Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

1. Reality Warping
    2. Magic/Spellcasting. The effect can be anything, depending on the spell.

It does't get any more versatile than these two powers. They literally can encompass everything.

Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu_of_R'lyeh View Post
    I have more pancakes than you.

I win.
    (aims Ultimate Nullifier at Cthulhu) Your pancakes or your tentacles? Choose which you will sacrifice, ocean dweller.

And I'll take Reality-warping. Unlike magic, I don't need to expend energy nor require studying the mechanics of it to influence anything. Simple imagination and the will power to materialize it into physical reality is enough.
    Last edited by Len Ikari145; 02-21-2016 at 09:45 PM.
    Ichigo: What even *are* you?!

Kenpachi: Some say my mother was a train. Some say that I'm a rejected Godzilla monster too strong for the series canon. But everyone says: I'M THE KEEEEENPACHIIIIII!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Len Ikari145 View Post
    (aims Ultimate Nullifier at Cthulhu) Your pancakes or your tentacles? Choose which you will sacrifice, ocean dweller.
    Neither.

*Boop*

Ultimate Nullifier is now a stack of flapjacks.

And I'll take Reality-warping. Unlike magic, I don't need to expend energy nor require studying the mechanics of it to influence anything. Simple imagination and the will power to materialize it into physical reality is enough.
    Reality warping is pretty fun, can confirm.
    Yeah, but if you... man, we're getting into weird analogy territory, like if you disintegrated Superman's arms he wouldn't be able to go "fool! Little did you know that my arms and I are one and can be remade from me!" and will his arms back into being from pure nothingness. - Pendaran

Arx Inosaan

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Len Ikari145 View Post
    Unlike magic, I don't need to expend energy nor require studying the mechanics of it to influence anything. Simple imagination and the will power to materialize it into physical reality is enough.
    That's exactly how "magic" works in a ton of different settings. You just will it to happen and it happens.

Again, distinction without a difference.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Endless_Legend View Post
    Not really. You're delineating an artificial different where there is none.

If the power basically means "can do the impossible", it's essentially the same thing as saying "can do anything". The difference is only one of quantity, not quality. You call a character with alot of magic "omnipotent", but it really isn't anything different, just more.
    No, your argument equates "a lot of magic" with "omnipotent", my argument is that there is a distinct difference between those two powers. That there can be overlap between two powers does not make them the same, nor the difference trivial. That's like saying time travel and super-speed are essentially the same ability because some high-end characters can time travel via super speed. A magic character being unable to accomplish a feat does not make that character any less magical, an omnipotent character being unable to accomplish a feat disqualifies said character from being omnipotent.

Omnipotence isn't just magic, it's reality warping, it's super-speed, it's super-strength, it's flight, it's time travel, it's invulnerability, it's intangibility, it's toon-force, it's creation, it's absorption and nullification among anything else all rolled into one, which is why such characters have a tendency to be described as "all powerful". Part of what an omnipotent can do is remove the magic from a magical being against his or her will, while a magical being cannot do the same against an omnipotent character's will. That alone is a difference in versatility.

You claim the delineation within my argument is "artificial"... in relation to what? Your argument offers no clear delineation at all. Superman and Wonder Woman can both fly under their own power, are both using a limited form of magic? Are they also using a limited form of reality warping if there's no distinction between reality warping and magic? Or is flight a power in and of itself, independent of reality warping/magic? If flight can be independent of reality warping/magic, why can't those two be independent of each other? If reality warping and magic can be independent of each other, why can't omnipotence be independent of everything else? If this thread is to have any point whatsoever then analyzing the powers independently is a necessity.
    Last edited by Lax; 02-22-2016 at 04:13 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Lax View Post

Omnipotence isn't just magic, it's reality warping, it's super-speed, it's super-strength, it's flight, it's time travel, it's invulnerability, it's intangibility, it's toon-force, it's creation, it's absorption and nullification among anything else all rolled into one.
    Again, no difference. I can think of at least three magic systems in various fictional settings that is all of these things as well. Snip the rest of your post, because it contained no useful arguments.

Magic is a catch-all term for any number of other powers, whatever the author and/or setting designer want. It can include anything. Sometimes it includes everything. When it includes everything you can call it "omnipotence" but that's like insisting that "Ferrari" is a separate category from "Sports Cars".

A Ferrari is a Supercar, exqueeze me.
    Yeah, but if you... man, we're getting into weird analogy territory, like if you disintegrated Superman's arms he wouldn't be able to go "fool! Little did you know that my arms and I are one and can be remade from me!" and will his arms back into being from pure nothingness. - Pendaran

Arx Inosaan

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu_of_R'lyeh View Post
    A Ferrari is a Supercar, exqueeze me.
    I imagined you saying that in Jar Jar's voice.

I'd like to give a shout out to Nico Robin's Hana Hana no Mi powers. Any strong haki user should by right be damn near unstoppable with the ability to sprout a thousand limbs anywhere. They could immediately grapple and break logia users from range without the need to aim a projectile, and would be able to fly for very long periods given enough physical training.

Robin would break the story if she trained physically half as hard as Zoro does.