Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Thunders! View Post
    As much as he listens, he inspires and I find it just as reasonable that he would inspire Batman into heroics.
    I don't see how that would happen considering that Batman's approach is completely opposite to what Superman is doing. Hey I see this guy doing amazing things, maybe I should do everything backwards? I don't think that it works as "in universe" motivation for Bruce. What we got here on the other hand makes some sense, as DoT basically said Batman has good idea but is completely wrong by how he tries to accomplish it.

Also I think that people are underplaying Lois in this issue. It was her words "lets make a tidal wave" and "do something big" that ends up with Superman trying out the cape.

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

So Batman and Dick Grayson inspire Clark to become Superman, also Superman works for Batman in Landis' pitches for Agent of Batman and MoS 2, and in Max's version of the Death of Superman, Clark learns kung-fu from Batman.
    I bet that in Landis canon, when the Kents die, Clark is adopted by Bruce Wayne.

Astonishing Member Johnny Thunders!'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Last Son of Krypton View Post
    So Batman and Dick Grayson inspire Clark to become Superman, also Superman works for Batman in Landis' pitches for Agent of Batman and MoS 2, and in Max's version of the Death of Superman, Clark learns kung-fu from Batman.
    I bet that in Landis canon, when the Kents die, Clark is adopted by Bruce Wayne.
    That's funny!

Incredible Member

Landis is just knocking it out of the park each time. Won't say it deserves to stand next to All Star, but it should definitely be considered the companion piece with it. Landis had a lot to prove given his beliefs about Superman, and i think he's done a great job.

I look forward to this each month. Sad there is only 3 issues left.

Max can't do it now because of his TV show responsibilites, among other things, but he should definitely get a Superman run at some point. I think he understands the character well, and he trys new things while at the same time stays true to the character. Or at least to the version of the character he and those who agree with him see Superman.
    Last edited by The Nuke; 02-19-2016 at 06:12 PM.

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Lois is very likely Asian American in American Alien (https://twitter.com/AnnaAkana/status/701111751606038528) Nothing concrete but Akana and Landis do seem to be good friends.

Edit: It'd be interesting to maybe have Lois relate to Clark more by being first or second generation born in America. It's essentially how Landis frames Clark's heritage (and how I think it should be framed). Like Krypton is "the old country", if you get my meaning. So it'd be nice to have Lois be able to ground that idea with an in story touchstone. Never would've thought of it.
    Last edited by Superlad93; 02-20-2016 at 01:24 PM.

I reread the issue and i think you could have the same balance argument work but it would have to be a different context: like a younger rookie batman deciding that an older more established Superman's optimism wasn't as effective in gotham.

Blueraider does have a point about Clark interviewing Dick would be considered illegal/unethical but I think his piece wouldnt get published or he might have decided to not use whatever he got from Dick in his final project.

Other criticism involves him being pushed to the side in his own book but thats a little false. The other character do have spotlight but Clark still interacts with him and we see new sides to him like his reaction to Lex saying he isnt important was my favorite moment.

All in all a good issue.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by misslane View Post
    I thought the issue was mostly good, but I still was disappointed.

Instead of page time for Oliver Queen, I would have preferred seeing Lois get and conduct her interview with Bruce Wayne. That way, the book would have had a better balance between male and female characters. Oliver Queen, though offering a solid variation on the larger theme of men with power and privilege figuring out who they want to be and how they want to affect the world, isn't a Superman character or one that has a history of being too relevant to Superman outside of maybe Smallville which featured young Oliver and Clark as friends before Clark became Superman. I kind of feel the same way about Dick Grayson. One of these should have been dropped or both should have been curtailed to give more time to other things, like Lois.

Bruce/Batman is one of Superman's longest standing friends and allies in the DC Universe. Lex Luthor and Lois Lane are the great enemy and the great love of Superman's life, generally speaking. Getting to see the brilliant and resourceful Lois Lane that Landis set up actually get the interview she spoke of earlier and provide a more fleshed out look at the theme of the story, but likely a different one considering she is a woman and not someone either born with money or with superpowers, would have made for a much richer and entertaining story for me.

As it stands, while I found the ideas compelling and the art impressive, I felt it was all a bit monotonous, and it was less of a story and more of a series of essays.
    Yeah, more Lois would have given it more of a backbone connecting the various interviews in my mind.

Extraordinary Member Doctor Know's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    Lois is very likely Asian American in American Alien (https://twitter.com/AnnaAkana/status/701111751606038528) Nothing concrete but Akana and Landis do seem to be good friends.
    Or a collage of different Asian and European ancestry, like Anna Akana.
    0:00 - 0:20

Didn't we already have an Asian Lois before?

Last edited by Doctor Know; 02-22-2016 at 10:59 PM.

I loved this issue! One of the best Lex Luthor scenes I've read in a long time. He was arrogant, scary, brilliant, etc. just a perfect Lex characterization. And oh man did I love seeing Clark scare the crap out of Batman. Bruce trying to do his intimidation routine and suddenly he's half way through a wall. And the ease in which Clark ripped off the cowl and exposed Bruce's most guarded secret. I do love seeing Batman get brought down to earth every now and then.

Quote Originally Posted by Last Son of Krypton View Post
    I didn't see it as Clark being inspired by Batman so much as him being inspired by what Dick Grayson said about Batman doing it wrong and how people need hope. Which I found interesting since it's a story that Supes tells Grayson years later that inspires him to become Nightwing.
    Oddly enough Lex also helped put the idea in Clark's head. Pragmatism over fatalism. Of course without the extreme arrogance that Lex displays.

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Char Aznable View Post
    Or a collage of different Asian and European ancestry, like Anna Akana.
    His Lois is half Japanese. Confirmed by Landis.

Is there a reason we can't have another one?

His Lois is half Japanese. Confirmed by Landis.
    Ah cool. So he settled on specific ethnicity.

Is there a reason we can't have another one?
    No. Just pointing out (cheekily) that Landis' American Alien has some of the same quirky parallels to Buisek's Secret Identity.

Astonishing Member Dispenser Of Truth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Char Aznable View Post

The Lois in Secret Identity was Indian.
    Buh-bye

Quote Originally Posted by Dispenser Of Truth View Post
    The Lois in Secret Identity was Indian.
    And India is considered and Asian country. It shares a border and a lot of historical cultural aspects with China.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Lois was also, at least, part Hispanic/Latino in ALL STAR SUPERMAN.

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    Lois was also, at least, part Hispanic/Latino in ALL STAR SUPERMAN.
    Was she really? Hmm, you know, I can totally see it now that you've pointed it out. Neat.