Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Superman: American Alien #4 (Preview)

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Misslane, I could literally kiss you right now!! I've been looking out for this preview like a hawk. Thanks a lot for posting it.

Can't wait for this issue. Dat art yo

Edit: Max Landis paying respects to Morrison AND Frank Quitely! I love it!
    Last edited by Superlad93; 02-12-2016 at 02:53 PM.

Louis, haha. I like that Clark is remembered from the "Bruce" fiasco and is probably going to score a story because of it.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Now that the hype has washed away (for the moment) I've got a few points of interest:

1. Seems Clark did learn to drive after all (Lana mentions the idea) and now no more bumming rides off Pete.

2. Well Clark, driving was fun while it lasted, huh? haha This isn't Smallville were everyone knows everyone and you can park, run into the house real quick and then come back to a safe car. Live and learn, man.

3. I'd never really put much thought into the idea that Oliver, Lex, and Bruce were basically the most famous and power people in the country, AND they were all roughly the same age. They all have their unique quirks. They're like if Wall Street and Silicon Valley had kids and they all looked like movie stars. This twenty somethings ruling the world and everyone just waiting to see what they do. Interesting idea indeed

4. Lois freakin' Lane, man! I'm really into how smart and eloquent she comes off.

5. Her and Clark's interaction starting from "I thought you were a man" was a really fun move I thought.

6. Clark's first alter ego lives on! And it might just get him an interview. This has a lot of potential to play out rather interestingly.

7. Dat art though!!!!!

Clark's facial structure reminds me a bit of Tim Sale and Superman For All Seasons. Wonder if that was on Lee's mind.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    Louis, haha. I like that Clark is remembered from the "Bruce" fiasco and is probably going to score a story because of it.
    The "Louis" thing reminded me of this scene from the Season 7 (150th) Smallville episode "Apocalypse" when Clark experiences a timeline where he never arrived on Earth.

I never realized till a while ago how prominent the Louis typo was that it became a running gag.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

A direct reference to Starfish Island! I see we're going old school with the GA history! Lois almost looks Asian in this which would be an interesting way to go with her. But I didn't see any reference to Clark's time as "Bruce".

Click the link, there's a couple more pages on the site.

I think the Louis gag goes back a long way. Landis might have gotten it from this (go to 1:48) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PiuTMnSVRwA

That's the first thing that popped up in my mind.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by misslane View Post
    The "Louis" thing reminded me of this scene from the Season 7 (150th) Smallville episode "Apocalypse" when Clark experiences a timeline where he never arrived on Earth.

hahaha

well clark already started goofing around Lois. and oliver queen is really that dumb, second time he thinks clark is bruce?

No, he knows he's not really Bruce Wayne, he just calls him that jokingly.

Well to be fair, this preview and the issue before it really stress that Bruce hasn't actually been seen in the pubic eye (or by people he's known) since he was 12 years old. Bruce has literally never taken a public interview.

But with that said when Oliver goes up to Clark thinking he's Bruce he says "Bruce" in quotation marks. When this is written out it's usually meant to signify sarcasm or facetiousness. So there's a good chance Oliver now knows. It's possible Barb told him and put in a good word for our young mr. Kent (yes Clark did tell her his name in issue 3). There's a very good chance Oliver is already Green Arrow (given he's back from the island) and knows of the real Bruce. Ultimately we won't know till the issue is out. But I'm more than fine with either take.

Few thoughts: I'm fascinated by how comparatively small Clark looks in the face of these three modern day titans. I'm really thinking that this issue might find some parallels in mythology. This is after all Landis' issue that's gonna be "the one that makes you think". I'm thinking (ha) that given the Greek-like imagery on the cover and the title, "Owl" (Athena god of wisdom's Owl maybe?), we might be in for something interesting. The most obvious idea is owls as the birds that question ("who") and reporters ask questions.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Morrison Boulevard and Quietly Street, heh.

Utterly flawless art, here. Beyond that, not much to go off of. Funny seeing Oliver Queen given so much attention in this series, I never took him as a leading figure in the global market. He's wealthy but not like Lex Luthor is wealthy. In comics it always seems wealth is exaggerated. It would be nice seeing some fresh characters as the 1%ers, not just Batman and Green Arrow. Bruce Wayne, while I'm on topic, is old money and wouldn't have this kind of role either. Just weird always seeing the rich as heroic, rarely does that happen outside of Batman comics. Plus, I mainly prefer SUPERMAN stories to defer from overdoing it with cameos. Morrison handled this well in ALL STAR, by just having a Batman statue in the Fortress alongside Kal's other pals. No need to go overboard with it.

Lois looks beautiful though!

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

Sorry to jump in, but is this a story outside main continuity worth reading? Is that what it even is?