Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Live-Action Moon Knight! (Ideas)

Moon Knight is one of those heroes people have been thinking should get a shot on Netlfix after their Phase One plans culminate in "The Defenders." How do you all think MK should be brought into the MCU? Should it be on Netflix or should it be movies? If MK is Marvel's Batman, should he emulate that franchise or stay more grounded with "Daredevil" and be part of that crowd? How crazy should MK be? Who should his supporting cast be? Should there be more ties to the MCU in his backstory to make things more connected than his comics counterpart? Is he more a street hero, should they explore his supernatural roots, or his Avengers history? White suit - yes or no? MK's got a rich enough history and enough comic book interpretations that a live-action version could be any number of things...

I have some ideas, but I'll reserve them and see what y'all say...

Most definitely a Netflix series that has a long and twisted narrative much like Ellis/wood/Bunns last run on the character. Or they should adapt Hustons "the bottom." I'm hoping the rumors are true that he will get a Netflix series in the future!

BANNED

If they do make a Moon Knight series, I hope they adapt the story "Hit It". Man that was powerful, even though it brought the run of creative team Doug Moench and Bill Sienkiewicz to and end. That was really an almost un-toppable issue.

But it would really work best as a Netflix series IMO. And then have him join the defenders along with some other street level characters.

I've seen a lot of talk about Moon Knight joining the Defenders lineup of heroes, but the real reason I started this thread is because I've started thinking that rather than be a second-tier hero in the Netflix MCU, maybe he should be a prominent member of the next phase of Marvel movies! By the time "The Defenders" hits, Netflix will have NYC street heroes well covered. But the movie universe doesn't have a prominent vigilante franchise - MK really could be Marvel's Batman, just less serious... and a lot more "Indiana Jones." Take into account his past as a mercenary, his quasi-mystical origins and kooky/schizo personalities, I can see Marvel making Marc Spector the most hands-on, "street" hero of the cinematic MCU but with a foot still in the Indiana Jones, Egyptian god, mystical bent. He has a kooky personality, a built-in cast of helpers, multiple identities that don't involve a mask (which helps give the actors more to do than fight and the CGI dept less to do as well), and fun toys/gadgets!

"Moon Knight" is my nomination for the MCU's Batman ... i.e. a more fun, adventurous version.

The biggest thing holding him back in live-action might be that costume though ... white won't work, maybe he'd look like a caped Storm Trooper. Silvery?... Black would be weird for him, and too much like Batman... Even if they just made the hood and cape white, that'd be weird, wouldn't it? Could that look good?

I always wondered why Disney/Marvel Studios does not do this:

Make stand alone movie universes featuring characters that they feel do not "fit" the MCU. What I'm saying is, Marvel Studios could do very little when Sony rebooted Spider-Man with the Amazing Spider-Man movies. Now, if they got full possession, they'd do everything in their power to make a Spider-Man movie that is part of the MCU. However, I know they don't have the same kind of motivation for a character like Blade? They own full rights to the character and granted, they'll have to release the movie a title that'll probably go like "Marvel's Blade", just they have to have the little "Marvel Daredevil" for the Netflix show, because Fox has copyrighted Daredevil as a movie title due to the release of Ben Affleck Fox movie.

Now, if Marvel Studios were to produce and release a fully standalone Blade movie or say a Moon Knight movie, without any connection to the MCU, they can have their cake and eat it too. If they release the movie and it doesn't succeed, they can always bring the character into the MCU, much like how they are going to do with the new Spider-Man movie. There are no time constraints with characters like Blade or Moon Knight. Given how crazy the MCU can potentially be (they are putting together the Infinity Gauntlet storyline, which will play with the concepts of space and time and various other cosmic ideas, they could very well just use a dimension warp to bring their characters in-house, if need be.

I think Marvel should really look into trying to make stand-alone movies, alongside what they are continuing with the MCU. A lot of their characters stand apart from the MCU, mainly the mutants. Making stand-alone movies gives them the freedom to continue making their MCU movies, but also be able to test the water to make movies about their characters without needing to alter them to fit a certain continuity.
    Find me on Instagram and Twitter - @arfguy
    https://whoaskd.com/

Think Moonknight works fine as a series. If they can get someone like jake gyllenhaal or the guy from dexter to play Marc. Someone that does crazy well. Also depends on the version of moonknight they adapt.

I hope you mean Spector is Marvel's Batman in the sense of crime fighting approach and nothing else.

I had an idea a while ago for who could play Moon Knight that was a bit out there but I think could work: Neil Patrick Harris. If he could do the intense, almost evilly psychotic acting that we've never seen him do I think he could portray the different identities really well and do the out of control Moon Knight.

If they did do a series it should be inspired by Moench and Huston not the constant costume changes of Ellis onwards (as much as I really like that stuff.) An extended and expanded The Bottom would work really well to tell a story over 13 episodes. Flashing backwards and forwards showing him being an addict mess and how he got there specifically and his life before and up to becoming Moon Knight too.

Quote Originally Posted by Arfguy View Post
    I always wondered why Disney/Marvel Studios does not do this:
    Make stand alone movie universes featuring characters that they feel do not "fit" the MCU.
    You mention Blade - he and Moon Knight could totally work as "Marvel" movies that - even if they take place in the same universe - don't have to touch the other properties unless they want. It's different for Spider-Man who's firmly planted in New York, but Blade isn't and Moon Knight's origin story isn't. I doubt they're in the business to make "stand alone movies" but movies that exist apart from the goings-on in the main MCU movies? I could see that.

Quote Originally Posted by Dayle88 View Post
    I hope you mean Spector is Marvel's Batman in the sense of crime fighting approach and nothing else.

I had an idea a while ago for who could play Moon Knight that was a bit out there but I think could work: Neil Patrick Harris. If he could do the intense, almost evilly psychotic acting that we've never seen him do I think he could portray the different identities really well and do the out of control Moon Knight.
    Yes, I mean "Marvel's Batman" in the sense that he's street and more grounded in that than the rest of the Avengers. And in terms of the cinematic universe since Netflix has NYC street heroes covered and they don't seem interested in having those characters crossover into the film franchises.

NPH as MK sounds as whacky and potentially genius as Keaton as Batman. As long as they get someone who can portray Spector's multiple personalities and still make him sympathetic, the action-hero part is secondary - any good actor can train for that.

Quote Originally Posted by Dayle88 View Post

If they did do a series it should be inspired by Moench and Huston not the constant costume changes of Ellis onwards (as much as I really like that stuff.) An extended and expanded The Bottom would work really well to tell a story over 13 episodes. Flashing backwards and forwards showing him being an addict mess and how he got there specifically and his life before and up to becoming Moon Knight too.
    NPH could be interesting but I dont know if I buy him whooping anyones ass. The acting is most important but someone like jake gyllenhaal who disappears into roles lately could give the whacky performance needed for Marc but also sell the action with ease. Having watched nightcralwer and then southpaw im convinced he can pull off Marcs kinda crazy.

Also think Black Panthers the closes thing to marvels batman. They both are set up as almost unbeatable with prep and constantly beat people they shouldnt. I believe BP once beat Ironman who had made a special suit just to fight BP, using like a bottle of windex or something stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    You mention Blade - he and Moon Knight could totally work as "Marvel" movies that - even if they take place in the same universe - don't have to touch the other properties unless they want. It's different for Spider-Man who's firmly planted in New York, but Blade isn't and Moon Knight's origin story isn't. I doubt they're in the business to make "stand alone movies" but movies that exist apart from the goings-on in the main MCU movies? I could see that.
    works for me.

the only moon knight i've really read was the ellis stuff and that was cool, his all white everything street clothes were a great look i thought. i need to get a hold of some of the old sienkiewicz stuff.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    The biggest thing holding him back in live-action might be that costume though ... white won't work, maybe he'd look like a caped Storm Trooper. Silvery?... Black would be weird for him, and too much like Batman... Even if they just made the hood and cape white, that'd be weird, wouldn't it? Could that look good?
    They should go with his current costume.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

It certainly has to be a hard R. Moon Knight is best as a weird psychological character. I'd use a lot of the Ellis mini run.

I second Jake Gyllenhaal.

I watched "Nightcrawler" last night specifically with MK in mind and I'm coming around to the idea of Gyllenhaal. He's shown he can do action, he can certainly act, and it would be the kind of "creative casting" that could generate interest.