Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Default Lamest Batman villains?

Screw Attack did a video about the lamest Batman villains, in their opinion. Would you agree or disagree with these choices?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RznMvXuv4Dc

Incredible Member

IMO I would have to say

Killer Moth (human version)
    Signal Man
    Kite Man

Incredible Member

I know there's dozens of lesser known and one off and joke villians, but of the big main recognizable ones, I can't believe Mad Hatter is so liked, used and taken seriously. Mad Hatter is the worst gimmick of the A&B listers in my opinion. Some good stories of him have been made but the core concept sticks in my craw.

I'm surprised they left out Orca.

Extraordinary Member Doctor Know's Avatar

Condiment King

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

It's so easy to make fun of those guys but everything that video achieves is making me wanna watch more BBATB and read more reprints. And I quite like Killer Moth, Mad Hatter and Orca. More than Croc, Bane, Poison Ivy, Red Hood, Clayface or Catwoman.

BANNED

I'll go against the thread a little bit and say that I don't believe in lame villains, only lame writers. But I will list some Batman villains that I am not sold on yet:

Penguin
    Ra's Al Ghul
    Mister Freeze

Spectacular Member Huntsman1117's Avatar

Cyberpunk Ronin,
    I'm sorry but I'm gawking at your response!
    The 3 you mentioned are serious heavy-contenders among Batman's adversaries. Why do you say that?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman1117 View Post
    Cyberpunk Ronin,
    I'm sorry but I'm gawking at your response!
    The 3 you mentioned are serious heavy-contenders among Batman's adversaries. Why do you say that?
    Ummmm, gawk all you want. it's not like I said they were terrible.
    Last edited by Starchild; 02-15-2016 at 01:29 AM.

Spectacular Member Huntsman1117's Avatar

From what I've seen, Penguin, Mr. Freeze, and Ra's al Ghul have all affected Batman and made him question what makes a villian truly evil. In some stories, Batman has even relinquished his attack on these adversaries for different reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyberpunk Ronin View Post
    I'll go against the thread a little bit and say that I don't believe in lame villains, only lame writers. But I will list some Batman villains that I am not sold on yet:

Penguin
    Ra's Al Ghul
    Mister Freeze
    Pain & Prejudice
    Birth of the Demon
    Heart of Ice

There's three stories that are perfect for these characters.
    "It's too bad she won't live! But then again, who does? - Gaff Blade Runner

"In a short time, this will be a long time ago." - Werner Slow West

"One of the biggest problems in the industry is apathy right now." - Dan Didio Co-Publisher of I Wonder Why That Is Comics

Astonishing Member kingaliencracker's Avatar

Orca is pretty much the lamest villain in modern Batman history, I think.

Late Golden Age/Silver Age comics: TweedleDum and TweedleDee, Signalman/the Blue Bowman, Mirror-Man, the King of the Cats, the Terrible Trio, etc. but those comics were written under the strict DC Editorial Board and 1954 Comics Code Authority rules. The villains created then had to be tame. The Comics Code rules were loosened in 1971.

William Dozier/Adam West TV show: Shame, Minerva, Louie the Lilac, etc. but the show was deliberately "square" and "bad" on purpose for laughs.

Dozier: "The idea came to me to make it so square, so cliche-ridden, so corny and so bad that it would be funny."
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vUIMP3k6y90

Dozier: "I bought a dozen of the comic books, I read all of these things and I thought they must be out of their minds - it was so juvenile and so dim-witted. A very simple idea struck me and that was to overdo it, and if you overdid it I thought it would be funny to adults and yet it would be stimulating to kids. There was one line in the pilot episode that was put in deliberately to set the tone of the humor, and that was when Batman walked into a nightclub in that ridiculous outfit and the maitre d' came up and said, 'Ringside table, Batman?' Batman said, 'No, just looking, thanks. I'll stand at the bar, I don't wish to attract attention.' That was the key for the humor in the show. That off-beat humor. Joking against the characters."
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_7AGr_gdlI

Dozier: "Adam West immediately understood what we were trying to do and that he would have to play it very square in order for it to come through as humor. Burt Ward had that 'Gee whiz, Mr. Dozier' approach right off the bat so I knew he was our Robin. I never saw anybody else in the role of Commissioner Gordon than Neil Hamilton. He is the all-time square public servant. Stafford Repp as Chief O'Hara. He's the all-time bumbling Irish cop. He's so stupid he finally became Chief. Alan Napier as the English manservant butler Alfred. Madge Blake as Aunt Harriet. She had to be stupid enough so it never occurred to her that Bruce Wayne and Dick Grayson could possibly be doing something besides fishing when they say their going out fishing."
    Last edited by Steven Ely; 02-15-2016 at 04:28 AM.
    Jerry Siegel/Joe Shuster, Bill Finger/Bob Kane/Gardner Fox/Sheldon Moldoff/Jerry Robinson, William Moulton Marston under the pen name Charles Moulton/Harry Peter. Creators of the most enduring iconic archetypes of the comic book superhero genre. The creators early Golden Age versions should be preserved. The early Golden Age mythology by the creators are as close to the proper, correct authentic versions as there is.

A lot of the gimmicky Silver Agers are winsome despite their contrivedness, but two one-shots that never returned (except in the BRAVE AND BOLD cartoon) are the Polka-Dot Man and Tiger Shark. There's also "Doctor Pneumo," who uses compressed air as a weapon, and "the Wheel," who was so lame that only in the story-title is he given a supervillain name; elsewhere in the story Batman only calls him by his regular crook-name.

That said, I like even these better than Bane. He doesn't even belong in the Batman universe IMO.

Joker

<_< >_>

Nah seriously though probably Jezebel Jet.