Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Superman: American Alien #4 (Discussion)

Now that the issue is out, here is a place to discuss it and share reactions.

Astonishing Member Dispenser Of Truth's Avatar

Obviously, spoilers.

This was a particularly interesting issue, in that it's the first one that isn't a single unit. It closes its own loop in terms of "this is the lesson learned" (Clark learns about what it means to make a difference from 3 powerful and intelligent but arrogant men), but unlike the first three, which each functioned as a single story unto themselves (aside from the end of issue #3, which was more a punchline than anything else) and we see the effect on Clark, this ends with the effect about to happen, as we start to get to the point where one issue is going to feed directly into the next plotwise as well as thematically. There was some interesting implicit stuff with class going on here that I liked, and some really solid humor. There was also, like with at least one or two other issues, a notably clumsy moment that almost pulled me right out for a bit (the end of Clark's conversation with Dick), and the last two pages are really going to rile some people fierce in making Batman a direct inspiration for Clark becoming a superhero (though since Batman's even more directly descended from the superheroes' pulp ancestors than Superman, I was alright with it).

But on the whole, I liked it, particularly that it made Lois the final direct catalyst for him becoming Superman. And Jae Lee was perfect and perfectly chosen, much like the rest of the artists for the series (if maybe only by luck - I saw recently that Landis had originally wanted J. Scott Campbell for issue 3, and boy, that comic would've been...different). And the backup was good, big turn up from the painfully indulgent Mxy one last issue. At this point, much as it's poisoned by context for me because of Landis, I have to grit my teeth and admit this really is an all-time great Superman comic, if not in the All-Star/Secret Identity echelon many will surely place it in. If nothing else, he's gotten much better at comics where Superman talks with dudes since that issue of AOS.
    Buh-bye

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Goodness, what an issue!

It's no secret that I've been a big fan of this book since day one. There was just something to this take that really shined to me. Issue #4 REALLY presented itself as a posterchild for this shine, for me. Once I read that this issue would be called Owl I kept racking my brain on what bearing that would have on the story. Dove brought up imagery of fragility and beginnings. Owl and it's cover had me set to the idea of ancient Grecian parallels and questions. After reading the actual issue I think I'm two for two!

In this book Clark is the questioning owl (Clark is always the bird) aka the reporter. To mix metaphors a bit Clark is also representative of man or the "everyman" (a bird pretending to be a man or is he a bird that is also a man?) Lex, Oliver, and Bruce are modern day gods with agendas (good or bad) and machinations that in some cases (Lex). These are men who have the ability to change the landscapes of countless lives around them. Clark all throughout remains beta to these alpha types, even showing innocent ignorance to Lex. Clark's always asking questions as per his job, but also his personality. Landis explains (over Twitter) that Clark is a person who's naturally more incline to differ to or learn from the people around him. His Clark is very much a student of the world. I'd wondered how Landis would get that idea into the story as it's one of my favorites (the embers hinted at a bit in #3). This issue artfully accomplishes this AND it makes me as a reader what to know more about these people that Clark finds so captivating.

This book also works on another level. It's very relatable. Who here has ever spoken to another person or watched a movie or show and has gleamed greater meaning for yourself even if the story was completely unrelated to you? Damn near everyone, right? Well that is Clark Kent here. He's speaking to these powerful people on how to use power or specialness and I think it's obvious Clark internalized all of it in some manner and came to his own personal conclusions.

Lois' start and ending was perfect, for me. She is the secret and final powerful person (if you remember she's the front runner journalist student and absolutely exudes confidence in her into) that influences and emboldens Clark with that final epiphany moment. She sort of brings all of the assorted information he's gathered into something greater.

I'm more that satisfied with this book, and my soul is crushed knowing that it's ending in only 3 issue! But so much is packed in this run that i can't be too mad.
    Last edited by Superlad93; 02-18-2016 at 12:17 AM.

Astonishing Member Johnny Thunders!'s Avatar

Spoilers!

Definitely have a love hate relationship with this book when it comes to Batman. Love the exchange with Ollie and Robin, but disagree that Bruce would give Kent the idea to put on a cape. I would reverse that dynamic, Clark wearing a cape would inspire Bruce to wear a mask as an outlet for his rage. Surprisingly loved how Lex is an Ayn Rand disciple and his talk about the Man of Tomorrow was great. Love the idea that Lex Ollie, and Bruce are all young big shots. Still, superman as an adult Robin, grrrrr. I don't understand how Superman has to come second, even in the real world it didn't happen that way.
    Last edited by Johnny Thunders!; 02-18-2016 at 07:04 AM.

Always Rakzo

Really liked this.

In terms of characterization, this was quite interesting. The way how every character who appeared here influenced Clark's view was nicely done. I think that Landis got Ollie's personality fine enough about how the accident in the island made him realize how privileged he has been all his life and made him want to help others (which is what I've been saying for a while and the major reason why Ben Percy's current story about how "becoming a werewolf makes you realize that you're privileged" is completely ridiculous and stupid), I've some nitpicks about how the whole accident shouldn't have affected Ollie in such a strong way considering that he's still an ultimately flawed person who keeps commiting even worse mistakes than just being a rich douche but then again, is fine as it is.

Lex Luthor had a pretty good portrayal, is pretty much an egocentric guy but at least there's an interesting twist to it that makes it more complex than usual. Bruce is as classic as you get.

Dick Grayson though, certainly had the most fascinating portrayal here. Being characterized as a pretty perceptive kid who actually inspires Clark instead of the other way around is an unique take in their relationship. It was pretty compelling.

Lee's storytelling was perfect too. What a good read.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Man, everybody inspires Clark!

The bloke at the corner store inspired Clark to wear glasses, the laundromat fella turned him onto red boots.

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    Man, everybody inspires Clark!

The bloke at the corner store inspired Clark to wear glasses, the laundromat fella turned him onto red boots.
    Obviously if you want to learn how to be Superman, you go to Batman. To me, superman would be the most certain of characters. Good Kanasas upbringing, evolved mind and body. He's what other characters train to become. Great story but, just saw the cover for issue 5, was totally joking about Clark as the adult sidekick. Grrrr

I like how Superman moped the floor with Batman and immediately found out his secret identity yet we still find reasons to complain about Batman

Astonishing Member Dispenser Of Truth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    I like how Superman moped the floor with Batman and immediately found out his secret identity yet we still find reasons to complain about Batman
    Kinda gotta agree. The nicest thing the issue has to say about Batman is "nice idea, wrong execution".
    Buh-bye

Really? I think this is a new classic, it's that well written, and that well drawn, but I reject the premise that Batman would inspire Superman to become a costumed hero.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Thunders! View Post
    Obviously if you want to learn how to be Superman, you go to Batman. To me, superman would be the most certain of characters. Good Kanasas upbringing, evolved mind and body. He's what other characters train to become. Great story but, just saw the cover for issue 5, was totally joking about Clark as the adult sidekick. Grrrr
    Much agreed, man.

Kal-El should he far beyond needing to learn the ropes from anybody once he hits adulthood. He's had Jonathan Kent, Jor-El, the various people he came across in his world travels. Hell, even Lois Lane.

I hate all the beta male Clark stories.

Astonishing Member

I'm not sure if you're all missing the point or you're actually opposed to it. I can't see either.

The point of the issue is that Superman listens. Superman processes. Superman learns. Superman assimilates, and improves. He takes something from Ollie, he takes something from Lex, he takes something from Batman, he even takes something from Dick Grayson. And then he makes it his own. It's brilliant.

As to people upset that he's inspired by Batman? Superman is inspired by humanity. That is, arguably, the central tenant of the character. Every day, every person, every action, inspires him. That's what makes him Super, and that's why he protects humanity.

Guys, really. C'mon.

As much as he listens, he inspires and I find it just as reasonable that he would inspire Batman into heroics. The real world worked out that way so why not in story?

For me the beauty of Superman is that he learned what it meant to be superhuman by listening closely to regular people, not other super heroes. Krytpon gave him his powers but the Kents made him Superman.

I thought the issue was mostly good, but I still was disappointed.

Instead of page time for Oliver Queen, I would have preferred seeing Lois get and conduct her interview with Bruce Wayne. That way, the book would have had a better balance between male and female characters. Oliver Queen, though offering a solid variation on the larger theme of men with power and privilege figuring out who they want to be and how they want to affect the world, isn't a Superman character or one that has a history of being too relevant to Superman outside of maybe Smallville which featured young Oliver and Clark as friends before Clark became Superman. I kind of feel the same way about Dick Grayson. One of these should have been dropped or both should have been curtailed to give more time to other things, like Lois.

Bruce/Batman is one of Superman's longest standing friends and allies in the DC Universe. Lex Luthor and Lois Lane are the great enemy and the great love of Superman's life, generally speaking. Getting to see the brilliant and resourceful Lois Lane that Landis set up actually get the interview she spoke of earlier and provide a more fleshed out look at the theme of the story, but likely a different one considering she is a woman and not someone either born with money or with superpowers, would have made for a much richer and entertaining story for me.

As it stands, while I found the ideas compelling and the art impressive, I felt it was all a bit monotonous, and it was less of a story and more of a series of essays.

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Deniz Camp View Post
    I'm not sure if you're all missing the point or you're actually opposed to it. I can't see either.

The point of the issue is that Superman listens. Superman processes. Superman learns. Superman assimilates, and improves. He takes something from Ollie, he takes something from Lex, he takes something from Batman, he even takes something from Dick Grayson. And then he makes it his own. It's brilliant.

As to people upset that he's inspired by Batman? Superman is inspired by humanity. That is, arguably, the central tenant of the character. Every day, every person, every action, inspires him. That's what makes him Super, and that's why he protects humanity.

Guys, really. C'mon.
    Eloquently put, man. Had I gone up to bat with this I'd have beat around the bush so long that my point would be diluted.

This take on the character has genuinely been one of the freshest and most enjoyable I've seen. And this point you've made is a great big reason why. It makes him so very relatable but somehow pretty grand at the same time.

I've been reading a few comments on the book around a bunch of places, and one thing that struck me was that you find a lot of people saying "I've never picked up a Superman book but...." or "I haven't picked up a Superman book since the 70s but...." and then it's followed by something like "this book is fantastic" or something like that. Landis seems to have gotten across to people something very special that even some of the best and well meaning Superman writers never could. What that something is might be a mix of relatablity or flexibility with the character, but I can't say for sure. Down the line I hope someone really smart decides to break it down (*wink*). I have my idea but nothing complete.

But I mean for goodness sake I just read a post where someone fondly remembered the sliver age, and disliked the modern diluting of it's concepts. Then in the same post explain how much they loved American Alien. I think that's pretty freakin' cool.