Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    CBR got me like.. Maxpower00044's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Deniz Camp View Post
    It'll be the same deal, probably, but his one creator owned thing is already through Vertigo. Assuming he's happy with that, he could well stay there.
    I'd love him to do some image work, but if he created cool stuff for Vertigo I don't have a problem with that (other than the ads).
    Last edited by Maxpower00044; 02-18-2016 at 12:53 PM.

Astonishing Member

Creator owned is creator owned, qualitatively. As long as the creators are happy, I'm happy.

There are a few benefits to working with Vertigo - you're salaried (cash advance), you don't have to do the editorial work, and these days you have a more direct pipeline for tv/film optioning (via New Line). You really get to focus on your work as a writer.

Happy to see Kinf staying at DC, even though I love his Vision.

Astonishing Member Dispenser Of Truth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Wally West View Post
    Is Tom King really a good successor on the batman books after legendary runs by G Morrison and Scott Snyder? Does he have the chops?
    His run probably won't be as wildly successful as Sndyer's commercially, but it will almost certainly be better.
    Buh-bye

Is Tom King really a good successor on the batman books after legendary runs by G Morrison and Scott Snyder? Does he have the chops?
    As huge fans of both Morrison and Snyder, I'd say he has more than enough chops. Check out his work. It's fantastic.

Quote Originally Posted by penthotal View Post
    F**k no, I loved The Vision
    +1 Hopefully, it's in the contract, that he can finish that out, assuming it ends/or his end, is at #12. I don't see Dc wanting it to prolong pass that. Congrats to King, but it's bittersweet, because Vision is an Amazing book.

How the HELL, did Valiant let Clay Mann slip away, UGH!!!!!!
    #MagnetoWasRight

King was contracted for 12 issues of The Vision. I doubt that will (or even can) change.

I prefer his work of either of the other two (and I like both).
    Current Pull: Lazarus, The Realm, Seven to Eternity, Aquaman, Flash, Justice League Dark, Justice League Odyssey, Sideways, Black Panther, Captain America, Daredevil, Death of the Inhumans.

Future Pull: Killmonger.

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

I haven't read much by King, but even I hear such good word of mouth about him that I think he will deliver the goods on Batman. (And if Snyder is on Tec, then Batman fans will have a dynamic duo of writers churning out quality stories)

Gone might be the days when the Batman title was quality and Detective Comics was treated like mostly nothing with forgettable stories. (I mean if it wasn't Dini or Snyder, Detective was just nothing really worth reading)
    Last edited by JBatmanFan05; 02-18-2016 at 01:23 PM.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Deniz Camp View Post
    Creator owned is creator owned, qualitatively. As long as the creators are happy, I'm happy.

There are a few benefits to working with Vertigo - you're salaried (cash advance), you don't have to do the editorial work, and these days you have a more direct pipeline for tv/film optioning (via New Line). You really get to focus on your work as a writer.
    on image they don't need to do editorial work if they don't want and have money. There is more money that returns, Rights fot tV and cinema are much better than vertigo.
    No wonder majority is working for Image.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

King's BATMAN will be much, much richer than Synder's.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tayswift View Post
    on image they don't need to do editorial work if they don't want and have money. There is more money that returns, Rights fot tV and cinema are much better than vertigo.
    No wonder majority is working for Image.
    I'm getting the sense that you don't know how it works at Image. "There is more money that returns" is only true assuming you sell a certain amount, that you have a certain name. Certainly you get a greater percentage of profit than you do at Vertigo, but 70% of 10 bucks isn't much.

Image requires a lot of investment and a lot of risk. If you have the fanbase to sustain a book, then you're golden - guys like Scott Snyder, John Hickman, etc are all doing brilliantly. But if you don't have that kind of fanbase yet - if you're still building - then you could well lose money. Especially if you're paying a page rate to your artists out of pocket, and especially of those artists are 'big' names. Add in an editor you're paying up front, add in colorists and letterers, add in logo and design...that's a HUGE investment.

Again, once you're established, it's clearly the best option. But there is arithmetic to be done.

Likewise, TV and Cinema doesn't just happen. It has to be negotiated and sold. To get your best deal, it helps to have someone with connections and with know how -- which is why many get an agent. Companies like BOOM and VERTIGO and ONI have people who do that work for you.
    Last edited by Deniz Camp; 02-18-2016 at 01:27 PM.

Great news for Tom King, great news for DC, and--if King is the next writer on Batman--then great news for Batman, too. Bad news, of course, for Marvel and The Vision comic, which was the best titles out of the "All-New, All-Different" relaunch.
    --Mike McNulty, a.k.a. Stillanerd. Contributor for Bam Smack Pow! and Viral Hare
    Previous Articles for Whatever A Spider Can.
    Previous Articles for Spider-Man Crawlspace.

Don't ever take a fence down until you know the reason why it was put up.--G.K. Chesterton

John Timms is a good artist with great potential. Clay Mann is a fantastic artist, Poison Ivy book looks gorgeous. And, of course, Tom King, i'm sure he will continue to deliver amazing stories like Omega Men.
    I hope Steve Orlando, Rob Williams, Mark Russell, Mikel Janin and Jason Fabok are getting exclusives too.

Quote Originally Posted by penthotal View Post
    F**k no, I loved The Vision
    Yeah, while I'm happy King is going to benefit professionally... This hurts, a lot.