Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

Default Thoughts on "Lois & Clark: The New Adventures of Superman"?

I loved this show as a kid so much. It was what first made me fall in love with Superman. I was thinking of watching a few episodes again for nostalgia (particularly the one when the Kryptonians show up and he wears that awesome black and blue suit) and wondered what people thought of the show.

One thing I found kind of interesting is, from memory there wasn't much different between Clark and Superman. Neither one was a disguise of the other, as is so often portrayed. His personality remained fairly constant. I really liked his relationship with Lois as well.

Astonishing Member Dispenser Of Truth's Avatar

It was, if nothing else, a very interesting experiment in mapping 60s Superman storytelling principles onto a distinctly 80s/90s take: weird hijinks and transformations and relatively low-key threats happening to a "Clark is who I am, Superman is what I can do" version of the character (it even reverses the classic take on his hair - Superman has the slicked back hair, Clark has the most natural style). I really, really disliked the first season - it has maybe my least favorite version of Lois across all media in spite of Teri Hatcher's best efforts, and when the focus is on the relationship between her and Clark, that's a problem - but when it started devoting itself to weird done-in-one adventures, and especially when it introduced Tempus (ironically, a character who wouldn't have worked nearly as well on a better Superman TV show, at least for me), it started working pretty well for me. For me though, it's still at the bottom of the Superman TV show totem pole.
    Buh-bye

Astonishing Member DieHard200904's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bogotazo View Post
    I loved this show as a kid so much. It was what first made me fall in love with Superman. I was thinking of watching a few episodes again for nostalgia (particularly the one when the Kryptonians show up and he wears that awesome black and blue suit) and wondered what people thought of the show.

One thing I found kind of interesting is, from memory there wasn't much different between Clark and Superman. Neither one was a disguise of the other, as is so often portrayed. His personality remained fairly constant. I really liked his relationship with Lois as well.
    It did show how the relationship grew, from Lois liking Superman to learning to like Clark. That was cool.

I liked it. I felt the opposite of Dispenser of truth though. I enjoyed the First season best and stopped watching before the series ended. I remember the writers got switched after the first season so the tone does shift quite a bit. My favorite was the two part story with the government guy who hunted down aliens. I can picture his face but don't remember his name.

I should probably rewatch the show it's been so long. I remember really liking Lex Luthor in season one.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

LOIS AND CLARK was the Superman that I grew up with. I can't really say bad things about it. Sure, it is corny now but back then it was amazing to watch as a kid. Terri Hatcher was great and it holds up today. I have it all on DVD and it's still a really fun show to watch.

I found George Reeves AoS through watching L&C (the first season is kind of an updated take on it) and then eventually SMALLVILLE.

Astonishing Member

It was kind of hit-or-miss in retrospect. It had some nice characterizations if you could get past the 60's Batman reject villians and Moonlighting "inspired" idea that happy relationships kill shows.

Extraordinary Member

Easily my favorite live-action version of Superman, with great chemistry between the leads and a great Luthor. However it jumped the shark with the frog-clone and especially the New Krypton plots and never recovered during the last season.

For some reason I videotaped almost every episode of Lois & Clark but never bothered to watch them. Then when the Supergirl TV show started up I decided to watch them to see how they compare.
    I sort of expected them to be corny and dated, but they are surprisingly well done and still very entertaining. So I can see why I enjoyed the show so much when it first ran and why
    I bothered to tape the episodes. It's a shame they ruined the series with that idiotic Lois the frog-clone storyline that drove all the fans away. Because I think the series had the potential
    to last a few more seasons.

Phantom Zone Escapee manofsteel1979's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sunofdarkchild View Post
    Easily my favorite live-action version of Superman, with great chemistry between the leads and a great Luthor. However it jumped the shark with the frog-clone and especially the New Krypton plots and never recovered during the last season.
    First two seasons definitely the best. Teri Hatcher is a close second on the list of best Lois Lane's ever. (Erica Durance is first, Amy Adams third). Loved Dean as Clark, not so much Superman. John Shea second best Live Action Luthor to date (Michael Rosenbaum is first.) Campy sometimes but fun. In my head canon, Lois and Clark is the story of Superman of the SUPERGIRL tv show. (which actually works perfectly if you ignore the obvious differences between the two Jimmy's. I can see Calista Flockheart's Cat Grant evolving from Tracy Scoggins characterization.)

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dispenser Of Truth View Post
    It was, if nothing else, a very interesting experiment in mapping 60s Superman storytelling principles onto a distinctly 80s/90s take
    This. The "60s Superman storytelling principles" (or Silver Age storytelling principles) were the best part and, for me, the lasting legacy of the show. The show got the lightness and the fun that Superman comics can and should be very often. Wrong Superman/Clark idea, but right where it counted: tone, fun.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

Good stuff, good stuff, i enjoyed it fine back in the 90's. Dean Cain made a pretty decent Clark and his duo with Terry Hatcher worked good enough.

And good Lex. I still prefer Rosenbaum but good job anyway.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

It started airing my freshman year of high school and ended my senior year so if nothing else, there is the nostalgia element to it. I didn't care much for the post-Crisis Superman at the time so my judgement was and is somewhat clouded by that. Couple that with the fact that I always saw it as sort of making fun of the source material. That having been said, I see a lot of elements in Supergirl that are a lot like it. It invokes similar nostalgic feelings that L&C does for that reason. The show definitely went off the rails in the last couple seasons because I think you had a bunch of romance writers trying their hands at superhero and science fiction with mixed results.