Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Tiamatty View Post
    I liked the idea - a joint team of Avengers and X-Men, a PR team trying to promote tolerance for mutants. It's the execution I have a problem with, because it's utterly ignored the whole "PR team trying to promote tolerance for mutants."
    Yeah, what you mentioned is something that really keeps me away from the book.

Peace

Quote Originally Posted by dupersuper View Post
    Well sure: she's Colbie Smaulders.
    Well, yes, but I meant in the comics with the short hair.

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tiamatty View Post
    I liked the idea - a joint team of Avengers and X-Men, a PR team trying to promote tolerance for mutants. It's the execution I have a problem with, because it's utterly ignored the whole "PR team trying to promote tolerance for mutants."
    This is just my personal opinion, but I never thought the public in story would 100% buy the reason for the unity team. Sure the team wants to show togetherness with humans and mutants, but the Avengers have always welcomed mutants, so it's really just another Avengers team to the civilians. Sure there's a few more of them (mutants), but it's nothing the average joe has seen before.

Maybe if in story they made a bigger deal out of the fact that it's half Avengers and half X-men and these are the two groups that almost destroyed the world, but are now trying to make amends. Like, "We had a public fuel that almost ruined everything for everyone, but want to put aside our differences and will work hard to regain the public trust." I mean, I know that's sorta what it is...but make a bigger show that the problems were caused less by prejudice more by these super teams fighting.

Spectacular Member

I think Hickman is the best Avengers writer since Busiek chronologically, but probably the best since the silver age of Roy Thomas and Byrne. Slow burn aside, he truly understands the concept of what an Avengers series should be: impossible odds, massive threats, classic and new enemies and interpersonal team conflict. The only difference is that he took out a lot of the plot filler like charter meetings and romantic subplots.

Hell, once his run is over I think I might say he have had the best Avengers story ever between Avengers and New Avengers. Busiek, for as much as I hate his dialoging, had plenty of massive storylines but I think Hickman is trumping them all with his 3 year plan.

All that said, I don't know how impactful any current Avengers iteration would be if Bendis didn't deconstruct them to begin with and reinvigorate the series, as much as I think his plots and writing is complete crap.

Spectacular Member

Secret Avengers serves no purpose and I can't understand how it keeps getting green-lit. It's the little Avengers title that can't. I do miss the Shadow Council and their copyright-free pulp character allegory characters.

Mighty Avengers is a great series but feels a bit decompressed. I can't list it better as New or adjectiveless, those two take the notion of the Avengers to a new level. However, it's fun and a good read. Just wish it would move a bit faster. I could also do without the kids. Get rid of White Tiger and Power Man for Black Knight and US Agent and you'd have some fun.

Quote Originally Posted by somebodyatcbr View Post
    I think Hickman is the best Avengers writer since Busiek chronologically, but probably the best since the silver age of Roy Thomas and Byrne. Slow burn aside, he truly understands the concept of what an Avengers series should be: impossible odds, massive threats, classic and new enemies and interpersonal team conflict. The only difference is that he took out a lot of the plot filler like charter meetings and romantic subplots.

Hell, once his run is over I think I might say he have had the best Avengers story ever between Avengers and New Avengers. Busiek, for as much as I hate his dialoging, had plenty of massive storylines but I think Hickman is trumping them all with his 3 year plan.

All that said, I don't know how impactful any current Avengers iteration would be if Bendis didn't deconstruct them to begin with and reinvigorate the series, as much as I think his plots and writing is complete crap.
    I think more people will appreciate his run when its over.

Quote Originally Posted by !Pharozonk! View Post
    Hank Pym is not only one of the few Avengers characters I like, but he's also one of the best Marvel characters period.
    He's in my top ten of Marvel characters, heroes and villains combined (which is a thread someone should bring back). He may even crack the top 5.

Quote Originally Posted by somebodyatcbr View Post

Quote Originally Posted by UltimateTy View Post
    I bought the first couple of TPBs of Hickman, and wasn't really all that excited about it, so I haven't really continued with it. Wasn't disssatisfied (whenever I read a Bendis TPB, for exemple, I actually felt cheated), but wasn't excited either, and, IMHO, books have become too expensive for you to invest in something that you are not truly digging. Waiting for the Infinity TPB to read it in one sitting, and, after Hickman leaves, if they ever put out a series of those "The Complete Series" TPBs, I might actually buy it, but I guess those plot fillers that you mentioned make some difference for me. Bendis was all plot filler (boring plot filler at that) and not enough meat to his stories. Hickman, I guess it feels a bit to dry for my tastes. I am a character guy, after all. IMHO, Ewing has demonstrated, so far, a great balance between plot (bombastic and otherwise) and character. I hope after Hickman leaves, he get's a chance at the main book (or at least someone with sensibilities similar to his).
    Oh, an I totally disagree with the bit of the impact of the book due to Bendis reestructuring. Unlike what Robert "Alexander Pierce" Redford says in Captain America, I don't belive that the best way to build something new is to take down the old.

Peace

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by UltimateTy View Post
    I sure will.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Lt Trouble View Post
    Well, yes, but I meant in the comics with the short hair.
    That seems like an odd thing to rate. Every comic character is only as attractive as the artist drawing them this particular appearance is making them.

Right now, I think, most of them are pretty bad.

Quote Originally Posted by dupersuper View Post
    That seems like an odd thing to rate. Every comic character is only as attractive as the artist drawing them this particular appearance is making them.
    Some people think that short hair makes her too masculine and unattractive, which is bs. She looks awesome with short hair.

Quote Originally Posted by Mockingbird View Post
    Some people think that short hair makes her too masculine and unattractive, which is bs. She looks awesome with short hair.
    I agree. It looks good on her. It gives her a hard, dominant look, which works for her, since she's a hard, dominant woman.

Astonishing Member Darkspellmaster's Avatar

I agree on the Maria hill thing. Also about Mighty avengers being one of the best books out there now.

As for opinions....

Loki and Magneto make far better semi heroes then they ever did villains.

New Avengers Breakout was the first Avengers book I ever read.

I love that story and like a lot of the Bendis run. It's nostalgic to me.

Controversial opinion indeed.