Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Incredible Member

I also dislike TweedleDum and TweedleDee. I hate the whole 'use a character from something else as your identity' schtick.

Incredible Member

Aw Geez, it's easy to say "I don't like _____, so that makes _____ the Lamest".

Not gonna say "The lamest", but I don't like: Abbatoir, despite him been an impactful part of "Knightquest"- whose schtick was to murder his own family, many points negatived for kidnapping Clayface V, bringing Clayfaces III and IV out to the open public, only to be beaten by Azrael Batman, and imprisoned / researched upon, including V.

Or the Idiot, of the "Idiot Root" storyline. Left a one-time villainess I actually liked, the Queen of Hearts, only a one-time villainess, when his reality-warping powers drained her brain-dead.

Or Karl Branneck, the "Dumpster Killer", of Batman #414, #421-422.

Or, what was supposed to be "Catman", of Legends of the Dark Knight #46-49, "Heat", who sliced up scantily-clad babes.

Or, any Calendar Man story or appearance that has him wearing only one suit, other than Batman: Shadow of the Bat's "the Misfits". A proper tale with him must have him wearing three-four crime costumes minimum, I say.

Catman
    Mad Hatter
    Crazy Quilt
    Ventriloquist
    The Eraser
    Maxie Zeus

There are a lot of dumb Batman villains

BANNED

Riddler,just a garbage villain and character.

Sigh. The villains themselves aren't bad (or at least don't have to be bad) but instead, it's the writers themselves. Some people just lack the creativity to turn a guy covered in question marks or a guy living in a walking icebox or a scientist with a silly hat and a penchant for Lewis Carroll into something really unique and complex. Others, however, do have the visionary skills or just the plain imagination to make them relatable and awesome and iconic in their own way. Now, some characters are admittedly harder to do this with but that doesn't really matter if you have the ability to pull a Scott Snyder and reinvent Doctor Death like he did.

Why people think that one bad story defines a character is beyond me.

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Unfinishedsentenc View Post
    Sigh. The villains themselves aren't bad (or at least don't have to be bad) but instead, it's the writers themselves. Some people just lack the creativity to turn a guy covered in question marks or a guy living in a walking icebox or a scientist with a silly hat and a penchant for Lewis Carroll into something really unique and complex. Others, however, do have the visionary skills or just the plain imagination to make them relatable and awesome and iconic in their own way. Now, some characters are admittedly harder to do this with but that doesn't really matter if you have the ability to pull a Scott Snyder and reinvent Doctor Death like he did.

Why people think that one bad story defines a character is beyond me.
    One could say Snyder has written one story with Doc Death doesn't mean Doc Death isn't lame or its a good story. Just turned your argument against you.

Quote Originally Posted by batnbreakfast View Post
    One could say Snyder has written one story with Doc Death doesn't mean Doc Death isn't lame or its a good story. Just turned your argument against you.
    I didn't say it's a good interpretation of the character because said character is simply used well in that single story. No, it's a good interpretation because Snyder both respected the original, and played homage to that character, but also tried something new and fresh and inventive. Something we had never seen before, and that took a relatively bland concept to new levels.

And it opens doors for future good stories involving that character. That's the important part. I see what you're saying. But I'd say one story doesn't elevate or hamper a character to any certain degree; it just adds another notch under the belt if it's a good one, or it equates to something writers should either learn from or forget if it's a bad one.

Doc Death isn't some great, prolific character because of Snyder. He's just a better one overall.

Tweedledee and dum
    Condiment King
    Crazy Quilt
    Maxie
    OG Killer Moth
    Kite Man - "Hell No"
    Ten Eyed Man
    El Flamingo
    Pulls: Batman, Detective Comics, SiKtC, Catwoman, Nightwing, Titans, Godzilla, Wonder Woman, Batman & Robin, Brave and the Bold, No/One, Kill your Darlings, and Deviant.
    My runs: Batman #230-, and Detective #420-

Bloom was pretty annoying.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Quote Originally Posted by Vinsanity View Post
    Joker

<_< >_>

Nah seriously though probably Jezebel Jet.

No, no... I'll go there!

They made a point of calling out all these lame characters who don't have any powers and aren't physical threats... So why NOT go there?

I mean... yeah, Condiment King is a whole extra level of stupid... but why is 'king of cats' stupid and lame because he's just a catburgler who dresses like a cat?? Yet Catwoman is an icon??

Calendar man is man who commits crimes based on holidays is bad... but two-face basing his crimes on the #2 is okay?

Joker is a killer dressed like a clown. Hugo Strange is a psychiatrist. Penguin is a short fat guy in a tux... There may be a few visually interesting aspects of them... but as far as villain concepts go? 90% of the Bat-villains are pretty lame concepts. A good writer with a good story can turn a lame character popular... but the core concept is still ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    She had so much potential. Now there's a male version of the Mime.

Lame villains:

Maxie Zeus
    King Tut
    The Terrible Trio
    Ten Eyed Man
    Crazy Quilt
    Baby Doll (From Batman T.A.S.)

Characters that I remember:

Killer Moth
    Kite Man
    Catman
    Calendar Man.
    Mad Hatter
    Ventriloquist

Quote Originally Posted by darkseidpwns View Post
    Riddler,just a garbage villain and character.
    SAME OPINION.. I HATE HIM.. I prefer Batman against the rest of pathetic villains that I added before your comment.
    Last edited by adrikito; 09-22-2018 at 11:06 AM.

By the way, also found this on https://www.vaplicious.com (which I know nothing about) with somebody's idea of the "The Most Terrible Villains Ever Conceived For Batman's Rogue's Gallery":
    And here's their list (which includes more than just foes from the regular in-continuity comic book stories):
    #1 Ten-Eyed Man
    #2 Killer Moth
    #3 Polka-Dot Man
    #4 Mirror-Man
    #5 Penny Plunderer
    #6 Kite Man
    #7 Baby Doll
    #8 Tweedle-Dee and Tweedle-Dum
    #9 The Eraser
    #10 Zsasz
    #11 Bird
    #12 Egghead
    #13 Sterling Silversmith
    #14 Bruno
    #15 Cluemaster
    #16 Crazy Quilt
    #17 Humpty Dumpty
    #18 Doctor Double X

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Do we count Catman when he's mainly in Secret Six now? ...Also, he's hot.
    The Tweedles are just thugs for Mad Hatter so they're not on my radar.
    Zsasz is interesting and scary when done right.

I'm not gonna pick the joke villains because they're supposed to be that, a joke. If the intention is to make me laugh and I did laugh, then they're succesful.

The ones that annoy me are those who have potential but they don't take advantage of it. Like Riddler if they make him bumbling instead of an intelligent threat, Penguin when he's just comedic when he can be a ruthless mob boss with interesting gimmick, Scarecrow when they make his fear gas impotent, and Two-Face specifically in Arkham games where he's just a mini boss with one-note personality or in Schumacher's Batman Forever where he's just a clown.

Oh, The Black Gloves are annoying too. I know it's a silver age fanservice, but they're not funny or interesting. They're like rich people dressing up like clowns. The only cool ones are Dr. Hurt and Scorpiana.
    Last edited by Restingvoice; 09-25-2018 at 09:08 AM.