Default Ok Hawkman fans, you can give me one run or one TPB to read, what is it?

Hawkman fans, I know hardly anything about the character. I do know that his origin stories are kind of a mess over the years and they've changed.

So, if I can only read on TPB or a particular run of the comics, what would you recommend?

Astonishing Member The_Greatest_Username's Avatar

If you're only looking for a TPB, I'd recommend the Hawkworld miniseries by Tim Truman. It was recently reprinted. If you enjoy it there was an ongoing that followed it (it hasn't been collected in TPB form to my knowledge) for about 32 issues. You can probably find a bundle of the issues online.

Alternatively, you could also check out the Geoff Johns Hawkman omnibus. It's not my favorite run, but it is generally well liked by a lot of fans.

BANNED

Just one TPB? Hawkworld.

Hawkworld by Tim Truman or Geoff Johns Hawkman omnibus.

Mine would be Hawkman by Gardner Fox (Author), Joe Kubert (Illustrator). Great stuff.
    61l7S2OuWPL._SX322_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Hawkworld is easily my favorite Hawkman story of all-time, and one of the best comic book stories out there, period. However, for a good all-around feel for both Hawkman and Hawkgirl, as well as the dynamic that makes them so appealing, in my opinion, you really can't go wrong with Ben Raab and Michael Lark's Legend of the Hawkman. It's a three-issue mini-series that has yet to be reprinted, but if you can't find it at a local shop you can usually find it for a reasonable price on eBay.

Whichever of the two you ultimate decide to go with, though, I'm sure you'll have fun, and I hope you grow to love the character!
    Batman: I need your help finding a man named Vulko.
    Hawkman: You want him dead or alive?
    - Justice League #17

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

Hawkworld gets so much hype I'm going to have to pick it up soon. Can't go wrong with quality Hawkman.

Honestly, his brief appearance in the Throne of Atlantis story in the New 52 is what sparked my interest. He was such a bad a$$ in those fight scenes, I was blown away that he didn't appear in a JL spin off title after that.

Definitely Hawkworld by Timothy Truman

Incredible Member

Shadow War of Hawkman was one of my old favorites. It is not collected but you should be able to get the back issues for cheap.

Gotta go with Hawkworld. Not only is it an amazing Hawkman story but its just a damn fine comic all around.

But I cant recommend that without recommending the ongoing that followed it too. Thirty something issues, all of them well worth it.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Add another vote to Hawkworld, though I enjoyed the ongoing series more than the mini (HUGE Ostrander fan), but I don't know of any of it having been collected. Geoff Johns 's run on the series is also quite good, and there is an omnibus of it. A guilty pleasure of mine is the Hawkman: The Return of Golden Eagle TPB. Joe Bennet's art alone makes it worth for me, and the story is also quite good.

Peace

Jesus Christ, redeemer! The Whovian's Avatar

I don't care for Hawkman all that much but I really enjoyed Geoff Johns' run and Hawkman in the JSA.
    “Now faith, hope, and love remain, and the greatest of these is love.”--1 Corinthians 13:13

“You had a dream; I have a plan”--Cyclops

“There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes.”--The Doctor

Astonishing Member

Hawkman Omnibus By Geoff Johns