Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Avoiding the worst forgotten_utopia's Avatar

Default How to introduce the Phoenix saga in X-men cinematic universe?

Lot of people are speculating & suggesting that the next big thing in the XCU will be the phoenix/dark phoenix saga.
    So how do you think this should be done?

My thoughts:
    ---------------

1st step: Rise of the phoenix. Show Jean's potential saving her friends, her being changed. coma etc... they've done that before, but they should embrace the cosmic dimension. this can introduce the cosmic dimension.
    2nd step: Introduce the Shiaar empire. Xavier psychic connections with Lalandra etc... M'karan crystal etc...
    3rd step: Dark phoenix Saga

==> this can be done through several films. let's say two major Xmen films:
    1-Xmen Rise of the Phoenix
    2-Xmen Dark phoenix

and few spin offs to complete the story. like marvel's Phases///
    they can do the starjammers/ Shiars/ adventures of cyclops and Jean to show her changing (this can be a low budget soap opera)/

__________________________________________________ _____________

What do you think??
    Be the change you want to see in the world.
    Mahatma Ghandi

i would suggest a trilogy for the phoenix and have it set in the late 80s-90s. that way you could finish the trilogy right around y2k

I love the Phoenix story and Jean is my favorite comic book character period...But I've never been convinced that introducing the Phoenix into the film universe as is was a particularly good idea. Being the X-Men's most famous story it's expected to be addressed, but the X-films are so grounded in relative reality and the Phoenix is so tangential to what the X-Men are supposed to be about it just doesn't feel like it fits anywhere. If this were the more comically fantastical Marvel U I'd be all for it.

That said, with DoFP and its time travel shenanigans and the upcoming Apocalypse film the franchise has been making strides into more science-fantasy surreal territory, but with the Phoenix it would definitely have to be a slow burn with at least two average length films to cover it. We'll see how this young Jean Grey makes out as I think they are going to tease at least a little about the scope of her powers.

I assume we want it like the comics? Or should they do their own spin on the Phoenix saga? I would love to see the shiar on screen esp seeing how popular space is in movies right now.

do we think sophie turner jean will display a phoenix in apocalypse?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by AcesX1X View Post
    do we think sophie turner jean will display a phoenix in apocalypse?
    No. Probably just an easter egg or two about it though.

How I'd do the Phoenix Saga in 3 movies.

Movie 1: Have Cyclops and Jean grow as leads. have Mr. Sinsiter as the main villain. Show Jean as just Jean, that way we get the change when she eventually becomes the Phoenix in part 2. The end scene for this movie could be Lilandra calling out to Xavier warning him of what's to come.

Movie 2. Introduce the Phoenix. Introduce the Shiar Empire. Introduce Starjammers. Villain is D'Ken. Movie ends with Phoenix sacrificing herself.

Movie 3. Introduce HF Club. Introduce Dark Phoenix. Movie ends with her sacrificing herself but for real this time.

Actually, maybe three movies is not enough especially if we wanna do justice to Starjammers, Shiiar Empire or the HF club.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by ariwl1 View Post
    I love the Phoenix story and Jean is my favorite comic book character period...But I've never been convinced that introducing the Phoenix into the film universe as is was a particularly good idea. Being the X-Men's most famous story it's expected to be addressed, but the X-films are so grounded in relative reality and the Phoenix is so tangential to what the X-Men are supposed to be about it just doesn't feel like it fits anywhere. If this were the more comically fantastical Marvel U I'd be all for it.

That said, with DoFP and its time travel shenanigans and the upcoming Apocalypse film the franchise has been making strides into more science-fantasy surreal territory, but with the Phoenix it would definitely have to be a slow burn with at least two average length films to cover it. We'll see how this young Jean Grey makes out as I think they are going to tease at least a little about the scope of her powers.
    Fox is finding that moving closer to the comic book storylines is good business. Deadpool did very well. DOFP with sentinels and time travel also covered more of the fantastic parts of the X-Men, and now they are introducing Apocalypse. Cable will appear in the next Deadpool. Cable, a time traveling cyborg.

Oh and look at the power levels Apocalypse has been shown to enhance his followers too. He's an ancient immortal mutant and that in itself as cosmic. The X-Men Universe will go completely in that direction because that's what makes superhero films money. Being reasonably close to the comics.

BANNED

Introducing the Shi'ar would be simple. Perhaps new mutant manifestations on Earth have worried them so they decide to intervene.

I have no problem with Jean being Phoenix. However we saw her die twice in the films and I really don't want to see her die again. I also don't want to see her go crazy or evil again either. Also since we saw Jean as Dark Phoenix in X-Men 3, let's completely avoid that again. I wouldn't mind seeing Phoenix/Jean save the universe. But go evil and die? NO, NO, NO, NO, NO! It's been DONE to DEATH even in the films!

Well if the previews and interviews for X-men Apocalypse are a sign of anything, Fox is already setting things up for another Phoenix Saga. And this has me worried because the first time they tried that in X3, they didn't just get it wrong. They went completely against the underlying themes of the Phoenix Saga. The reason why the Phoenix Saga had such a great impact was because it was built around self-sacrifice, inner struggles, and a genuine love story. The story we got in X3 was...precisely NOT that. Jean didn't killer herself. She made Wolverine do it. There was no love story, just a lopside love triangle. There was no inner struggle. Jean just went nuts and never looked back. So Fox screwed up badly. There's no doubt about it.

That said, the bar is so low that pretty much anything is an improvement. This is why I'm so glad Sophie Turner got the role. Except for the main cast, she's the biggest name in terms of star power. She could definitely carry a Phoenix Saga if Fox wanted to go in that direction. She's already having visions in the trailer. That means her powers might already be escalating, which is the first sign.

Perhaps X-men: Apocalypse can be a prelude of sorts. And the next movie could build on it before culminating in the third movie, which could introduce the Hellfire Club or the Shi'ar. But that all depends on how much Fox wants to invest in this story that they already screwed up once. And I'm not convinced they're going to commit once McAvoy, Fassbender, and Lawrence leave. I think they might be more inclined to develop Deadpool and X-Force rather than focus on the new cast in X-men Apocalypse. But for now, I'm content with Fox staying away from the Phoenix Saga for a while longer.
    Join me on the official website for X-men Supreme, home of Marvel Universe 1015. Want a fresh take on X-men? Click below to enter the official home of Marvel at it's most Supreme!

Or if you want, check out my YouTube channel, Jack's World.

Astonishing Member Celestialbodies's Avatar

How about we take a different approach and NOT do the Phoenix Saga or at least change the formula. We all know how it ends and while yes it is one of the greatest X-stories it also kills a lot of potential. The plot across several films is only leading one place and that's her death and while it does make for an incredible story I do think better ones should be told. Why not have her embrace this power and use it to make change introduce mutants to the wider world on a new stage, use this character growth in power and personality to tell other adventures. I want to see stories from the comics I think we deserve at least that much but I would hope that there is a bigger plan than the usual, Jean gets powerful, Jean turns evil, and then Jean dies stories. They are repetitive and there has got to be a new direction to go with this concept and character.

I don't want to see Jean Grey sacrifice herself yet again in the movies. I like her alive. I do want to see her live up to her potential as an A list superhero. I want to see her fly and do amazing things with her powers. Did you guys see the movie called Chronicle a few years back? It didn't do very well but I thought it was an excellent movie portraying what happens to a troubled man when he is granted incredible telekinetic powers. His 2 best friends are also granted powers and they have to stop him. I am not suggesting that Jean Grey turn crazy or anything, but the movie had some great effects that showed how dangerously powerful a telekinetic can be. And of course there's Carrie.

Avoiding the worst forgotten_utopia's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by forgotten_utopia View Post
    Lot of people are speculating & suggesting that the next big thing in the XCU will be the phoenix/dark phoenix saga.
    So how do you think this should be done?

My thoughts:
    ---------------

1st step: Rise of the phoenix. Show Jean's potential saving her friends, her being changed. coma etc... they've done that before, but they should embrace the cosmic dimension. this can introduce the cosmic dimension.
    2nd step: Introduce the Shiaar empire. Xavier psychic connections with Lalandra etc... M'karan crystal etc...
    3rd step: Dark phoenix Saga

==> this can be done through several films. let's say two major Xmen films:
    1-Xmen Rise of the Phoenix
    2-Xmen Dark phoenix

and few spin offs to complete the story. like marvel's Phases///
    they can do the starjammers/ Shiars/ adventures of cyclops and Jean to show her changing (this can be a low budget soap opera)/

__________________________________________________ _____________

What do you think??
    as I suggested the rise of the phoenix is about her embracing the phoenix. later they can kill her in the dark phoenix.
    IMO the key to success is real phoenix. cosmic level story. and a genuine love story between jean & scott. get the audiance hooked with the couple & make her do the sacrifice "suicide" at the end of the dark phoenix
    Be the change you want to see in the world.
    Mahatma Ghandi

Jean doesn't have to die necessarily just to do the Phoenix saga(s). They could do something like the animated series version where Jean dies but is immediately resurrected when her teammates decide to give up a piece of their own life in order to revive her.

Anywho, I'm fine with seeing Phoenix again in the movies but it needs to be a slow approach before they introduce it and not just jam it into one movie. If they are in fact heading for Phoenix films, I hope the most we get in apocalypse is one or two hints.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by WallStreeter View Post
    I have no problem with Jean being Phoenix. However we saw her die twice in the films and I really don't want to see her die again. I also don't want to see her go crazy or evil again either.
    Also since we saw Jean as Dark Phoenix in X-Men 3, let's completely avoid that again.
    I wouldn't mind seeing Phoenix/Jean save the universe. But go evil and die? NO, NO, NO, NO, NO! It's been DONE to DEATH even in the films!
    That was NOT Jean as Dark Phoenix. That was more like a lame version of Negasonic Teenage Warhead. A true Dark Phoenix story definitely needs to be done. She doesn't have to die but it def needs to be done.

Jean doesn't have to die necessarily just to do the Phoenix saga(s).
    Becareful, you'll be accused of not being an XMEN fan if you don't do the story 100% the way it happens in the books.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Celestialbodies View Post
    How about we take a different approach and NOT do the Phoenix Saga or at least change the formula. We all know how it ends and while yes it is one of the greatest X-stories it also kills a lot of potential. The plot across several films is only leading one place and that's her death and while it does make for an incredible story I do think better ones should be told. Why not have her embrace this power and use it to make change introduce mutants to the wider world on a new stage, use this character growth in power and personality to tell other adventures. I want to see stories from the comics I think we deserve at least that much but I would hope that there is a bigger plan than the usual, Jean gets powerful, Jean turns evil, and then Jean dies stories. They are repetitive and there has got to be a new direction to go with this concept and character.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grey View Post
    Jean doesn't have to die necessarily just to do the Phoenix saga(s). They could do something like the animated series version where Jean dies but is immediately resurrected when her teammates decide to give up a piece of their own life in order to revive her.

Anywho, I'm fine with seeing Phoenix again in the movies but it needs to be a slow approach before they introduce it and not just jam it into one movie. If they are in fact heading for Phoenix films, I hope the most we get in apocalypse is one or two hints.
    Well, if a different approach and or a change in the formula is whats needed the MCU can adapt...

What If? Vol. 2 #32

and, for a squeal follow it up with...

What If? Vol. 2 #33