Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by Phantom Roxas View Post
    True, and during that, Mephisto came up as a possible way to resolve the Clone Saga, but the writers and editors realized he didn't fit in Spider-Man and kept him out. Then One More Day used him, showing that One More Day went to lengths too stupid even for the Clone Saga. But at least by the end of the Clone Saga, Peter was still Spider-Man and married to Mary Jane. Doesn't make the Clone Saga any less of a mess, but they still owned up to it, whereas there is a stubborn refusal to admit that One More Day was a mistake.
    Because it worked out for them.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

BANNED

Which is why Renew Your Vows was the central Spider-Man book of Secret Wars, right? Yup, their plan to erase the marriage and get the audience to move past it totally worked explains why people are still clamoring for the return of the marriage to this day to the point that the same marriage was the crux of a big storyline and is getting a follow-up in May in the pages of Amazing Spider-Man. And all the new love interests stood up to Mary Jane, which is why Carlie was written out after Goblin Nation and has barely gotten any mention since then while Mary Jane being in Invincible Iron Man is worth of promotion.

BANNED

Man mephisto isn't coming back to Spider-Man, I hope not. Spider-Man losing to a evil being like that is rare in comicbooks, while paragons succeed in being wholesome and infallible beyond any evil force Peter(due to being an actual realistic character) fails to succeed in beating an obvious force of evil that spelled out he was going to win and enjoy it, and still won. Peter made the choice that even the most ideal would struggle making, the human perspective is vast and complex and I disrespect the execution of the book but I admire the idea of Spider-Man losing something dear to save something dear to him, and it could have ben worse, Mephisto could have killed MJ when Peter agreed to give the devil thier marriage making Peter more miserable and hopeless, but that would be reaching daredevil levels of grimdark at that point.

Which is why Renew Your Vows was the central Spider-Man book of Secret Wars, right? Yup, their plan to erase the marriage and get the audience to move past it totally worked explains why people are still clamoring for the return of the marriage to this day to the point that the same marriage was the crux of a big storyline and is getting a follow-up in May in the pages of Amazing Spider-Man. And all the new love interests stood up to Mary Jane, which is why Carlie was written out after Goblin Nation and has barely gotten any mention since then while Mary Jane being in Invincible Iron Man is worth of promotion.
    By what criteria would Marvel be unhappy with One More Day?

Sales are decent. The line is healthy, with new spinoff characters like Spider-Gwen, Silk and Miles Morales getting relaunches for their new titles. It's been over 200+ issues since One More Day, so the narrative has continued.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

BANNED

So because she "only" lasted a 100+ issues that means she was a failure? She lasted longer then many other love interests. I dont think anyone ever thought she was going to be the main love interest for ever. She fullfilled her role and she went away until someone wants to use her Again. Same thing has happened for pretty much every love interest in Spider-man comics.

Like it or not, and I for one hated OMD, but the result worked out pretty well for them. They wanted to tell stories about a non- married Peter and they manged to do it in a way where we now have more titles then for some time. Yeah some people want a married Spider-man and some dont. Then there is the rest of us that dont care as long as the stories are entertaining.

No, not connected to OMD. "Dead No More" is referring to villains returning, I believe, and not Ben or Ben R or Gwen (the regular Gwen) or even the marriage which would conflict with BNB's Iron Man currently.
    Pull List:

ASM/Spider-Gwen/Deadpool/Harley Quinn/Batman/All-New Wolverine/OML/Lady Mechanika/B.E.K./HarleyQuinn/Paper Girls/All-Star Batman / Gwenpool/Reborn

JLS Comics: Twitter: @ComicsJLS /// Instagram: JLSComics
    YouTube www.youtube.com/c/JLSComics
    F: http://www.facebook.com/JLSComics
    Check out my articles at www.comicbooked.com!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    By what criteria would Marvel be unhappy with One More Day?

Sales are decent. The line is healthy, with new spinoff characters like Spider-Gwen, Silk and Miles Morales getting relaunches for their new titles. It's been over 200+ issues since One More Day, so the narrative has continued.
    Didn't JMS show that sales after One More Day weren't decent? Spider-Gwen, Silk, and Miles didn't need One More Day for their new titles to be viable. Saying that One More Day worked out for them is attributing the success of other characters to a story that has absolutely nothing to do with them. The line is health in spite of One More Day. Just because one thing is good doesn't mean this other thing is less of a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Bor View Post
    So because she "only" lasted a 100+ issues that means she was a failure? She lasted longer then many other love interests. I dont think anyone ever thought she was going to be the main love interest for ever. She fullfilled her role and she went away until someone wants to use her Again. Same thing has happened for pretty much every love interest in Spider-man comics.

Like it or not, and I for one hated OMD, but the result worked out pretty well for them. They wanted to tell stories about a non- married Peter and they manged to do it in a way where we now have more titles then for some time. Yeah some people want a married Spider-man and some dont. Then there is the rest of us that dont care as long as the stories are entertaining.
    One love interest from Brand New Day lasted. So it doesn't really seem like One More Day did much for Peter to jump between multiple love interests if only one of them ended up mattering in the end. Except the "going way until someone wants to use her again" aspect is lost when Mary Jane is preferred, so it's not like that many people would want to use her again. Even if the stories are entertaining, did they actually need Peter to not be married for them to be good? I don't just mean "Can you only tell these stories when Peter is single?", because there are stories you can tell with a single Peter, but that doesn't necessarily mean they're good. And for the ones that are good, how did Peter's lack of a marriage make them good?

Quote Originally Posted by John Ossie View Post
    LOL Your posts are always short and absolute from what I've seen.
    Thank you, when I read bad ideas I won't hesitate to give a short answer.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mysterio1989 View Post
    Thank you, when I read bad ideas I won't hesitate to give a short answer.
    And what happens when you read good ideas? Are you equally terse?
    The spider is always on the hunt.

BANNED

One love interest from Brand New Day lasted. So it doesn't really seem like One More Day did much for Peter to jump between multiple love interests if only one of them ended up mattering in the end. Except the "going way until someone wants to use her again" aspect is lost when Mary Jane is preferred, so it's not like that many people would want to use her again. Even if the stories are entertaining, did they actually need Peter to not be married for them to be good? I don't just mean "Can you only tell these stories when Peter is single?", because there are stories you can tell with a single Peter, but that doesn't necessarily mean they're good. And for the ones that are good, how did Peter's lack of a marriage make them good?
    One new love interest yes. Black Cat was in there to and still matters. You really cant say yet if other writers want to use her Again and if they do how will they choose to use her. She knows who he is under the mask, and unlike MJ she didnt really seem to end their relationship in a good way. So no I dont agree that aspect is lost just because many prefer MJ. There are many stories that can be done with Charlie that cant be done with MJ. Precisely because there is that idea of MJ as "the love of his life" there are some stories she can not be used in the same way without giving the readers a hope of something they do not plan to go on with. Just like Black Cat was used Again because there was a different expectation with her. Sometimes a former Spidey love interest ends up working a lot better in a different role. Liz Allen for instance may have started out as a love interest/Desire of Peters, but her history with Harry and her current role is a lot different then just "that girl he went to high school with". Maybe someone finds a particular role they want Charlie to fullfill like that to.
    Liz was away from the comics for a long time to but now she is back. She might seem a little insane, but she is back.

BANNED

Hate to bring this up, but did anyone notice how Peter confront Miles about his actions in the recent Miles Morales #2 and Peter made a sly mention to demons in red ?

BANNED

…Yeah, I'm with you on this. I'm still being cautious, because I'm aware that my hope for Bendis to follow up on One More Day could just turn out to be wishful thinking, but if there could be more to it, and this can be the beginning of turning that story around, then I'd like to see where this could go. But I'm not going to commit to seriously expecting it. It'd be assuming Bendis promised me a story when that wasn't the case. I'm optimistic, but also managing how to approach this.

Astonishing Member CrimsonEchidna's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cmbmool View Post
    Hate to bring this up, but did anyone notice how Peter confront Miles about his actions in the recent Miles Morales #2 and Peter made a sly mention to demons in red ?
    I just took it as Bendis being snarky since he also had Tony make a "Demon in a Bottle" crack.
    The artist formerly known as OrpheusTelos.