View Poll Results: Who is Marvel's lead female?

Voters
650. You may not vote on this poll
  • BLACK WIDOW [Natasha Romanova]

49 7.54%
  • CAPTAIN MARVEL [Carol Danvers]

126 19.38%
  • ELEKTRA [Elektra Natchios]

5 0.77%
  • INVISIBLE WOMAN [Sue Richard]

55 8.46%
  • KITTY PRYDE

22 3.38%
  • JEAN GREY

89 13.69%
  • MYSTIQUE [Raven Darkholme]

6 0.92%
  • ROGUE [Anna Marie]

43 6.62%
  • PSYLOCKE [Elisabeth ‘Betsy’ Braddock]

10 1.54%
  • SCARLET WITCH [Wanda Maximoff]

29 4.46%
  • SHE-HULK [Jennifer Walters]

37 5.69%
  • SPIDERWOMAN [Jessica Drew]

10 1.54%
  • STORM [Queen Ororo Monroe]

129 19.85%
  • WHITE QUEEN [Emma Frost]

29 4.46%
  • WASP [Janet vanDyne]

11 1.69%
Page 77 of 182 FirstFirst ... 276773747576777879808187127177 ... LastLast
Results 1,141 to 1,155 of 2721
    Invincible Member

For what it's worth, back in the the early 80's when Marvel still had the rights to Red Sonja, they did briefly put her in real clothes

Quote Originally Posted by Starleafgirl View Post
    As with most of your posts recently, my inner fangirl reaction is:

Thanks for the info. ^.^
    Sadly, she was written horribly. She didn't sound the least bit like herself. She said "jeez." Since when does Valkyrie say "jeez"? She gets, like, four lines of dialogue in the issue, and none of them sound like her.

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    For what it's worth, back in the the early 80's when Marvel still had the rights to Red Sonja, they did briefly put her in real clothes

I suppose that actually is pretty equivalent to how Conan was dressed. Actually, her outfit there is way more modest than what Conan wore. On the other hand, even her chainmail bikini is more modest than Conan's typical outfit at the time.

More eldritch than thou Venomous Mask's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post

That was a hot outfit.

Just to put it out there, most "warrior women" of ancient times would have done everything they could to disguise themselves as a man, Mulan-style. Certain British tribes went naked into battle with both men and women.
    "I should describe my known nature as tripartite, my interests consisting of three parallel and disassociated groups; a) love of the strange and the fantastic, b) love of abstract truth and scientific logic, c) love of the ancient and the permanent. Sundry combinations of these strains will probably account for my...odd tastes, and eccentricities."

Secretly in the Shadows Starleafgirl's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tiamatty View Post
    Sadly, she was written horribly. She didn't sound the least bit like herself. She said "jeez." Since when does Valkyrie say "jeez"? She gets, like, four lines of dialogue in the issue, and none of them sound like her.
    I guess Annabelle Riggs rubbed off on her!

Not... that way...

Ah, jeez!

I meant idiomatically!

:-P

Yeah, I hate when characters don't sound like themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by Venomous Mask View Post
    Just to put it out there, most "warrior women" of ancient times would have done everything they could to disguise themselves as a man, Mulan-style. Certain British tribes went naked into battle with both men and women.
    So... yeah, it ran the whole gamut, lol.

Mulan-style reminds me of Game of Thrones:

Though to be fair, Asgardian women don't have to worry about most of the things women IRL do... And if anyone tried anything with them against their will, they'd have their head on a spike. Literally.

The only time a skimpy outfit makes sense to me is in a hot, hot jungle like the Savage Lands... though it probably wouldn't be the best idea when it comes to the amount of poisonous bugs, frogs, and plants most rain forests have in real life, hah.

------------------

I saw this image of Rogue and decided to Google: "2013-Rittenhouse-Women-of-Marvel-Series-2-Women-of-Marvel" ... there's a lot of cool stuff out there.

Prεtty Pεnny
    I have no speech. No name. I live in the action of death. The blood-cry, the penetrating wound. I am destruction.... http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7.../penance-1.jpg
    <----------------------------------->

Keep the snark to a minimum. ~ The CBR Community Behavior Rules

"What? I can't promise that!" ~ Starleafgirl

Original Join Date: 10-31-2007

Secretly in the Shadows Starleafgirl's Avatar

There's more Women of Marvel art out there than I could possibly put in this thread, and it's not exactly a new discovery for me, but just to point out a few more:

There are a hell of a lot of ways to draw women in comics without over-sexualizing them.

Etc:
    http://fc01.deviantart.net/fs71/i/20...le-d6v26n4.jpg

Etc...:
    http://fc07.deviantart.net/fs71/i/20...le-d6v26rz.jpg

=============

EDIT:

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Hound View Post
    Hiya Starleafgirl. Valkyrie was briefly in Axis 5, (so very recent) and she was out of the boob bowls. (Although She Hulk's cup looks a bit like one.). I have to confess to finding her new costume a little dull, though. Maybe because she's an Asgardian, so I think she should go full on Kirby madness. Anyway, here she is:

I think Mark Brooks' covers for Fearless Defenders were wonderful. I'll put some up later.
    Sorry for not seeing this before!

Thanks so much for the info! :-)

Her new costume isn't my favorite thing in the world, but I'm just so relieved to see the Madonna boob cups gone that I'll go with it, hah.
    Last edited by Starleafgirl; 12-06-2014 at 09:11 PM.
    Prεtty Pεnny
    I have no speech. No name. I live in the action of death. The blood-cry, the penetrating wound. I am destruction.... http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7.../penance-1.jpg
    <----------------------------------->

Keep the snark to a minimum. ~ The CBR Community Behavior Rules

"What? I can't promise that!" ~ Starleafgirl

Original Join Date: 10-31-2007

More eldritch than thou Venomous Mask's Avatar

I don't know if Black Cat and Elektra are the best examples as they've made heavy use of sex appeal in the past. To be fair most major female comic book characters have at some point or another but those two especially.
    "I should describe my known nature as tripartite, my interests consisting of three parallel and disassociated groups; a) love of the strange and the fantastic, b) love of abstract truth and scientific logic, c) love of the ancient and the permanent. Sundry combinations of these strains will probably account for my...odd tastes, and eccentricities."

BANNED

As starleafgirl asked respectfully I will genuinely try to leave the argument be after this last statement.

I have a dream of both female readers and male readers being catered to in roughly equal measure and us leaving each other be and not degrading what the other likes.
    THAT is equality.

What most of your seem to be asking for is for the preferences of just the specifically prudish female readers to supersede those of anyone else.
    That is Not and Never will be Equality.

Quote Originally Posted by evangelionofasgard View Post
    As starleafgirl asked respectfully I will genuinely try to leave the argument be after this last statement.

I have a dream of both female readers and male readers being catered to in roughly equal measure and us leaving each other be and not degrading what the other likes.
    THAT is equality.

What most of your seem to be asking for is for the preferences of just the specifically prudish female readers to supersede those of anyone else.
    That is Not and Never will be Equality.
    All I'm asking for is that Angela get a costume that doesn't look ridiculous.

Lick on, sweet prince. Sea Hound's Avatar

Moving on, does anyone have a favourite female villain? (I don't think we've discussed this).

Mine is the always elegant, coolly intelligent, cruel, brutally powerful Hela. Partly because she somehow pulls off one of the most awesome costumes in comics; (I think of it as Asgardi Gras) and partly because of her odd mixture of icy, dutiful, competence, hot rage, and just occasional compassion. She was beautifully caught by Gillen in his Journey into Mystery run.

image.jpg
    "Self has no time for this."

*Picture of marvel girls in casual clothes*
    That is an awesome drawing. I admittedly had trouble identifying the most left person and the person next to She-Hulk but the rest were no problem.
    Moving on, does anyone have a favourite female villain? (I don't think we've discussed this).
    While I will certainly add further fuel to this ongoing discussion about how female characters should be dressed I really have to go with Selene here.

There is just something really fascinating about the immortal psychic vampire witch.
    It's probably because Im a big fan of Necromancers in fantasy settings and games and and I get the same type of vibes from her.
    Last edited by Galerion; 12-07-2014 at 11:30 AM.
    "This is me being reasonable"

Astonishing Member Charlie_1981's Avatar

In my case is so obvious

Amora the Enchantress, first Marvel Villainess and also her lovely and problematic sister Lorelei.

I just love her since I was a kid and I will always do.

Quote Originally Posted by Galerion View Post
    That is an awesome drawing. I admittedly had trouble identifying the most left person and the person next to She-Hulk but the rest were no problem.
    My first thought was Jessica Jones, but since it's a drawing of some of the most iconic Marvel women, I believe it's Black Widow.
    Next to She Hulk: that must be Scarlet Witch.

Favorite villain?

I've always had a soft spot for Nanny and her gorgeous curves:

Last edited by mugiwara; 12-07-2014 at 09:05 AM.

Lick on, sweet prince. Sea Hound's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Galerion View Post
    I think (could be wrong that they're Jessica Jones and Jessica Drew. (Spider woman).

While I will certainly add further fuel to this ongoing discussion about how female characters should be dressed I really have to go with Selene here.

There is just something really fascinating about the immortal psychic vampire witch.
    It's probably because Im a big fan of Necromancers in fantasy settings and games and and I get the same type of vibes from her.
    She occupies a very similar niche in some ways to Hela, only in the X-books. Ancient, death bringing, very powerful, and solitary even when surrounded by minions. Hela is more dutiful evil though, whereas Selene is out and out self serving villainous.
    I seem to have liked the Necrosha arc a bit more than most X-Fans.
    "Self has no time for this."

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by mugiwara View Post
    My first thought was Jessica Jones, but since it's a drawing of some of the most iconic Marvel women, I believe it's Black Widow.
    Next to She Hulk: that must be Scarlet Witch.

Favorite villain?

I've always had a soft spot for Nanny and her gorgeous curves:

I find her cute.