Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Default Go West! Avengers West Coast Appreciation

http://images.wikia.com/marveldataba...rs_Vol_1_1.jpg
    The first spin off team, and IMHO, still the best. It managed to have a different flavor while, at the same time, always feeling like an Avengers book, many times managing to be even better and more relevant than the main book. A team that certainly deserves a lot of appreciation. Let's show our Whackos some love!

Peace
    Last edited by Nomads1; 05-01-2014 at 08:43 AM.

I used to like the book. It had a much more "family" vibe to it than the main Avengers book, and I never felt one hero took the spotlight at another's expense, which is something that happens a lot these days.

I came to this series late in its run, but quickly found all the back issues. Although I know Brevoort says there is no need for a "west coast" team of Avengers, I think that they could certainly use the familiarity of that team. I did particularly like the end line-up quite a bit, even if it didn't quite translate through to Force Works.

Quote Originally Posted by baltiroo View Post
    I came to this series late in its run, but quickly found all the back issues. Although I know Brevoort says there is no need for a "west coast" team of Avengers, I think that they could certainly use the familiarity of that team. I did particularly like the end line-up quite a bit, even if it didn't quite translate through to Force Works.
    I can just see him in the meeting with the Marvel brass saying "there is no need for a West Coast Avengers. It's like having a New Avengers team, um I meant a Secret Avengers team, er I meant an Uncanny Avengers team, oh I meant a Young Avengers team doh!" I say why not, you have every other Avengers team assembled.

This was a great team and a great book. As stated earlier the team really felt like it was closer team then the other Avenger team at the time it came out. Every member got to shine and contribute. Just really well handled.
    "We live in a world of cowards. We live in a world full of small minds who are afraid. We are ruled by those who refuse to risk anything of their own. Who guard their over bloated paucities of power with money. With false reasoning. With measured hesitance. With prideful, recalcitrant inaction. With hateful invective. With weapons. F@#K these selfish fools and their prevailing world order." Tony Stark

this was one of my favorites(still is)!

I had a blast with the two omnibuses released last year. Fingers crossed for a third volume!

One of my favourite titles ever! It felt more like the Avengers than the main title did at the time. I loved it all the way through!

I can understand what Brevoort is saying that there is no need for a West Coast team though. The Avengers have moved beyond just protecting one coast or the other... they are a global force now, and having a team that is dedicated to one coast of one country would be a step back. What I do think they should do is split up the team into smaller squads stationed all over the planet, not just one big one in NYC, another smaller one in NYC (with half the same characters), and another small (unaffiliated) one in... NYC (that's not even counting New, AI, Young, Undercover or Secret). Multiple books, multiple teams (no overlapping members), multiple places across the planet.

http://www.comics101.com/comics101//...2/wca23.jpg&w=

seems like any image i want to put on here is too large

Some runs were much better than others, to be kind, but I will always love the Byrne run, personally. And I agree, this team had a different vibe going. I wasn't a big fan of the East Coast team at that time, so these guys filled the looser, offbeat slot quite nicely.

Doubt we'll ever seen a comeback, though. There's what, 50 Avengers books out there already? LOL

Quote Originally Posted by elect1cgoblin View Post
    Some runs were much better than others, to be kind, but I will always love the Byrne run, personally. And I agree, this team had a different vibe going. I wasn't a big fan of the East Coast team at that time, so these guys filled the looser, offbeat slot quite nicely.

Doubt we'll ever seen a comeback, though. There's what, 50 Avengers books out there already? LOL
    My first run at following a comic was AWC (I loved vision and witch) I jumped on for the tail end of the Phantom Rider time travel arc, then the Night Shift arc and then the Byrne stuff...so classic. Im pretty sure i followed the run to the end, but i dont remember the last few issues.

Quote Originally Posted by THANOSRULES View Post
    My first run at following a comic was AWC (I loved vision and witch) I jumped on for the tail end of the Phantom Rider time travel arc, then the Night Shift arc and then the Byrne stuff...so classic. Im pretty sure i followed the run to the end, but i dont remember the last few issues.
    One thing that I remember about the end of the run that was quite unusual was that they had a double sized 100th issue and then a double sized 102nd, and final, issue. If I'm not mistaken, wasn't that the one where ****SPOILER*****

they killed off Bobby?

For me, what made those early issues of WCA work was that each member had something to prove. Hawkeye wanted to show that he could be a great leader and dealing with the fallout of a team created by the Vision when he was insane. Tigra was dealing with identity issues. Wonder Man was suffering in confidence and trying to deal with his own mortality. Iron Man was returning after a long struggle with alcohol.

I think this is a big part of the family feel of the book; a group of heroes all in similar circumstances all looking to prove themselves.

Astonishing Member FanboyStranger's Avatar

I've long said that Lost in Space-Time is the forgotten Avengers epic. Under Siege, Korvac Saga, and Kree-Skrull War get referenced all the time, but the Whackos get no respect.

Still, that was such a brilliant time to be reading The Avengers-- Stern and Buscema/Palmer killing it on the main title, and Englehart killing it on WCA. (Yes, I like the Milgrom/Sinnott combo.) And then that crossover in the annuals featuring the Grandmaster. This was the Golden Age for the Avengers!

BANNED