Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Oh don't get me wrong I'm not saying they're going to age him back up. I'm just not convinced he's going to have a stronger role in her book just yet. They didn't with her New 52 relaunch even though they de-aged him and gave them a romantic past, so I'm just not going to say with any certainty that they're going to do it now. For whatever reason DC has displayed a marked lack of interest in him overall in regards to utilizing him within the WW mythos. That can change with a drop of a hat, but I'm just in a position now where I'll see it to believe it.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 02-18-2016 at 06:42 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Poison View Post
    Agreed. They could use the Perez origin but have Steve be young and available for Diana. Keep Steve's New 52 Argus position and you have the best of both worlds.
    I would be more than pleased with that. The potential of Wonder Woman characters appearing in the Wonder Woman book again is long overdue. Steve Trevor was one of the bright spots of the New 52, of course you wouldn't know this if you only read Diana's solo series.

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    Oh don't get me wrong I'm not saying they're going to age him back up. I'm just not convinced he's going to have a stronger role in her book just yet. They didn't with her New 52 relaunch even though they de-aged him and gave them a romantic past, so I'm just not going to say with any certainty that they're going to do it now. For whatever reason DC has displayed a marked lack of interest in him overall in regards to utilizing him within the WW mythos. That can change with a drop of a hat, but I'm just in a position now where I'll see it to believe it.
    The silhouette against blue does have what appears to be a hooded arrow, which might match up with the hooded silhouette in blue.

However, the hood doesn't mean "Grell" Green Arrow is the only possibility.

BANNED

All I want from this Rebirth is a break up between Superman and Wonder Woman, a break up between Wonder Woman and the sword and a break up between Wonder Woman and the Superman editorial office. And a proper artist too

That looks like they are bringing back the original Clone Superboy, a Female Green Lantern, and the pre-crisis Kara Zor-El/Supergirl.
    Richard Alexander

Incredible Member

Could they not take a leaf out of the TV shows books, and make a young Steve the son (grandson?) Of the Perez version.

Maybe have the older Steve be the reason for Diana trip to 'mans world.' In the 40's, only to have her disappear after the war and return in the present day....

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Pamp_Lusa View Post
    All I want from this Rebirth is a break up between Superman and Wonder Woman, a break up between Wonder Woman and the sword and a break up between Wonder Woman and the Superman editorial office. And a proper artist too
    yeah her not having a father and all this is a good enough start for me

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Interesting. I wouldn't mind a return of some Perez elements. Amazon characters like Philippus and Artemis returning, in place of their discount expies, would be awesome. I'd even welcome the returns of the Kapatelis women and especially Myndi Mayer. Plus, we could get purple haired Circe, ditch the Cult of Hippolyta stuff and have Barbara Minerva chilling in her awesome ancestral castle, and less garish Greek Gods.

But I really don't want Perez's Steve and Etta back, nor do I want the overly complicated reincarnated cavewomen origin for the Amazons, and I want them to be technologically advanced. My ideal version of Wonder Woman has always been a fusion of Marston and Perez, and it would be cool if this was it.

Also, fix Donna please. Pre-Crisis origin, it made the most sense.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Pamp_Lusa View Post
    ... a break up between Wonder Woman and the sword
    That would be awesome. I fully understand Wonder Woman needing to use weapons when and IF required. But, Diana does not need to head into every battle carrying a sword and shield. After all, one of Wonder Woman's central conceits is that she extends an open hand of compassion, before she forms a closed fist for azz-kicking.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Poison View Post
    From: http://www.bleedingcool.com/2016/02/...rom-dc-comics/

There’s a Wonder Woman closer to the George Perez interpretation…

Please please please let this be the case!
    I hope so without the Perez elements that bogged down the book:

- geriatric Steve Trevor

- all gods, all the time

- Amazons as Bronze Age throwbacks

- no Diana Prince

I really think the 80s pre-Crisis period set in Washington, DC got a lot of things right -- geopolitical conflict, the toxic brew of politics, media, and the military-industrial complex, and so on.

And I desperately want the real Etta Candy back -- the one Marston created, and that only Gail Simone otherwise knew how to write.

I'm actually pretty annoyed at this. This will be the THIRD major revision to Diana's origin in seven years! The JMS thing, Azzarello, and now this. And the annoying thing is that Diana's origin is not what needs fixing! I don't care for Azzarello's origin, but otherwise his run was an interesting and distinctive story. Finch's Wonder Woman comics are terrible, and it's nothing to do with whether Diana is Zeus' daughter or made from clay - they're just badly written.

Changing the origin won't magically bring back old readers, or bring in new readers, if the writing itself is retreading the same old ground. Think about it: revising Diana's origin will basically reset her back to the start of the New 52. We'll have to be reintroduced to the new continuity all over again. Another year of reintroducing the gods, Steve, Etta, Strife, Hera, Hyppolita, etc, before we can actually get to telling some new stories about Wonder Woman!

This is what is stopping Wonder Woman comics from achieving the popularity they should have: they keep trying to 'fix' her and in the process they forget to tell decent stories.

Spectacular Member

My understanding of the articles posted here on CBR and from watching the video with Geoff Johns is that this whole "Rebirth" thing will be taking elements from a character's entire history and "moving the character/story forward." So I'm hoping to see elements of ALL aspects of WW history, not just simply reverting back to the Perez version. Would be nice to have some of the original Marston aspects in there as well. I would think this would also be the ideal time to FINALLY clear up all the muck with Donna Troy and re-establish her true, Bronze-Age origin story. And I would like to STRONGLY AGREE with the previous post that wants to see "...a break up between Wonder Woman and the sword." If "Rebirth" gives us a WW who looks and acts like Diana and not Xena, I will gladly spend my money on it!

Quote Originally Posted by Cowtools View Post
    Changing the origin won't magically bring back old readers
    Uh, yeah, it would--although there wouldn't be anything magical about it. I've been off the main title since Azzarello's third issue. I would come back and I can't be the only one who would do so.
    Last edited by Largo161; 02-18-2016 at 10:04 PM.
    “You see…the rest of them are soldiers. But [Wonder Woman] is an artist.”

I only support the made of clay origin.

Quote Originally Posted by Largo161 View Post
    Uh, yeah, it would. I've been off the main title since Azzarello's third issue. I'll come back and there won't be nothing magical about it. And I'm sure I'm not the only one who'll return.
    Out of curiosity...

How much of the "New52" origin has to change for that to happen?

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    Out of curiosity...

How much of the "New52" origin has to change for that to happen?
    Give me the clay origin and Amazons who aren't rapists/murderers.
    “You see…the rest of them are soldiers. But [Wonder Woman] is an artist.”

I only support the made of clay origin.