Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Spectacular Member

I was initially hesitant on Black Canary's premise but it quickly became one of the books I really looked forward to every month. I'm a couple issues behind on Starfire but have been loving the art and tone so far. I'll probably nab Bizarro in trade at some point. Another friend has been telling me I really need to give Omega Men and Midnighter.

So for me, DCYou got a couple books on my pull list I'm enjoying and have a few more on my radar.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Bifrost View Post
    Oh, please! Aren't people allowed to have opinions anymore - including negative opinions - without being tossed into some box that enables you to dismiss them because they don't agree with you?
    People are allowed to have different opinions.

We have an issue when folks attack books that they are not reading based on the skin tone, sexuality, gender or story one of the book.

Some books got wrote off because of who was on the cover.

Some books got wrote because there was no reason to support a book of a guy who will not be around if that book gets axed

Some books got wrote off because folks wanted DC to fix all the guys they RUINED with New 52.

Some books got wrote off because it featured a minority and like at Marvel-they are being used to blame for low sales.

Folks get their opinions called out when they can support a badly done book (Teen Titans) or bad storyline (Jim Gordon as Batman) yet if someone they don't like (Duke Thomas) shows up-suddenly the book is unreadable. It's been unreadable but why is that person the nail in the coffin?

It wasn't DC You had all bad stuff-they picket the WORST time to do it.

Star Wars & Secret Wars say HELLO.

If this came out say September 2016-when there were no more unexpected shocks from Marvel-might have been a different story.

DCYou wasn't for DCThem (the core DC fanbase of Batman and Geoff Johns readers).

It also came out at the worst possible time, amid Marvel's Secret Wars and Star Wars excitement.

The DCYou books were designed to attract smaller fringe audiences.
    DC just pumped out too many of them at one time, and at the wrong time.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    Folks get their opinions called out when they can support a badly done book (Teen Titans) or bad storyline (Jim Gordon as Batman) yet if someone they don't like (Duke Thomas) shows up-suddenly the book is unreadable. It's been unreadable but why is that person the nail in the coffin?....
    I have to say, I didn't understand your post at all.

I haven't liked what they've done with the Teen Titans since the start of The New 52, but if people enjoy it, I can't exactly argue against that or begrudge them their enjoyment. And some people support the Teen Titans book because they are Teen Titans fans, and want to see some incarnation of the team continue (and maybe improve!) even if they don't like what's going on in the book right now. Some fans are like that with their favorite characters or concepts, because being a fan of a character or a team isn't the same thing as liking a particular flavor of M&Ms. Characters, teams, and universes - especially in serial media - can engage the audience on an emotional level. That's how we get "fans." (And the companies shouldn't sneer at that, because that's also how you get returning and dedicated customers, if you don't drive them away.)

I didn't like Bat-Gordon one little bit. I could rant about it for quite some time. (I simply couldn't believe how they were depicting Gordon - he looked like he was 30 years younger, 50 pounds lighter, just stepped out of the Marines, and decided to sport a mohawk. That's supposed to be Jim Gordon?) But for some people, it's the kind of story they've been looking forward to for years. I won't say I understand that, but they're entitled.

As for Duke, he hasn't bothered me at all, and I don't object to stories just because he's in them. (Nor does he do a whole lot for me.) But I understand the complaints of people who think he's being pushed/promoted in a way that doesn't make any sense. That's more important to some people than to others.

Are you sure the same people who are supporting Teen Titans (for whatever reasons) are the same people who want Duke gone (for whatever reasons)? Because you seem to be accusing that one person, or that homogeneous group of people, of contradictory behavior. I've seen a tendency over many years for people to:

- Group disparate statements made by various fans into one pot;
    - Show that not all the statements in the pot agree with each other;
    - Come to the conclusion that fans are unreasonable and contradictory in their beliefs.

When, in fact, you're talking about different people, each with their own beliefs. One fan could say, "I didn't like change X." A different fan could say, "I wish they would change Y!" And then someone accuses: "See, that's what's the matter with comic-book fans - they get mad when there's a change, and they get mad when there's no change!"

But it's not all the same guy.
    Doctor Bifrost

"If Roy G. Bivolo had seen some B&W pencil sketches, his whole life would have turned out differently." http://doctorbifrost.blogspot.com/

Astonishing Member

What I find funny when people talk sales of books is this. All books lose sales with the exception of Batman. All of them no matter what title and what company. Just look. They all do. Some start lower than others but they all lose sales! Then they get them back when someone does a number #1. People go ohh look marvel is outselling dc bla bla. Well marvel titles have a number #1 ever 6 months! Star Wars is big crap right now and its not connected to the marvel universe. It gives people something they can latch on to and actually think boy I can follow this without a renumbering in two months. But star wars isnt the marvel universe. Look at their sales of their books. They do the same thing over and over. Avengers, All New cooler avenger, werid avengers, bestest avengers ever. None of them maintain sales. Spiderman there biggest character cant have a run more than 12 issues staying over 100,000 before renumbering again. But I suppose perception is reality.

Spectacular Member

"Fans" loved DC You at first; then when the sales figures turned out to be bad they hated it.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Kaye View Post
    "Fans" loved DC You at first; then when the sales figures turned out to be bad they hated it.
    I'm glad you put that first word in quotes, because I have no idea who you're talking about.

I know virtually no fans who change their mind about a series they like because it has low sales. In fact, they're more likely to come on here and yell at other fans for not buying what they consider to be a great book.
    Doctor Bifrost

"If Roy G. Bivolo had seen some B&W pencil sketches, his whole life would have turned out differently." http://doctorbifrost.blogspot.com/

BANNED

At my LCS, DC You books like Doctor Fate, Lost Army, Midnighter & Cyborg have gotten positive feedback from customers. But when it came to the minis, they didn't want to be bothered with them because: A) They didn't really tie into the DC Universe. B) They never heard of the characters. C) They were unimportant, simply because they were minis.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyberpunk Ronin View Post
    But when it came to the minis, they didn't want to be bothered with them because....
    What do you mean by minis?
    Doctor Bifrost

BANNED

What do you mean by minis?
    Bat-Mite, Bizarro & Section 8.

Quote Originally Posted by scary harpy View Post
    I think any hatred for DCyoU is simply an resistance to change.

Most posters seem to want to return to what was instead of trying to enjoy what is.
    You sound like my bosses at work. Any complaints about the bosses pet project system they put in place is just resistance to change. There can be no legitimate criticisms, and if work output tanks just like people said it would, well then people are just sabotaging the new system because they hate change so much.

Seriously, TV fans don't accuse other TV fans of just wanting a rehash of old seasons if they don't like the direction of the new seasons. Wanting something different that is more in line with themes of the past and contains characters they've spent years growing attached to is not the same as wanting no new content. It is also no less legitimate than your own tastes and desires.

BANNED

I have to say, I didn't understand your post at all.

I didn't like Bat-Gordon one little bit. I could rant about it for quite some time. (I simply couldn't believe how they were depicting Gordon - he looked like he was 30 years younger, 50 pounds lighter, just stepped out of the Marines, and decided to sport a mohawk. That's supposed to be Jim Gordon?) But for some people, it's the kind of story they've been looking forward to for years. I won't say I understand that, but they're entitled.
    The Gordon Bunny thing was okay for me at first, the Bloom character seemed creative, and I did like the portrayal of Wayne. It was all a nice change...for several issues. Then it got old, in fact I'd say it stayed fresh and interesting about as long as the Superman-being-Superboy thing. I could even see the basic idea being interesting for almost the length of a trade (what's the average, five issues per?) with the fifth being a welcome change back/wrap up It just seemed the writers were stretching things out too much, and I completely agree about the Gordon portrayal turn around, I never thought of Commisioner Gordon remotely resembling the way he was in those issues. However, I can't complain too much as I just read Batman # 49 and got seriously swept up in the writing, great comic imo.

Overall DC seems to be putting out a select several blockbuster titles (Martian Manhunter, Justice League, JLA, pick another) while the rest at best they seem as thought they're not quite trying hard enough. And those several great titles are more than what Marvel's doing for comics these days imo.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by ilovelocust View Post
    You sound like my bosses at work. Any complaints about the bosses pet project system they put in place is just resistance to change. There can be no legitimate criticisms, and if work output tanks just like people said it would, well then people are just sabotaging the new system because they hate change so much.

Seriously, TV fans don't accuse other TV fans of just wanting a rehash of old seasons if they don't like the direction of the new seasons. Wanting something different that is more in line with themes of the past and contains characters they've spent years growing attached to is not the same as wanting no new content. It is also no less legitimate than your own tastes and desires.
    Apparently DC doesn't make mistakes. It's the fans who are wrong for not accepting the direction DC is taking.

Good analogy.

Astonishing Member

I guess I should not be surprised at some of these responses.

This thread is about hatred...not disliking...not disagreeing...but hatred for the DCyoU!

While opinions are neither right nor wrong, I do think there is a difference between being critical and vomiting bile.

Mighty Member

I...I just want Superman not to be a constant string of crossovers.