Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Most Versatile Super-Powers?

What are the most versatile super-powers? I mean powers that can be used in a wide variety of situations.

Some possibilities:

1.Superhuman intelligence - In comics, superhuman intelligence often seems to grant a character expertise in a wide range of sciences, as well as the ability quickly create working prototypes of brand new technology. The smartest of these characters seem capable of nearly anything.

2. Superhuman strength - This seems like the opposite of superhuman intelligence, at least in terms of versatility. But superhuman strength is a common power in comics, with a variety of applications. Hitting hard and lifting huge objects is part for the course. But a strong character might do more, like superhuman leaps for rapid travel, thunderclaps for area-of-effect attacks, tremor-inducing stomps to knock over nearby folks, space tosses, and strategic knockbacks.

3. Magic (and "any sufficiently advanced technology", such as a Lantern ring) - comic publishers tend to avoid explicit rules for magic, leaving writers free to handwave in nearly anything plausible that advances the story. So magic can be used for attacks, defenses, control, distraction, illusion, transportation, etc.

4. Powered armor - seems to function like an overly powerful version of Batman's utility belt, often giving super-smart characters a handy place to store their high tech.

5. Superhuman speed - rapid transportation, defense, an effective alternative to stealth, inefficient scouting, the ability to take out a horde of mooks quickly or save a bunch of civilians quickly, maybe high-speed ramming or even vibratory attacks, or even time manipulation stunts.

Green Lantern Ring - does pretty much anything.

[edit] Oh, I didn't see that GL was thrown into the same category as magic...
    Last edited by j9ac9k; 02-17-2016 at 03:01 PM.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Shellhead View Post
    3. Magic (and "any sufficiently advanced technology", such as a Lantern ring) - comic publishers tend to avoid explicit rules for magic, leaving writers free to handwave in nearly anything plausible that advances the story. So magic can be used for attacks, defenses, control, distraction, illusion, transportation, etc.
    I'll like to add the power cosmic, and reality warping to that list.

I'd say Magic, a Lantern-Ring, or some sort of adaptive power like Darwin (the X-Man, not the 19th Century naturalist) would be most versatile.

Quote Originally Posted by HFMM View Post
    I'll like to add the power cosmic, and reality warping to that list.
    Yeah, them too.

Oh, and Reed-Prep.

Telekinesis has many users too.

Telepathy would pwn in reality.

Incredible Member

Magneto's ability is pretty versatile, heck it even works on thing that are not related to his power.

Quote Originally Posted by HFMM View Post
    Magneto's ability is pretty versatile, heck it even works on thing that are not related to his power.
    Well, it's a fundamental force so he has some measure of control over everything. Powerful as he was (is he back to normal yet?) he was capable of just kinda .. shouting MAGNETS! and otherwise lolnoping Proteus.
    Yeah, but if you... man, we're getting into weird analogy territory, like if you disintegrated Superman's arms he wouldn't be able to go "fool! Little did you know that my arms and I are one and can be remade from me!" and will his arms back into being from pure nothingness. - Pendaran

Arx Inosaan

Quote Originally Posted by The Chou Lives View Post
    Telekinesis has many users too.
    How could I forget telekinesis? I made an rpg character last year who only had telekinesis because I knew the GM would allow it and that I could use it for lots of situations.

John Byrne was a fan of the idea that most of Superman's abilities were actually functions of telekinesis.

Quantum manipulation comes under magic, right?
    There is no "overkill". There is only "open fire" and "I need to reload.".

I like to think the 90s was the time when comics hit puberty. They’d grown out of being endearing but hadn’t yet figured out where to channel their emotions to not be utterly whiny cocks. -Beadle

Quote Originally Posted by TerryAce View Post
    Quantum manipulation comes under magic, right?

I would think so.

Astonishing Member

1.Superhuman intelligence - Be tne next Bill Gates or Jobs - make money. Boring for a supertype.

2. Superhuman strength - Join the circus. Do construction? So what.

3. Magic (and "any sufficiently advanced technology", such as a Lantern ring) - If it is Lantern ring level, this is it. Endless possibilities. You can give yourself strength, fly, read minds - all you want. Rule the world - this is a reality warping level.

4. Powered armor - So what. You are living in a tank. Fight petty criminals, go trash North Korea? Who cares.

5. Superhuman speed - Join the NFL and just speed fast enough to become the greatest player ever. Make a fortune. Run around and hit muggers - who cares.

Astonishing Member

Does Intuitive Aptitude fall Under Superhuman Intelligence?
    whatever Scientists tells us what they believes are the only things that exists in Reality(our world), they treats what US government and mainstream news media said about things like 9/11, CO2 Emissions, and so on as their gospel

https://lnk.bio/Masonicon

calling Real Life Martial Artists that can break walls "Comic Book Peak Human" is like calling Pre-new52!Cassandra Cain "Shounen Manga character"

BANNED

Omnipotence is the most versatile power.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Shellhead View Post
    How could I forget telekinesis? I made an rpg character last year who only had telekinesis because I knew the GM would allow it and that I could use it for lots of situations.

John Byrne was a fan of the idea that most of Superman's abilities were actually functions of telekinesis.
    And then we got the Plutonian.