Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by magnum View Post
    I have said this before but these huge events and all the small events and crossovers that seem to be happening WAY TO OFTEN in recent years is tiring. IMO. I am Hickman fan but this while Secret Wars, multiverse shift was a let down for me. For me the changes that have been made to most books/titles has been disappointing. I know I sound like a grumpy old man but I miss the old days
    As a old fan, you do realize that Marvel has been doing yearly events for more than 20 years. The only fairly recent change is the constant renumbering.

Quote Originally Posted by dragonmp93 View Post
    I think that the word that you are looking for is restart, like the computers, not reboot.
    Well with computers nothing really changes after a reboot either. You don't miraculously get the new version of Mac or Microsoft. You still get the old Mac or Microsoft. With new Marvel you do get the new version Mac and Microsoft, it's just that it brings across your old data.
    Last edited by jackolover; 02-16-2016 at 02:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by resipsaloquitur View Post
    Yeah, I'm still calling B.S. on that. If your name is Joe Smith and you change it to "Marty Jones," you're still the same person even if you have a different name. This is still 616 even if they're calling it something else, and Brevoort is just going to have to deal if I call it 616 out of familiarity.
    Well . . . no. If Joe Smith changes his name to Marty Jones, then his name is now Marty Jones, and people calling him Joe Smith are mistaken. Or, for example, if someone went from Joe Smith to Mary Jones.

I mean, I'm still going to call it the 616, because it's a fictional world and not a person. I'm just saying, your analogy of a person changing their name doesn't work, because people do change their names, and it is wrong to call them by their old names.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiamatty View Post
    Well . . . no. If Joe Smith changes his name to Marty Jones, then his name is now Marty Jones, and people calling him Joe Smith are mistaken. Or, for example, if someone went from Joe Smith to Mary Jones.

I mean, I'm still going to call it the 616, because it's a fictional world and not a person. I'm just saying, your analogy of a person changing their name doesn't work, because people do change their names, and it is wrong to call them by their old names.
    Did you even read my analogy? There's a distinction between changing what you call something versus the very thing itself changing. My whole point is that Joe didn't disppear to be replaced by Marty. Marty IS Joe even if he's now called something else.

Quote Originally Posted by JLS Comics View Post
    This didn't reinvent backstories for the characters. It didn't reinvent origins. It didn't reset the timeline in a major way (major being the operative word there).
    ....that you know of, at least..

Personally, I think that if Marvel had done a New-52 style reboot they could have done exactly what they did anyway, but bring the Comics in-line with the movieverse, basically creating something of a mix between the Ultimate Line, 616 Line and Movies.

I love origin stories, so I'd have at least been happy.

But actually more on topic, it wasn't a reboot, I don't think it was ever even marketed as a reboot (if I'm wrong, please someone correct me). It was marketed as "Time Runs Out" just before in Avengers/New Avengers then it was just marketed as Battleworld. I don't personally recall anyone at Marvel calling it a reboot - again, please correct me if I'm wrong!
    Cohost of the Attilan Rising Podcast available now: Attilan Rising Website | iTunes | Google Play

Monthly Pull List: I don't update this nearly enough

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by resipsaloquitur View Post
    Yeah, I'm still calling B.S. on that. If your name is Joe Smith and you change it to "Marty Jones," you're still the same person even if you have a different name. This is still 616 even if they're calling it something else, and Brevoort is just going to have to deal if I call it 616 out of familiarity.
    You can do that but the comics won't anymore. It doesn't make sense if Reed recreated Prime Earth first. In Tom B's post he said right now there aren't even 600 different universes.
    Last edited by Iron Maiden; 02-16-2016 at 08:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    You can do that but the comics won't anymore. It doesn't make sense if Reed recreated Prime Earth first. In Tom B's post he said right now there aren't even 600 different universes.
    i wonder what this mean for roma and merlin as well as otherworld? did they not get resurrected in the new prime reality or were they deleted from the timeline altogether?

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AcesX1X View Post
    i wonder what this mean for roma and merlin as well as otherworld? did they not get resurrected in the new prime reality or were they deleted from the timeline altogether?
    I don't know....maybe they'll show up one day. Personally, I'm glad that they got rid of "616" once and for all. It was just something that started in an obscure Marvel UK comic and used by the Capt Britain Corp. They're not the final say on that. Earth can call itself whatever they want. Billions of people on that planet aren't going to call it Earth 616. Why should they?

Quote Originally Posted by AcesX1X View Post
    I kinda wonder that also but Otherworld and the Starlight Citadel are outside the multiverse good chance they survived. I mean the Corps place was over ran ( Starlight Citadel I think ) and the Opal Luna Saturnyne (Earth-9) seems to die under the attack. but besides that there was nothing to see. There were also places like the one the exile used outside the multiverse. Those are like the legacy places Marvel tried it best to kill off like Franklin's HRB universe or the X-Men AoA universe.

In the end Roma has a high chance that she survived but don't play any role without her Britain Corp. She could start over from 0 with the Corp but this would mean she would need to work together with Reed Richards & Franklin and the rest.

To be true I had some ideas for my fan fiction when the TRO was published back then for Roma basically she would have become the queen for the MC and in some way his counter part like a puzzle piece.

Quote Originally Posted by jackolover View Post
    Well with computers nothing really changes after a reboot either. You don't miraculously get the new version of Mac or Microsoft. You still get the old Mac or Microsoft. With new Marvel you do get the new version Mac and Microsoft, it's just that it brings across your old data.
    Well, like upgrading from Windows 8 to 10.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiamatty View Post

But they still are the same person nevertheless.

I don't know....maybe they'll show up one day. Personally, I'm glad that they got rid of "616" once and for all. It was just something that started in an obscure Marvel UK comic and used by the Capt Britain Corp. They're not the final say on that. Earth can call itself whatever they want. Billions of people on that planet aren't going to call it Earth 616. Why should they?
    Well, with that logic, should WE be earth-prime or earth-one ?.

Quote Originally Posted by adameastment View Post
    Personally, I think that if Marvel had done a New-52 style reboot they could have done exactly what they did anyway, but bring the Comics in-line with the movieverse, basically creating something of a mix between the Ultimate Line, 616 Line and Movies.

I love origin stories, so I'd have at least been happy.

But actually more on topic, it wasn't a reboot, I don't think it was ever even marketed as a reboot (if I'm wrong, please someone correct me). It was marketed as "Time Runs Out" just before in Avengers/New Avengers then it was just marketed as Battleworld. I don't personally recall anyone at Marvel calling it a reboot - again, please correct me if I'm wrong!
    And no, Secret Wars was never marketed as a reboot, the confusion is because the whole thing sounded like how DC reboots its universe, and that DC still insist that the New 52 is not a reboot.

Astonishing Member Celestialbodies's Avatar

Tbf, it's not as if Earth Prime or whatever "clever" and uninteresting name they've come up with is any better, at the very least Earth 616 was original to Marvel and not copy and pasted over from DC!

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by MyriVerse View Post
    Still a reboot, even if there were zero changes. The universe died and was rebooted.
    What happens in-universe tells us nothing about whether something is a reboot or not.

Quote Originally Posted by HUTHAIFA View Post
    As a old fan, you do realize that Marvel has been doing yearly events for more than 20 years. The only fairly recent change is the constant renumbering.
    Yes I realize that but as I stated the increasing number of them during a one year span is too much, IMO. It used to be a one a year type of thing and now it seems to be get as many events and crossovers as you can.

Yes and even lets start over at number one every six months (exaggerating here but you get the idea)

What I dont get is how everyone comes back from the mini Civil War that was Avengers.

I mean, why isnt the Squadron Supreme going after Tony, T'Challa, and the rest of the Illuminati for the role they played in blowing up a world? I dont read SS, so maybe they addressed it, but from the books I've read, it hasn't been mentioned if anyone remembers Time Runs Out, and old man Rogers hunting down Tony and all that mess.

In one of the Invincible Iron Man issues, a cop says that Iron Man doesnt kill people, to which Tony agrees. If people remember TRO, they wouldn't be saying that. So why does it seem that the Squadron remember but no one else does? And why are they only going after Namor? Are they just blaming the trigger man only? Did Reed change history so only Namor was guilty? (given Namor's history with Sue...) It feels like they just wound the clock back to before the incursions started, but the Squadron seem to throw that out the window. Im missing something here.

And no, I dont think SW was a reboot. A reset, maybe? With a dash of retcon? But not a full on reboot. I dont think enough changed for it to be that.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.