Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

Default Extraordinary X-Men # 7 Review

Suprised there isnt already a review thread for this?

Anywho...Another great issue!

I am in a little bit of a rush right now, so this will be vague...

spoilers:

Storm & Jean discover that Kurt is such a mess because many mutants in Germany were executed and dumped into the woods, and apparently he couldn't handle seeing that.

Their journey through Kurt's mind involved Jean & Storm crawling into the visor of a giant Cyclops

Back in Weirdworld, Sunfire explains that he was fleeing his country for X-Haven after the mutant riots, but got stuck in Weirdworld and has been holding a ring of fire around him & his refugees ever since they landed. Magik doesn't care and tries to attack Sunfire claiming that his & Cyclops' actions are what caused him to flee in the first place.

They are then attacked by ghosts! Magik finds the source of the magic in a cave and stabs some creepy old wizard. However, before she dispatches him, he warns her that she cannot stop the coming of the "Fall of the Kingdoms". And not even the little girl (Sapna) can save her.

Creepy Wizard dies/disappears and The X-Men go home with Sunfire & his refugees.
    end of spoilers

I will try to add more details later!

I understand that we're only getting Cliff's Notes version here, but a request for context:

spoilers:
    Kurt has seen a lot of bad crap in his stint with the X-Men. Like slaughtered children and crucified teammates levels of awful. He's been through more than one mass-slaughter of mutants. And Decimation. And he's recently dead and literally been through hell and all but laughed it off. So why was this an extra-special brand of awful so bad that he retreated from reality? Or was it more that plus his time as Sinister's guest?
    end of spoilers

Quote Originally Posted by Anduinel View Post
    I understand that we're only getting Cliff's Notes version here, but a request for context:

spoilers:
    Kurt has seen a lot of bad crap in his stint with the X-Men. Like slaughtered children and crucified teammates levels of awful. He's been through more than one mass-slaughter of mutants. And Decimation. And he's recently dead and literally been through hell and all but laughed it off. So why was this an extra-special brand of awful so bad that he retreated from reality? Or was it more that plus his time as Sinister's guest?
    end of spoilers
    Cause! I'm hoping it was more than that, cause it all honestly fell flat.

I didn't like this issue at all. It's kinda the worst of them all for me. Weirdworld was such a shoehorn element here, it led to nothing except maybe a possible plot down the line with Magik?

If I have to compliment something is maybe Jean in the mind trip even though Storm carrying the stupid ball a bit.

completely gross ending. a little too on the nose for my taste

Niffleheim

I didn't like this issue at all. Storm and Kurt were pointless because they have been thru this and more but they came off as newbies compared to the newbies. Who cares about Jeen's shock??? The Hallmark hugfest at the end was too schmaltzy for me.
    "Dedra Meero is not just a woman in a men’s world, but a fascist in a world of fascists.” - Denise Gough

This Illyana makes me want to cry. Not even gonna get into the rest. This series continues to just be painful...
    Last edited by Godlike13; 02-17-2016 at 11:39 AM.

>Good art. Horrible story.
    >Why are character seems to be written like they are experiencing these things for the first time? Storm and psychic spaces, Kurt and mass murder... There's a way to introduce concepts to new readers without making the characters seem like rank amateurs. Jeen went from Miss Untrained Psychic 2015 to needing wires and tech just to go inside someone's mind 'safely'.
    >Want to get instant reader shock and sympathy? Mass graves in Germany.
    >That 'hug it out' ending was horrible.
    >The only good parts were the upside down pages and Magik's random encounter with random evil wizard. Her subplot may be the only good thing about this book for me at this point... but it may be tied into some magic threat plot from Doctor Strange's book.
    >Illyana's betrayal of her former commander, Cyclops, is ridiculous.
    >And how exactly was normal fire keeping ghosts at bay?
    >My Apocalypse Wars quit date for this book approaches.
    Last edited by nx01a; 02-17-2016 at 11:43 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by The General, JLA #38
    'Why?' Just to see the disappointment on your corn-fed, gee-whiz face, Superman. And because a great dark voice on the edge of nothing spoke to me and said you all had to die. There is no 'Why?'

Quote Originally Posted by xhx23x View Post
    Cause! I'm hoping it was more than that, cause it all honestly fell flat.
    There really wasn't more explanation? Oh, FFS...

Niffleheim

Ilyanna just made me cringe. She was all SCREAM and ATTACK. Everything about the subplot was predictable.
    "Dedra Meero is not just a woman in a men’s world, but a fascist in a world of fascists.” - Denise Gough

not in this issue at least. And judging by the HUG it out that puts the Care Bear Stare from Phoenix Endsong to shame, I am not sure we'll get one.

Nope. It did feel quite rushed IMO.

Another bland entry into the series. I was also boggled by why Jeen and Storm found as to the alleged explanation for Nightcrawler's breakdown. As grisly as it was, my thought was, "That's it? Really?" He's been through worse, horrible as that was, and he's never shut down like this. He helped with the funeral services after the schoolbus incident, for crying out loud.

BANNED

More terrible Magik, Kurt's "eine Freundin" that makes no grammatical sense, the tonal whiplash of the open grave (in Germany, very subtle Jeff!) in a series full of quipping and lighthearted Ramos art, the nonsensical explanation that this leads to Kurt's current state, Storm's ever-expanding incompetence, CYCLOPS CYCLOPS CYCLOPS, the entire fruitlesness of this storyline (PLEASE BUY WEIRDWORLD BECAUSE ITS A GIANT FLOP), just terrible, terrible storytelling everywhere.

Bendis started well, but dropped off a cliff. Lemire decided to just start at the bottom of the ravine.

BANNED

The biggest plus I'll give the issue is the short arc and not taking too long to get everything done.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Ambaryerno View Post
    The biggest plus I'll give the issue is the short arc and not taking too long to get everything done.
    That just made the whole thing all the more pointless.