Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    BANNED

Default How would you react to a Justice League team full of POC?

Let's say there's a team consisted of Cyborg, John Stewart, Katana, Vixen, Equinox, Vibe & Black Lightning. Would you only embrace if it was a branch of the JLA and not the main team? Would you think it was a PC stunt? That seems to be the popular thing that fans throw around when diversity is involved. Personally, I would absolutely love if Justice League did something like Mighty Avengers or Brian Wood's X-Men where the roster was full of women.

BANNED

I really don't see the need of making a team completely for PC reasons.

Personally I don't mind the roster but I wouldn't expect it to last just my personal opinion you need at least 1 or 2 characters that sell well on their own.

Extraordinary Member John Ossie's Avatar

Can't think of any issues I'd have with the roster. Not a fan of Equinox, Katana or Black Lightning but nothing against them either so okay LOL.

I'd definitely give it a try. Particularly for Vixen who is my favourite character out of the ones you've selected.

As for whether I'd embrace it as a main team or as a branch of the JLA? Honestly? Wouldn't bother me either way, if it's the premiere team - fine. If it's a branch? Fine. LOL

As long as the book was good I'd be happy. Who'd you have in mind for the creative? Or haven't you decided yet?

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by MadFacedKid View Post
    I really don't see the need of making a team completely for PC reasons.

Personally I don't mind the roster but I wouldn't expect it to last just my personal opinion you need at least 1 or 2 characters that sell well on their own.
    The New Warriors had 2 failed solo sellers-5 volumes later-it seem to work for them.

Birds of Prey-who was the top solo seller on that book?

Suicide Squad-who was the top solo seller on that team?

1975 X-Men? New Mutants? Teen Titans? Doom Patrol? Alpha Flight?

All of those books had 60+ issue runs.

Funny when it comes to POC we can find EXCUSES galore.

Who'd you have in mind for the creative?
    It would not matter-folks will find an excuse to not touch it. See Greg Land & Sanford Greene. Both have drawn on top books, done covers of the top sellers and folks still bought the books.

Yet both do books with POC in the leads and all their flaws are used to justify not buying the books.

Would you think it was a PC stunt?
    The folks who don't want the book around will scream that all day long. They will troll threads and even threaten folks. Not because it's an interesting idea-they don't care for WHO is being used.

If I did the plot of Legion of Doom trashing Keystone City-and those guys were the only ones to respond and decide to be a team. You would still hear cries of PC.

BANNED

Alot of those teams you mentioned have 2/3 popular characters with good amount of fanbases. When it comes to team books sure there might be a good amount of people that want to read about one character in particular but there are those who want to read more about some other character on the team. There's a reason why some characters last longer on a team then in a solo.

X-Men has Storm and Wolverine

It sucks to be right BohemiaDrinker's Avatar
    If i was a comic character, my surname would be DaCosta

I'd love it, but would prefer a different line up.
    ConnEr Kent flies. ConnOr Hawke has a bow. Batman's kid is named DamiAn.

To do spoiler tags, use [ spoil ] at the start of the sentence and [ /spoil ] at the end, without the spaces. You're welcome!

BANNED

If you think consciously excluding people based on the color of their skin is a good message to send, sure why not?

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

I'd change some of those characters.

Problem is it doesn't feel like the League without the trinity in it. So if they were mostly POC and had Superman and/or Wonderwoman and if not Batman someone like Barry/Wally or Arthur or Carter, that would work. It would feel too gimmicky otherwise and forced; there are too many iconic white characters to exclude from the most important team in the DC Universe without diluting its importance.

Quote Originally Posted by Bogotazo View Post
    Problem is it doesn't feel like the League without the trinity in it.
    I've lived a while with the League having no Trinity, but I agree. A good solution could be "representatives". John Henry Irons for Supes and Batwing for Batman, maybe? (I'd choose Cass, but she's too young for the League).

If Wally had been reintroduced, still bi-racial but at a proper age instead of that 12 year old BS, he could be a choice too. John Stewart would be good to lend legitimacy to the team, even if I'd prefer Simon Baz myself. Cyborg is a given at this point, and Vixen is a cool choice also. Oh, and Ryan Choi!

To do spoiler tags, use [ spoil ] at the start of the sentence and [ /spoil ] at the end, without the spaces. You're welcome!

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BohemiaDrinker View Post
    I've lived a while with the League having no Trinity, but I agree. A good solution could be "representatives". John Henry Irons for Supes and Batwing for Batman, maybe? (I'd choose Cass, but she's too young for the League).

If Wally had been reintroduced, still bi-racial but at a proper age instead of that 12 year old BS, he could be a choice too. John Stewart would be good to lend legitimacy to the team, even if I'd prefer Simon Baz myself. Cyborg is a given at this point, and Vixen is a cool choice also. Oh, and Ryan Choi!
    Representatives wouldn't be a bad idea actually.

I mean it could work. As you say the league has existed without a trinity before and you list some good names. But would people really "buy" it? Or would they just say "when's Superman coming back?" I think the latter.

I think having a POC team with two or three iconic white members actually gives an opportunity for a writer to manage panel time like was done in the early Silver Age. Superman is, erm, busy. It doesn't have to be quite that drastic but he can be there and not dominate every conversation, be on every page, solve every problem.

You are assuming that because a team is formed solely by POC, that's the reason they deserve to be a team in the first place. However, if the team is all white, this line of questioning is seldom, if ever, made.
    Yep.

I'd recommend Nubia or Philipus in place of Diana. Well, if they exist in the new continuity.

I like the OPs team, could use some more male diversity, particularly Asian male, DC has yet to develop a prominent one on any main team. Also any strong Arab or South Asian male leads reflecting the actual diversity in the US
    Last edited by Güicho; 02-15-2016 at 01:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BatmanBeyond28 View Post
    If you think consciously excluding people based on the color of their skin is a good message to send, sure why not?
    False equivalence there, mate.

BANNED

False equivalence there, mate.
    How so?

The bar for admittance to this team would be skin color...that's it.
    Last edited by BatmanBeyond28; 02-15-2016 at 01:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BatmanBeyond28 View Post
    How so?

The bar for admittance to this team would be skin color...
    You are assuming that because a team is formed solely by POC, that's the reason they deserve to be a team in the first place. However, if the team is all white, this line of questioning is seldom, if ever, made.