Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Green Lantern Corps: Edge of Oblivion #2 Discussion

Didn't see a thread for this yet, so I thought I'd start it. What did you think of the second issue in this mini?

Shame for Arisia and B'dg. Here's hoping Guy goes Red again.

Spectacular Member

So far I'm really enjoying it, I'm a little disappointed some of the stuff Bunn did didn't carry over like Kilowog using the stick as opposed to a ring and some of the color changes that happened when the lanterns were using the light smiths weapons but outside of that it's been fun so far. I'm hoping Relic pops up again before the end. The art has been very good and all the characters are getting a moment to shine, especially Baz which is great.

I thought it was kind of underwhelming, to be honest. Taylor has a tendency to mechanically assign characters to a single role. Guy gets angry. John builds things. Simon makes a not-so-subtle comment about profiling. And the cliffhanger with Arisia and B'dg doesn't really do much, since neither character has had a notable presence in the story. At least Mukmuk was memorable last issue for standing up for the refugees.

Mighty Member

Not really feeling it. I don't care a whole lot about the cobbled together city/planet or the villain, and the corps interaction is mostly one note bickering so far. I'm not sure Arisia and B'dg are dead but I'm not really interested in cannon fodder GL deaths at any rate.

I like the art a lot, though.

Always Rakzo

This was okay. Taylor manages to include some nice moments here and there but I didn't think the overall story or twists were particularly impressive.

There was a little moment that I really liked about Simon though were he tells Guy that is bad to demonize an entire race because of what some people have done. This tells a lot about him and his background in a single line and in a subtle way. Bravo.

Fine art from Ethan Van Sciver.

Arisia and B'dg is fine, they'll be back by then end of this. EVS should teach a Lantern art class, I always love how he makes the Lantern's light notably different from each other.
    Favorite Characters : Cyborg, Hal Jordan, Simon Baz, Tula, Mera ,Bleez, Shazam, Wonder Woman, Agent 37 , Batman, Kon El, Atomica.

I love Legacy but you have to change things up to keep them from going stale - Jason Fabok

Twitter : @Flashpoint52

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sirzechs View Post
    Arisia and B'dg is fine, they'll be back by then end of this. EVS should teach a Lantern art class, I always love how he makes the Lantern's light notably different from each other.
    Sometimes I wonder if that is a chore, or labor of love?

I'm not complaining, either way.

Quote Originally Posted by Sirzechs View Post
    I think the rift just goes to our universe and the good/bad guys get flipped
    Favorites: Batman, Superman, All-New Wolverine, Deathstroke, Detective Comics, Green Lanterns, Doom Patrol

Enjoyed it.

Quote Originally Posted by joybeans View Post
    And the cliffhanger with Arisia and B'dg doesn't really do much, since neither character has had a notable presence in the story. At least Mukmuk was memorable last issue for standing up for the refugees.
    They are not supposed to do something for us, but their "death" (likely ended up in our universe) are what pushes Guy over the edge.

BANNED

Edge of Oblivion is not as good as it should be. Two issues in and I still don't know what kind of story Taylor is trying to tell. At least with Lost Army, I understood the concept and what was going on. Not a lot of character moments. I'm not liking it so far, but part of me still wants to see where it goes.

Quote Originally Posted by vartox View Post
    Not really feeling it. I don't care a whole lot about the cobbled together city/planet or the villain, and the corps interaction is mostly one note bickering so far. I'm not sure Arisia and B'dg are dead but I'm not really interested in cannon fodder GL deaths at any rate.

I like the art a lot, though.
    Well put. Feel the same way.
    Being a "Person of Interest" doesn't make you an interesting person.

I really hope they didn't just throw Arisia away after being around for what - 30 years? - just to give Guy a reason to be upset. It's the definition of "women in refrigerators." The fact that she went out so weakly is the only thing that makes me think she might not be dead.

I get that the writer favors Guy, but it's jarring to go from "Lost Army" to this where John is now a non-entity. Guy even has all the reaction shots - this is definitely the "Guy Gardner and everyone else" book and I'm losing interest fast...

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    I really hope they didn't just throw Arisia away after being around for what - 30 years? - just to give Guy a reason to be upset. It's the definition of "women in refrigerators." The fact that she went out so weakly is the only thing that makes me think she might not be dead.

I get that the writer favors Guy, but it's jarring to go from "Lost Army" to this where John is now a non-entity. Guy even has all the reaction shots - this is definitely the "Guy Gardner and everyone else" book and I'm losing interest fast...
    That's true, Lost Army had all those John flashbacks in each issue.

Don't see how John is "non-entity" in this. Main character or bust?