess you are right, it depends. But I find the part in bold a bit shocking. Especially given the impact the Reeve movies had. I suppose that's my biased sampling but I would tend to think more people consider his parents a common thread in his top tales, at least more thematically valuable than their mere absence. This looks like a job for...the Superman forum!

(Thanks for the responses btw).

BANNED

Just fiX kon-El and DC will be saved.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by upgrayedd View Post
    Kents have been around since John Bynre's soft reboot around 1985. Most comic book readers who have been reading comics since 85 will go with them being alive.....unless they have been reading since Flashpoint
    That's if most comic readers from 85', started reading in 85'. If they were reading Superman comics before that, there's no way to say if the majority of old readers went on to consider the Post-Crisis revisions to be more iconic than what they had read prior.

By Superman 85' Superman was already a cultural icon. As an icon, most people weren't formulating their opinion of what made him iconic on the comics at the time, but just the general idea of Superman, in which whether the Kents lived or died didn't play a huge part in.

I think some of adaptations like Lois & Clark, and Superman: TAS helped with spreading the idea of the Kents living into Clark's adult years, but I don't think any of it made a lasting impression as far most people are concerned.

If we go by 1986 it's 30 (sorry I'm bad at math).

I guess you are right, it depends. But I find the part in bold a bit shocking. Especially given the impact the Reeve movies had. I suppose that's my biased sampling but I would tend to think more people consider his parents a common thread in his top tales, at least more thematically valuable than their mere absence. This looks like a job for...the Superman forum!

(Thanks for the responses btw).
    I'm going with 25 because Kents living into Clark's adult years was nixed in the New 52, so it's 1986 to 2011, instead of 2016.

You bring up a good point with the Superman movie, but Martha kind of disappears from the movie after Clark leaves for the Arctic. We know she's alive because of Superman IV and Returns, but it's another case of not making a lasting impression.

And you're welcome.

The rebirth limited series seems to have some tie to the Batman v Superman movie. The comics might reboot the superhero environment to be more similar to that of the batman v superman movie with most people not trusting the vigilantes. Batman v Superman movie could end with the start of the threat of Darkseid. For the comics environment, I would prefer to see Darkseid and his elites working in disguise on earth similar to Final Crisis. Maybe Rebirth limited series will be similar to Legends which had Darkseid making the people turn against the superheroes.
    Last edited by colonyofcells; 02-11-2016 at 10:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    Nope, I meant iconic. His parents being dead before Clark's adult years was a constant staple until the original Crisis.
    I am certainly more accustomed to the Kents being dead before Clark becomes Superman than their being alive. And the fact is given a panel in Action Comics #1. But I'm not sure that most people familiar with Superman - even if they have an opinion on which situation is more common, or appropriate to the character, and so on - feel very strongly about whether this is a defining or important aspect of the Superman mythos.

I've been reading Superman on and off for decades, and when people say (just for instance) "if they reboot Superman, what do you think needs to be included?", the question of whether the Kents should be alive or dead isn't high on my list of considerations, one way or the other.

Of course, that's just me. Other people may feel more strongly about it.
    Doctor Bifrost

"If Roy G. Bivolo had seen some B&W pencil sketches, his whole life would have turned out differently." http://doctorbifrost.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by stephens2177 View Post
    Just fiX kon-El and DC will be saved.
    Don't forget Bart and Tim and Cassie!

BANNED

I consider this the strongest lead and it was posted in another thread. Tom King on a podcast:

http://www.thecourtofnerds.com/podca...king-interview
    wow this seems to be a good thing. so DC recognizing new 52 was a mistake? haaha crazy

Quote Originally Posted by brandnewfan View Post
    Don't forget Bart and Tim and Cassie!
    original wally west, Lois and clark

Hopefully Rebirth can get back the long time readers that the new 52 & ANAD Marvel drove away.

Hoping this is where Milestone returns with Earth-M. Ready for the "iconic joy" of Static.

Extraordinary Member John Ossie's Avatar

With all this talk about Superman's parents, it reminds me of the Dean Cain series where they were still alive and well LOL.