Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Questions

Default Questions

Until now my monthly pick ups have been mostly DC, but I picked up Spider-Man 1 this week and really enjoyed it. Before this, the most recent Marvel comic I've read was Civil War. I've been going over the new roster and it seems a lot's changed in nine years. So my question: Could I read Civil War II without having read anything that lead up to it and still understand it?

Question 2: Moon Knight or Punisher? They both have new series coming out and I should only choose one of them.

BANNED

Eh, we don't know much about CW2 at this point, so it's a little hard to judge. Apparently, lots of series will be building up to it, so it may cause some confusion to someone who hasn't read anything in 9 years. CW1 doesn't really have anything to do with the new one though.

Gah, that's a hard question, but I'll go with Moon Knight. Apart from being my favourite comic book character, the creative team is brilliant. Lemire writes crazy extremely well (see Bloodshot: Reborn), so I have high hopes for this. Smallwood has improved a lot as well. As for Punisher, I'm not familiar with the writer, and Dillon is hit or miss. I'd go with MK if I was you.

Yes, you can read Civil War 2 without having read the lead up because im pretty sure that it's going to be pretty stupid like in most of the events; besides that both Civil Wars have in common is that features the Avengers beating the #%&%#% out of each other, and that Iron Man is the leader of one of the sides.

Quote Originally Posted by Darthkostis View Post
    Gah, that's a hard question, but I'll go with Moon Knight. Apart from being my favourite comic book character, the creative team is brilliant. Lemire writes crazy extremely well (see Bloodshot: Reborn), so I have high hopes for this. Smallwood has improved a lot as well. As for Punisher, I'm not familiar with the writer, and Dillon is hit or miss. I'd go with MK if I was you.
    You calling Moon Knight your favorite comic book character makes me very curious. And I just saw some of Steve Dillon's work, and I wan't impressed. Do you think I should read some of the old story lines or go into the new series blind?

All-New Member

I would go with moon knight, too.

Go with Moon Knight. For sure.

I'd guess that you can read Civil War II on its own without much problem at all like most major events. If you crave more context, read Bendis' Invincible & International Iron Man and his Spider-Man.

So it's unanimous then. Moon Night it is. Do you think the Punisher series is one to think about down the road?

I'm a Punisher fan, I would say yes. If you're interested then it will definitely be a good jumping on point if you want to get to know more about Punisher! He's pretty awesome if I do say so myself.

Quote Originally Posted by David Murdock View Post
    So it's unanimous then. Moon Night it is. Do you think the Punisher series is one to think about down the road?
    Check out Steve Dillon's art. Some people love it, some people hate it. It'll no doubt be the deciding factor.

There's also a DD/Punisher crossover mini probably more worth checking out imo.

As for Civil War II, Invincible Iron Man issues just before the event act as a prelude if you're interested, but you could more than likely ignore them.

Glad you've decided to go with Moon Knight. Looking forward to the title myself.
    Currently Reading: DC: Shazam /// MARVEL: Daredevil, Invaders, Winter Soldier /// IMAGE: Seven to Eternity /// TITAN: Bloodborne

Upcoming Reading:

Trade Waiting: IMAGE: East of West, Black Road, The Black Monday Murders /// DARK HORSE: Hellboy, Witcher

Quote Originally Posted by dragonmp93 View Post
    Yes, you can read Civil War 2 without having read the lead up because im pretty sure that it's going to be pretty stupid like in most of the events; besides that both Civil Wars have in common is that features the Avengers beating the #%&%#% out of each other, and that Iron Man is the leader of one of the sides.
    Oh, then I'll be rooting for the other side. If Cap leads the opposition, it will be a wonder if he'll ever speak to Tony again. Heck, it's a wonder he speaks to him now.

Sandy Hausler

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy Hausler View Post
    Oh, then I'll be rooting for the other side. If Cap leads the opposition, it will be a wonder if he'll ever speak to Tony again. Heck, it's a wonder he speaks to him now.

Sandy Hausler
    Captain Marvel's leading the other side. And this time, she's "Tony" and Tony is "Cap".

BANNED

You calling Moon Knight your favorite comic book character makes me very curious. And I just saw some of Steve Dillon's work, and I wan't impressed. Do you think I should read some of the old story lines or go into the new series blind?
    Seems like every writer has a different way of depicting Moon Knight's personality(ies) these days, so reading previous storylines might not be helpful. You'll be in the same boat with
    everybody else when the book starts.

BANNED

I'd say pick up the first 6 issues of the 2014 volume, purely because of their badassery. The whole run (all, 19 issues or so) was damn great, but the first 6 were something else. Anyway, you don't "need" to read them, but they are awesome, single issue stories. Apart from that, I'd look into Moench's MK (the first run) and Huston's 2006 run. You don't need them to read the new vol, but if you have some extra cash and time someday, I'd say go for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy Hausler View Post

Sandy Hausler
    The other side is being led by Captain Marvel.

Quote Originally Posted by Darthkostis View Post
    Captain Marvel's leading the other side. And this time, she's "Tony" and Tony is "Cap".
    Uh, what are they fighting about?

Sandy Hausler