Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Poison View Post
    This and the message Geoff gave alone with it. He clearly said that there are things missing from the DCU and like with his Green Lantern and Flash Rebirths, he wants to bring certain elements back while moving the characters forward like he did with the Sinestro Corps War, Blackest Knight, and Flashpoint.

Don't get me wrong, I don't think(or want) DC to bring everything from the Perez version back but the origin, more civilized Amazons, and a dark, scary Ares would great. Keep Steve young, make Etta like the Marston or Legend of Wonder Woman versions and we're off to a good start IMO.
    Come to think of it, since Johns has been out publicly (on Twitter) to say Rebirth isn't a reboot, doesn't it seem more likely that whats going to happen is that they bring things from the past into the current setting? Like you say, Ares going to back to the Lord Sauron look, Etta getting chubby (don't think they will change her skin color though) and more noble Amazons than throwing out the New 52 and go back to something closer to what was before?

Quote Originally Posted by Outside_85 View Post
    Come to think of it, since Johns has been out publicly (on Twitter) to say Rebirth isn't a reboot, doesn't it seem more likely that whats going to happen is that they bring things from the past into the current setting? Like you say, Ares going to back to the Lord Sauron look, Etta getting chubby (don't think they will change her skin color though) and more noble Amazons than throwing out the New 52 and go back to something closer to what was before?
    One reader's take...

This bet is being hedged.

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

That's possible but I do think DC is aware of how many people dislike the New 52 Amazons so I could see them either retconning them or downplaying the aspects that Azzarello introduced. Finch already established that the sex-pirates and male Amazon killers were only a fraction of the Amazon race so perhaps DC will reinforce that while putting more focus on more noble Amazons like Hessia, Artemis, Phillpus, IO, etc.

Another(not likely) option would be for DC to reveal that Azzarello & Finchs' runs were actually set on Earth 3 and the character we've been reading about for the last 4+ years is actually Superwoman before she went completely bad and joined the Crime Syndicate.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

BANNED

That's possible but I do think DC is aware of how many people dislike the New 52 Amazons so I could see them either retconning them or downplaying the aspects that Azzarello introduced. Finch already established that the sex-pirates and male Amazon killers were only a fraction of the Amazon race so perhaps DC will reinforce that while putting more focus on more noble Amazons like Hessia, Artemis, Phillpus, IO, etc.

Another(not likely) option would be for DC to reveal that Azzarello & Finchs' runs were actually set on Earth 3 and the character we've been reading about for the last 4+ years is actually Superwoman before she went completely bad and joined the Crime Syndicate.
    better say that this happneed because of flashpoint messing time and space. A JMS oddissey

BANNED

I'd think the baby-pirates would quietly disappear into the night without much fanfare or mention, but I dont think a whole revamp back into Perez's temple-dwellers is in the cards.

That would mean Rebirth is a total reboot in this case, which I seriously doubt, not to mention there's nothing in the current book to actually suggest it's the case.

I love this era of wonder woman.however my hope.s are that jason fabok does the art on the new book.and retain his costume design and color scheme i love the red silver and blue on her i think that artemis or nu'bia would look great in the red blue and gold.

Heh.

Colour me unimpressed.

Pérez's origin story was canon until 2011, but that didn't mean we fans were spared from everything that came after Infinite Crisis. I don't know your stances on the matter, but between the never-delivering 1 Year Later arc, the new useless Diana Prince identity, Amazons Attack!, the wtf!-inducing """"love story"""" with Tom Tresser, Gail Simone's issues after The Circle, JMS's not-really-a-run and whatever happened after that (for the life of me, I cannot remember the plot of those final issues) it's clear that a different background story won't help WW becoming a better title if another hack/uninspired writer takes the helm after Rebirth.

Quote Originally Posted by Powertool View Post
    Heh.

Colour me unimpressed.

Pérez's origin story was canon until 2011, but that didn't mean we fans were spared from everything that came after Infinite Crisis. I don't know your stances on the matter, but between the never-delivering 1 Year Later arc, the new useless Diana Prince identity, Amazons Attack!, the wtf!-inducing """"love story"""" with Tom Tresser, Gail Simone's issues after The Circle, JMS's not-really-a-run and whatever happened after that (for the life of me, I cannot remember the plot of those final issues) it's clear that a different background story won't help WW becoming a better title if another hack/uninspired writer takes the helm after Rebirth.
    I agree that WONDER WOMAN went off the rails big time post IC with the JMS arc being the biggest waste of time and money. If I recall correctly, JMS had a co/ghost writer brought in to finish that mess with Diana waking up in Paradise Island to Hippolyta and that whole ODYSSEY was a dream. Then FLASHPOINT happened...I think?

What was wrong with her being Zeus's daughter?

Quote Originally Posted by Prime View Post
    What was wrong with her being Zeus's daughter?
    The overemphasis of her father over her mother and making it so the only important thing Hippolyta's did was giving birth to one of Zeus' many, many children.

I'd think the baby-pirates would quietly disappear into the night without much fanfare or mention, but I dont think a whole revamp back into Perez's temple-dwellers is in the cards.

That would mean Rebirth is a total reboot in this case, which I seriously doubt, not to mention there's nothing in the current book to actually suggest it's the case.
    from what's being announced it sounds like they are simply going to cherry pick the stuff they think is the best and bring it back to the character. I image we'll see an Amazon society closer to Perez than Azzarello and a Diana, born of clay, who is probably still a goddess of some kind. Probably a more mature Diana as well, possibly even an Amazon who is many thousands of years old, matching what's been said of the cinematic version. I suspect they are going to be looking to streamline the universes a little as BvS, JL and WW movies hit the screen.

They LAUGHED at my theory SteveGus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Largo161 View Post
    Uh, yeah, it would--although there wouldn't be anything magical about it. I've been off the main title since Azzarello's third issue. I would come back and I can't be the only one who would do so.
    I haven't read any DC universe titles at all since Azzarello's seventh issues, being that appalled by the shabby treatment of the character, her supporting cast, and her world.

That said, I wouldn't mind at least some elements of the Azzarello run to stick around. But the barbaric Amazons definitely need to be replaced by something truer to Marston's version. She needs her own supporting cast, not endless intrigue among the gods.

The larger problem remains, in that current DC editorial, and for that matter Warner, doesn't seem to like or understand the character. The same problem is shared by the godawful version of Captain Marvel/Shazam they came up with for the New 52. Both characters need a much lighter tone and a much freer imagination than Didio or Harras know how to give. They seem not to like the sort of stories that put these characters to best use. I don't see these characters really having air to breathe until they're taken out of Didio's hands.
    "At what point do we say, 'You're mucking with our myths'?" - Harlan Ellison

Still only crumbs...... BiteTheBullet's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Darius View Post
    from what's being announced it sounds like they are simply going to cherry pick the stuff they think is the best and bring it back to the character. I image we'll see an Amazon society closer to Perez than Azzarello and a Diana, born of clay, who is probably still a goddess of some kind. Probably a more mature Diana as well, possibly even an Amazon who is many thousands of years old, matching what's been said of the cinematic version. I suspect they are going to be looking to streamline the universes a little as BvS, JL and WW movies hit the screen.
    If this happens, and then a future writer says it was a lie, ala Azz, then the point would be moot again about her birth. They need to set the parameters of her birth in stone and let that be a building block that future writers build upon.

Quote Originally Posted by BiteTheBullet View Post
    If this happens, and then a future writer says it was a lie, ala Azz, then the point would be moot again about her birth. They need to set the parameters of her birth in stone and let that be a building block that future writers build upon.
    Maybe, but it's comics, audiences are used to retcons and rebirths (or unbirths as the case may be). Personally I have never much cared which birth they chose, her story and the society from which she came always meant more to me. If I were to pick one thing I hope they revert back to it would be giving the Amazons their dignity back. I can live with Perez version, but I would LOVE for a Marston revival on that front.

Still only crumbs...... BiteTheBullet's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Darius View Post
    Maybe, but it's comics, audiences are used to retcons and rebirths (or unbirths as the case may be). Personally I have never much cared which birth they chose, her story and the society from which she came always meant more to me. If I were to pick one thing I hope they revert back to it would be giving the Amazons their dignity back. I can live with Perez version, but I would LOVE for a Marston revival on that front.
    I believe a character like Wonder Woman, supposedly the most iconic superheroine in comics today, needs an origin that sticks very closely to the basics. You don't see writers for Superman doing an about face and say that instead of being born on Krypton, he is a mutant, or a long lost descendant of a god or something to that effect. He is from Krypton, period.

I don't want to read a Wonder Woman that has an ever changing origin just because the writer can't figure out how to write the story with the original origin intact. I want to know she has a stable background in terms of an origin as well as being able to count upon knowing what her superpowers are. In the comics she can fly, but for whatever reason she cannot in the movie verse.