BANNED

Default i can't handle talking to an online friend who just can't seem to understand why he's frustrating to be around

known this guy for several years now and had fun playing fighting games with him on my ps3 but over time i started noticing he only wanted to talk to me to discuss what he wanted to and complain about his problems as soon as i tried to talk about something he'd either say "I don't know" or "i guess" without even listening to what was being said

he never lets anyone talk long before interrupting them and going onto what he really wanted to say....

offline or online i really really hate people who just use you like a garbage can they dump all their problems into and i wanna believe he's a better person than he really is....it's just i cannot keep giving him chance after chance to be nicer and more respectful of people when he's clueless to why i avoid talking to him in the first place now(he keeps thinking there's something wrong with me because I'm not talking to him even when other people tell him it's because he doesn't care about anyone else)

i realize this is a stupid topic it's just i don't know how to deal with someone online or offline who acts like everyone sucks except him and tries to play innocent when nobody does what he wants them to do

i try to believe that everything will get better since this is someone I've spent years talking to and playing fun games with...despite the long distance between us we still had our strange friendship although with his all about me mindset I'm starting to wonder how much of that was really friendship and how much of it was just me thinking it was friendship....

BANNED

There are so many issues on so many levels. I know people can be kind of annoying sometimes or even make you feel like your being lead backwards, or going nowhere. But sometimes they say stuff to avoid doing something else that could be even more self destructive
    I get a lot of that in college honestly.
    Last edited by DanArt; 02-18-2016 at 08:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Chrysalis_Changling View Post
    known this guy for several years now and had fun playing fighting games with him on my ps3 but over time i started noticing he only wanted to talk to me to discuss what he wanted to and complain about his problems as soon as i tried to talk about something he'd either say "I don't know" or "i guess" without even listening to what was being said

he never lets anyone talk long before interrupting them and going onto what he really wanted to say....

offline or online i really really hate people who just use you like a garbage can they dump all their problems into and i wanna believe he's a better person than he really is....it's just i cannot keep giving him chance after chance to be nicer and more respectful of people when he's clueless to why i avoid talking to him in the first place now(he keeps thinking there's something wrong with me because I'm not talking to him even when other people tell him it's because he doesn't care about anyone else)

i realize this is a stupid topic it's just i don't know how to deal with someone online or offline who acts like everyone sucks except him and tries to play innocent when nobody does what he wants them to do

i try to believe that everything will get better since this is someone I've spent years talking to and playing fun games with...despite the long distance between us we still had our strange friendship although with his all about me mindset I'm starting to wonder how much of that was really friendship and how much of it was just me thinking it was friendship....
    He just sounds selfish. You deserve better friends, someone you can chat to and relate to. He needs to not have friends till he grows up.

This really hit me, as a couple of years ago I met online a friend who I was very fond of as a teenager 30 odd years ago. Long story short now I know why we moved on lol. Oh one more thing she was a woman.

Unadjusted Human on CBR SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

The best solution to make this guy stop chatting his problems to you is reply "I guess..." "Hmmm maybe..." and just repeat that process til he learns to be a better friend.
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “ Well hell just froze over. Because CM Punk is back in the WWE.” - Jcogginsa.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.
    "Revel in What You Are." Bray Wyatt.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Chrysalis_Changling View Post

Not a stupid topic at all, your 'friend' is passive aggressive and toxic and is looking for attention, and if you are not careful they will infect you with their garbage. Depends on your personality of course and how much you want to maintain the relationship. If you're not a chipper Pollyanish person who can point out the brighter things in life. You can either 1. change the topic and not react to what they say or 2. politely bow out of the conversation and slowly with draw from the friendship. Maybe they will get the hint. Given what you have posted I would not recommend giving them a lecture on how their negativity is affecting you because they will just make it about them, and that you are picking on them. You seem to have a good heart, but just remember that their negativity is more likely to infect you than you are to infect them (you can catch someone's sickness but not their health), all things must come to an end eventually and there are 7 other billion people on the planet. Find a friend who will edify and make you better not worse.

Is it possible that this person is lonely, or troubled and doesn't have anyone else to talk to? Listening is a skill, a very useful skill. However, not everyone is good at it or enjoys doing it. The decision is yours: continue as is, confront them about how this is bothering you (be honest), or walk away.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.