Super Moderator

Default "The Flash" Recap: A Great Rescue and a Great Loss

Tonight on "The Flash" the team staged a prison break to rescue Barry and Jesse, and one character suffered a brutal fate at the hands of Zoom.

Full article here.

All-New Member

Keiynan Lonsdale who plays Wally West was credited in the episode but Wally never appeared...BUT the man in the iron mask IS African American so...he's Earth-2 Wally West who is also a Flash.

Fantastic Member

Keiynan Lonsdale is part of main cast and he will always appear in credits whether he appears in the actual episode or not. See also Paul Blackthorne and John Barrowman on Arrow.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Wisdom View Post
    Keiynan Lonsdale is part of main cast and he will always appear in credits whether he appears in the actual episode or not. See also Paul Blackthorne and John Barrowman on Arrow.
    Nonetheless, the character wearing the mask is African-American. Joe West is dead. He's too thin to be Diggle. It's Wally West of Earth-2. The way he freaked out about Jay suggests the person they've been working with isn't really Jay Garrick, but Zoom. I'm guessing Zoom is his identical twin or was created as a side effect of one of the velocity formulas.
    Hank Pym: You're taking over? Come on, give me one good reason why—
    Iron Man: Three words. You're. Hank. Pym.

The mask would seem to imply that either Zoom benefits from keeping him silent, or from keeping his identity hidden.
    I very much doubt this is E2's Black Canary, unless she's really let herself go, but the blond hair makes me doubt it's Wally. Now, if it was ginger hair....

But, seriously, since up till now Jesse was the only other prisoner, and Barry didn't wake up wearing a similar iron mask, Zoom's keeping his identity a secret from her. Why? That puts a big hole in the "It's really Jay" theory, too - how would Jesse know Jay?
    That also causes serious problems - they wouldn't go with ANOTHER "not-the-real-Harrison-Wells", would they??

Quote Originally Posted by Blind Otto View Post
    But, seriously, since up till now Jesse was the only other prisoner, and Barry didn't wake up wearing a similar iron mask, Zoom's keeping his identity a secret from her. Why? That puts a big hole in the "It's really Jay" theory, too - how would Jesse know Jay?
    Jay doesn't wear a mask, and hasn't in any of the Earth-2 flashbacks from when he was on Earth-2 either. Wells also knew who he was - they had a flashback to a confrontation between the two of them at a press conference towards the beginning of the season. Jesse would recognize his face even if his real name isn't public, and if he could speak he could tell them that.

In fact the idea that he was hiding his identity from Jesse makes it slightly more probable that the guy in the mask is Earth-2 Jay after all (with Earth-1 Hunter Zolomon masquerading as Jay). But that opens up an issue - none of the timings synch up. While Barry and Harry were fighting Zoom on Earth-2, Jay is standing right there with Caitlin on Earth-1. I can believe that he can do the two places at once thing, but I find it hard to believe that he could do it a) simultaneously while fighting Barry and b) across two different worlds (especially given that they explicitly show that the travel time between worlds is not instantaneous even for a speedster at the Flash's level). The one explanation I can think of is that Zoom is using Time Travel to duplicate himself and we're viewing the alternate timeline he's created. Which would actually be kind of an amazing comic booky plot now that I think about it, especially given that they've already introduced time travel as a power that speedsters have in a completely unrelated way.

(I see people claiming he's African American - maybe it's my TV, but I couldn't tell one way or the other last night. The sepia tone filter of Earth-2 and the dark murder basement that Zoom was keeping them in made it impossible for me to discern skin tone on the TV).

erex21

I also don't think the Man In the Iron Mask is African American. I think his hands look a little dark but I attribute that more so to them being dirty because the guy has been locked up in a dingy cage for who knows how long.

Amazing Member

last week i thought was maybe african american but this week it looked more like dirty hands and the back of neck shown looked more white and blondish hair

Quote Originally Posted by Justice View Post
    Nonetheless, the character wearing the mask is African-American. Joe West is dead. He's too thin to be Diggle. It's Wally West of Earth-2. The way he freaked out about Jay suggests the person they've been working with isn't really Jay Garrick, but Zoom. I'm guessing Zoom is his identical twin or was created as a side effect of one of the velocity formulas.
    No, the man in the mask is clearly white with blonde hair. It's Jay. It's the Jay that fought with Zoom and had his speed stolen. The only question then is, who is Zoom, and why would he put a mask on that guys face? Seeing how the situation is similar to The Man in the Iron Mask, I have to think that Zoom may very well be a copy of Jay.

Spectacular Member

Blonde hair doesn't mean anything. Anyone can dye their hair blonde. Case in point: Google "Keiynan Lonsdale blonde" Wally West having a different hair color also ties into Flash lore. Kid Flash's costume exposes his red hair hair so The Flash gave him a special instant dye spray to change the color to brown. It's my guess that Wally West is the Kid Flash of Earth-2.

On my first watch, I noticed the hair color as well and it colored my perception of his hand color as simply dirty. However, upon re-watching the scenes, he's definitely African-American. Also, Jay Garrick is wider than both Barry Allen and Wally West. The man in the mask's body type is closer to theirs than Jay Garrick.

Quote Originally Posted by Blind Otto View Post
    the blond hair makes me doubt it's Wally. Now, if it was ginger hair....

That also causes serious problems - they wouldn't go with ANOTHER "not-the-real-Harrison-Wells", would they??
    Do you actually watch the show?

Wally West is black. His Earth-1 counterpart has already been introduced. He doesn't have red hair. Jesse would recognize Jay Garrick because he doesn't hide his identity.
    Hank Pym: You're taking over? Come on, give me one good reason why—
    Iron Man: Three words. You're. Hank. Pym.