Page 1 of 17 1234511 ... LastLast

Default Avengers Controversial Opinions II

This was definitely my favorite thread in the old forum. So many great discussions came out of it. I think it's only fair that it's given a chance of continuing.

For starters:

Mighty Avengers is the best Avengers book comming out now.

Peace

The YOUNG Avengers (and I'm talking aaaaaall of the Avenger Youth) are the BEST Avengers!

BAM.

Quote Originally Posted by Fokken View Post
    The YOUNG Avengers (and I'm talking aaaaaall of the Avenger Youth) are the BEST Avengers!

BAM.
    I'm not a great fan of the Young Avengers. Even as a concept, they seem kind of redundant, and I think the only member of theirs I really warmed up to was Tommy, and there is not much that I like about him that I can't find in Pietro. That said, I don't know why, but I have to admit that I enjoyed immensely Heinberg 's initial series and even the Children's Crusade (of course, Jimmy Cheung's art is a great part of this enjoyment). I loved the stories, but I really can't stand the characters. Wierd, I know.

Peace

Nick Fury Jr and Coulson are good characters

Hickman's Avengers books are the best Avengers books.

Quote Originally Posted by Nomads1 View Post
    This was definitely my favorite thread in the old forum. So many great discussions came out of it. I think it's only fair that it's given a chance of continuing.

For starters:

Mighty Avengers is the best Avengers book coming out now.

Peace
    I find it hard to believe that's controversial.

For myself, Dr. Druid is a great character

I think Uncanny Avengers right now is my favorite Avengers book.

I enjoy Hickmans book a lot, as far as it's big scope and epic feel. But it kind of drags a bit.

And I think Mighty Avengers is a great book... there's literally nothing bad I can say about it. But it doesn't capture that epic larger than life feel that the other Avenger books do, at least not after the first arc IMO.

I think Uncanny captures that epic scope that you sometimes look for in an Avengers book. Big A list characters in big A list epic Avengers adventures. But it moves at brisk pace without many of the character beats being lost in the shuffle. It literally combines the elements I like from the other Avenger books together in one nice neat package.

I do think there are a few instances here and there where the characterization is a bit questionable, but the upsides outshine the the downsides.

Maria Hill's a great character, and Marvel needs more characters like her.

Hank Pym is one of the most interesting characters, and needs more of a spotlight on him.

Secret Avengers Vol 2 was exactly what a spy book should have been, and was one of the best two Avengers books on the stands.

Quote Originally Posted by UltimateTy View Post

Totally agree. I love their friendship

Quote Originally Posted by Mockingbird View Post

Hank Pym is one of the most interesting characters, and needs more of a spotlight on him.

Secret Avengers Vol 2 was exactly what a spy book should have been, and was one of the best two Avengers books on the stands.

Totally agree. I love their friendship
    Yeah I think marvel in general has done a great job developing some non-super hero characters. Hill for example (and I say that as a person that has been very vocal in his criticism of her in the past). As a character, she's gold. It's why she's used so much, moreso than even Fury at this point. Even though Fury is and always will be the man, Hill right now is the face of SHIELD. In the comics at least.

Obviously in part a lot of this is likely done to create greater synergy between the comics and the cinematic/tv universe but still, it benefits the comics greatly when we've got support characters like this in the books. We may not always love them for their roles in the stories, but we NEED them.

Can't tell which is worse, Nick Fury suddenly having a black son and making him head the prominent Nick Fury or Angela being Thor and Loki's sister.

Hickman is dragging on with no pay off.

Quote Originally Posted by UltimateTy View Post

I like Movie/TV Coulson, and, no doubt, Clark Gregg acting is a huge part of this, but I don't think anybody's yet managed to capture de essence of the character in the comics. As for Nick Fury Jr, I'm sorry, but IMHO, he is miles behind his daddy as a good character.

Quote Originally Posted by Blindpugh View Post
    I find it hard to believe that's controversial.

For myself, Dr. Druid is a great character
    Well, as shown by Fokken (is that you, Yanapryde?), UltimateTy and X-Pac, that is not an unanimous opinion.
    I also like Dr. Druid, especially because he sereved his porpose of being a jerk in the story everyone hates him for.

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    I think Uncanny Avengers right now is my favorite Avengers book.

I enjoy Hickmans book a lot, as far as it's big scope and epic feel. But it kind of drags a bit.

And I think Mighty Avengers is a great book... there's literally nothing bad I can say about it. But it doesn't capture that epic larger than life feel that the other Avenger books do, at least not after the first arc IMO.

I think Uncanny captures that epic scope that you sometimes look for in an Avengers book. Big A list characters in big A list epic Avengers adventures. But it moves at brisk pace without many of the character beats being lost in the shuffle. It literally combines the elements I like from the other Avenger books together in one nice neat package.

I do think there are a few instances here and there where the characterization is a bit questionable, but the upsides outshine the the downsides.
    Yeah, UnAvengers tell the kind of stories I like to read in Avengers book, but I really can't get over the forced mutant/human innerconflict and the occasional, as you put it, questionable charactarizations. As I've said before, I'll probably pick it up down the line, when the TPBs get cheaper.

Peace

Amazing Member

I loved Avengers A.I. I missed a couple of issues last year, but I picked up all of the others and I'm going to miss reading it.

Age of Ultron was a genuinely good story. Infinity was a bad story. Age of Ultron was far better than Infinity.

Hawkeye shouldn't be on the Secret Avengers. Also, Mockingbird is a way cooler character than Hawkeye.

I lose track of volumes now everything renumbers all the time. Whose version was that? On the strength of your other 2 statements I want to check it out

Quote Originally Posted by Blindpugh View Post
    I lose track of volumes now everything renumbers all the time. Whose version was that? On the strength of your other 2 statements I want to check it out
    It was the volume by Spencer, the one before the current series. The team was ran by Hill, with Fury Jr, Coulson, Black Widow, Mockingbird, Hawkeye, Quake, and Taskmaster.

BANNED

It was the volume by Spencer, the one before the current series. The team was ran by Hill, with Fury Jr, Coulson, Black Widow, Mockingbird, Hawkeye, Quake, and Taskmaster.
    I liked Spencer's version quite a bit, and don't understand the need to revamp everything. The new one is okay with me, but it seems like it was just change for change's sake.
    Were sales that bad?