View Poll Results: Who is Marvel's lead female?

Voters
650. You may not vote on this poll
  • BLACK WIDOW [Natasha Romanova]

49 7.54%
  • CAPTAIN MARVEL [Carol Danvers]

126 19.38%
  • ELEKTRA [Elektra Natchios]

5 0.77%
  • INVISIBLE WOMAN [Sue Richard]

55 8.46%
  • KITTY PRYDE

22 3.38%
  • JEAN GREY

89 13.69%
  • MYSTIQUE [Raven Darkholme]

6 0.92%
  • ROGUE [Anna Marie]

43 6.62%
  • PSYLOCKE [Elisabeth ‘Betsy’ Braddock]

10 1.54%
  • SCARLET WITCH [Wanda Maximoff]

29 4.46%
  • SHE-HULK [Jennifer Walters]

37 5.69%
  • SPIDERWOMAN [Jessica Drew]

10 1.54%
  • STORM [Queen Ororo Monroe]

129 19.85%
  • WHITE QUEEN [Emma Frost]

29 4.46%
  • WASP [Janet vanDyne]

11 1.69%
Page 2 of 182 FirstFirst 1234561252102 ... LastLast

Don't forget Rogue had two minis and two solo titles:

Minis:
    Rogue (volume 1) - 4 issues
    Rogue (volume 2) - 4 issues

Ongoing:
    Rogue (Volume 3) - 12 issues
    X-Men Legacy (226-275, 49 issues)

Also the Appreciation Threads:

The Rogue High Flyers
    The Rogue Gallery
    Last edited by jen; 06-18-2014 at 04:13 PM.

Also, Elektra Lives Again, fives issues I believe, and Ultimate Elektra, five issues. If we're being cheeky, we can count the five issues if Ultimate Daredevil and Elektra...

Scarlet Witch~4~LIFE!!^_^ CJStriker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jen View Post
    Don't forget Rogue had two minis and two solo titles:

Rogue (volume 1) - 4 issues
    Rogue (volume 2) - 4 issues

Rogue (Volume 3) - 12 issues
    X-Men Legacy (226-275, 49 issues)

Also the Appreciation Threads:

The Rogue High Flyers
    The Rogue Gallery
    Indeed Glad to see Rogue Representing Indeed!

I Forget Which Issue of Legacy it was, but this Image was one of My Favorites from 2012!

"By Earth and Sky, By Craft and Hex -- By The Past and The Future – I Call HOPE Forth From The DARKNESS! I Speak The Words We Made Into MAGIC! Let THEIR Power Augment Our OWN! To Strike ONE BLOW From Our HEARTS and SOULS – From ALL THAT WE ARE! Let The CALL Go Forth -- AVENGERS! ASSEMBLE!" Scarlet Witch/Wanda Maximoff ~~ From Avengers #689!

Come Join and Learn about Wanda Maximoff at: The Scarlet Witch Appreciation Thread 2023!

Jubilee (2004) #1-6

Quote Originally Posted by CJStriker View Post
    Indeed Glad to see Rogue Representing Indeed!

I Forget Which Issue of Legacy it was, but this Image was one of My Favorites from 2012!
    That's Greg Land from Second Coming issue #235 of Legacy.

I would say Storm is probably Marvel's most prominent woman, with Carol being their best bet for a non-X lead. But Kitty is still my favourite character.

I am very happy with the efforts Marvel's been making lately. Five - soon to be six - female ongoing solo titles, which isn't quite the most they've had at one time, but it's definitely much higher than usual. And perhaps even more important, female characters are being handled with a lot more respect. More of them have costumes that are designed to show strength rather than sexiness, and there's been a move away from "sexy" poses, in favour of more natural poses that are similar to what male characters get. It also feels like the Damsel In Distress angle's being pushed away from: Witness Dawn Greenwood in Silver Surfer, who despite having no powers, was actually directly responsible for her own escape, rather than relying on the Surfer. Women right now have agency, which is very, very important. Even civilian women don't get the weak-willed treatment they used to - witness today's issue of Iron Man, where Pepper breaks up with her fiance, and tells him, "I don't need saving."

There's still plenty of room for improvement, of course. We don't have a female-led movie. It'd be great if we got an arc of the main Avengers comic where Captain America's out of commission, and Captain Marvel takes over as leader, and does as good a job as he does. But Marvel's genuinely impressed me with their recent efforts.

Where the Diwatas and the Triumph Division live

I just removed a post with a gratuitous picture and the reply to it (sorry about that Kieran_Frost) but I would like to echo the request to not post pictures that degrade women with too much T&A and violence, in line with the theme of this thread. Thanks, folks.
    Human Torch/Fantastic Four/She-Hulk/Disney Big Hero 6 /Tangled/G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero/Transformers G1 fanatic, Avatar-maker, and Marvel Moderator
    "一人じゃないから。" AI、『Story』。
    "ヒロ、お前を信じてる。" タダシ、『ベイマックス』。
    "You were my my new dream." "And you were mine." Eugene Fitzherbert and Rapunzel.
    "Knowing is half the battle."
    G.I. Joe.
    Know the CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Don't forget Storm mini's:

Storm #1 - #4 (Warren Ellis)
    Ororo:Before the Storm (Mark Sumerak)

And WAP was already mentioned (I'll exclude the Storm mini by Jerome Dickey -__-...)
    Be the change you wish to see in the world.

Long-time Jubester Fan jubilees_bf's Avatar

Does the Wolverine and Jubilee four issue mini by Kat Immonen count?

Quote Originally Posted by WINDRIDER View Post
    (I'll exclude the Storm mini by Jerome Dickey -__-...)
    Good idea. That was a misogynistic pile of crap. The original story had Ororo rescue T'Challa. Dickey apparently looked at that and said, "Wait, a woman rescuing a man? How silly! We can't have that! Everyone knows it's supposed to be the other way around!" I don't know if Dickey's otherwise had a good record in terms of representation of female characters, but that story disgusted me.

Quote Originally Posted by jubilees_bf View Post
    Does the Wolverine and Jubilee four issue mini by Kat Immonen count?
    I would count it, if only because, hey, it's written by a woman, so it deserves some props.

Which reminds me, we should also be giving props to the women who've worked for Marvel. Kelly Sue DeConnick, obviously, has been doing great work with Captain Marvel. Pretty Deadly isn't Marvel, but it's also amazing, so I wanted to mention it. I think the first thing I read by her was the Osborn mini she did with Emma Rios. So damned good. That was where I first became aware of Rios, too, and both of them blew me away. And, of course, Bendis is a fan (and friend) of KSD, so he took her original characters from that mini and brought them into his New Avengers for an arc.

I've been reading plenty of old comics, and I really like Louise Simonson's '80s work. Power Pack, X-Factor, New Mutants - she did a lot of great stuff. Ann Nocenti was doing a lot of good stuff around the same time, with Power Man and Iron Fist, and then her Daredevil run (which I've been reading). And then the '90s came around and Marvel seemed to stop using female writers. For my own amusement, I compared two months: June 1985, and June 1995. In June 1985, there were three comics written by women: Ann Nocenti was doing a Beauty and the Beast mini starring Dazzler and Beast, and Louise Simonson was writing Power Pack (with June Brigman on pencils) and Web of Spider-Man. In June 1995, when Marvel put out a lot more comics, the number written by women was . . . none. Not a single one. Obviously, I was only comparing single months, though I checked September 1995, to the same result, and that's kinda sad.

My vote is for Emma Frost, a leading influence and one of the leaders among the X-Men.

Lick on, sweet prince. Sea Hound's Avatar

Coipel's gorgeous cover for the Women of Marvel Omnibus. (The cover is the best thing about the book by miles.)

image.jpg
    "Self has no time for this."

I could have left my judgements been clouded but i'm a big fan so i chose the girl that i thought had the most impact with SHIELD, Avengers and things i chose Black Widow. I wonder if you are allowed to post twice

Black Widow (2368)
    Captain Marvel (2488)
    Storm (6992)

These are according to comic vine appearances
    Truth is the best policy

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tiamatty View Post
    Good idea. That was a misogynistic pile of crap. The original story had Ororo rescue T'Challa. Dickey apparently looked at that and said, "Wait, a woman rescuing a man? How silly! We can't have that! Everyone knows it's supposed to be the other way around!" I don't know if Dickey's otherwise had a good record in terms of representation of female characters, but that story disgusted me.

I would count it, if only because, hey, it's written by a woman, so it deserves some props.

Which reminds me, we should also be giving props to the women who've worked for Marvel. Kelly Sue DeConnick, obviously, has been doing great work with Captain Marvel. Pretty Deadly isn't Marvel, but it's also amazing, so I wanted to mention it. I think the first thing I read by her was the Osborn mini she did with Emma Rios. So damned good. That was where I first became aware of Rios, too, and both of them blew me away. And, of course, Bendis is a fan (and friend) of KSD, so he took her original characters from that mini and brought them into his New Avengers for an arc.

I've been reading plenty of old comics, and I really like Louise Simonson's '80s work. Power Pack, X-Factor, New Mutants - she did a lot of great stuff. Ann Nocenti was doing a lot of good stuff around the same time, with Power Man and Iron Fist, and then her Daredevil run (which I've been reading). And then the '90s came around and Marvel seemed to stop using female writers. For my own amusement, I compared two months: June 1985, and June 1995. In June 1985, there were three comics written by women: Ann Nocenti was doing a Beauty and the Beast mini starring Dazzler and Beast, and Louise Simonson was writing Power Pack (with June Brigman on pencils) and Web of Spider-Man. In June 1995, when Marvel put out a lot more comics, the number written by women was . . . none. Not a single one. Obviously, I was only comparing single months, though I checked September 1995, to the same result, and that's kinda sad.

Don't forget Marie Severin from the silver age Marvel!

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Hound View Post
    Coipel's gorgeous cover for the Women of Marvel Omnibus. (The cover is the best thing about the book by miles.)

image.jpg
    Is that Millie the Model on the right next to Shanna? At first I thought it was Gwen Stacy then I noticed the big eyes.