Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by dupersuper View Post

Issue #102 was one of my favorites. I reread it a couple of nights ago.
    "We live in a world of cowards. We live in a world full of small minds who are afraid. We are ruled by those who refuse to risk anything of their own. Who guard their over bloated paucities of power with money. With false reasoning. With measured hesitance. With prideful, recalcitrant inaction. With hateful invective. With weapons. F@#K these selfish fools and their prevailing world order." Tony Stark

Quote Originally Posted by Sherlock Holmes View Post
    Yeah, I recall thinking how harsh the dismantling of the team was. I was actually rooting for Force Works and hoping they'd to a degree show up the original team just to prove themselves. Very few comics in that era elicited the strong emotional response that this book had for me.

Yeah, the impact of the dissolution of the WCA was quite impressive, and kudos to DnA for pulling it off, however, even if it was kind of already being set up for quite a while (the constant destruction of the Palos Verde compound, and the team's faliure to rebiuild it properly, the almost epidemic loss of Quinjets, the weakening of the team, with its most powerful members Iron Man, Living Lightning and Wonder Man leaving and the remaining team being Iron Man replacement War Machine, powerful, but vulnerable and unpredictable Scarlet Witch, slighty strong, but not exactly brick material Spider-Woman and US Agent, and costumed athletes with gimmicks Hawkeye and Mockingbird, the later dead by WCA #102 and the former AWOL, etc...), I still felt that the dissolution was kind of an editorial mandated thing that really left out solid story possibilities.
    I mean, Hawkeye had just lost the love of his life, knowing him, isn't anyone surprised that he'd let the team he founded, probably the last thing he had to live for, be railroaded like it was, going down without a fighting chance? I'd have to say that I was. I could totally have seen Hawk show up at the mansion and put Cap and Natasha's backs against the wall, demanding a chance to put the team back together. There were still plenty of members around that he could call in to form the team (Wasp was then working on the west coast and could have been convinced to give the team some east coast credibility as his second in command, War Machine would not have missed the chance to show up Tony in his own team, plus Rhodey was a former founder of the WCA, Tigra was another founder that could have been convinced to come back, She-Hulk was originally a Los Angelino and always had a strange connection with Hawk, plus not much was being done with her at the time, Black Bill Foster Goliath could have been persuaded to add not only his muscle, but his scientific expertise to the team, and so on...). Don't get me wrong, I'm probably one of the few Force Works fans in these forums, but I really didn't feel like the giving up on the WCA rang true for some the characters.

Peace

Yep. I never thought I would be rooting for US Agent, but I was hoping he'd put his fist through Cap's nose in that issue. I've never really been a huge Cap fan (mostly because I'm an Aussie), but after this issue I REALLY couldn't stand him. Its not like the East Coasters had any more right to exist than the West Coasters. After all there were already a stack of other heroes in New York.

Iron Man was worse though. His vote could have saved the team but he voted to set up Force Works which was just a crappy comic with the worst cover enhancement (issue #1) in comics history. For those who missed out on that 'gem' it was a fold out cover, like a pop-up book, but it was so complex you couldn't fold the thing back in afterwards, and you couldn't unfold it without tearing a flap that was glued to the front cover. Hideous.

Astonishing Member FanboyStranger's Avatar

I thought the first year of Force Works was kinda a mess with some terrible art, but it started pulling itself together in its second year when Jimmy Cheung came on as artist. Unfortunately, it ran face first into The Crossing, and while the FW issues were certainly the best part of that crossover, that's nothing to brag about.

Quote Originally Posted by FanboyStranger View Post
    I thought the first year of Force Works was kinda a mess with some terrible art, but it started pulling itself together in its second year when Jimmy Cheung came on as artist. Unfortunately, it ran face first into The Crossing, and while the FW issues were certainly the best part of that crossover, that's nothing to brag about.
    I REALLY wanted to like Force Works following the cancellation of West Coast Avengers. But I just couldn't get into it. The writing was so-so and the art was sort of inconsistant.

Also, the death of Wonder Man in the very first issue pretty much had me with one foot out the door right from the start.

That was a great comic. It was a very underrated issue.

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    I REALLY wanted to like Force Works following the cancellation of West Coast Avengers. But I just couldn't get into it. The writing was so-so and the art was sort of inconsistant.

Also, the death of Wonder Man in the very first issue pretty much had me with one foot out the door right from the start.
    The first problem was the absence of Hawkeye. The second was the death of Wonder Man. That was a bad start.

Quote Originally Posted by NinjaSmurf View Post
    Yep. I never thought I would be rooting for US Agent, but I was hoping he'd put his fist through Cap's nose in that issue. I've never really been a huge Cap fan (mostly because I'm an Aussie), but after this issue I REALLY couldn't stand him. Its not like the East Coasters had any more right to exist than the West Coasters. After all there were already a stack of other heroes in New York.

Iron Man was worse though. His vote could have saved the team but he voted to set up Force Works which was just a crappy comic with the worst cover enhancement (issue #1) in comics history. For those who missed out on that 'gem' it was a fold out cover, like a pop-up book, but it was so complex you couldn't fold the thing back in afterwards, and you couldn't unfold it without tearing a flap that was glued to the front cover. Hideous.
    Oh, good, I wasn't the only one!

Peace

Quote Originally Posted by Witchfan View Post
    The first problem was the absence of Hawkeye. The second was the death of Wonder Man. That was a bad start.
    Which was kinda weird since they put Hawkeye in the Iron Man cartoon, which was essentially Force Works.

I've always kept a soft spot in my heart for the West Coast Avengers team. Hawkeye, Iron Man and the Scarlet Witch are my favorite Avengers, so it seems a no-brainer that I'd gravitate towards the title. I have almost the complete run of the series, just missing some of the final issues of the run. Everything from the original limited series, to the crossover annuals with The Avengers, to the "Lost in Space-Time" story, to the John Byrne run, the final issue, classic stuff.

Now I want to re-read the series...

Mighty Member McFarlane's Green Hulk's Avatar

I think the first mini-series and up until Byrne left were pretty solid. A few rough spots, but overall, very enjoyable.

And for all the Wonder Man fugly costume talk -- VOILA!

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nomads1 View Post
    Don't get me wrong, I'm probably one of the few Force Works fans in these forums, but I really didn't feel like the giving up on the WCA rang true for some the characters.
    *Raises hand* There's at least two of us!

Quote Originally Posted by NinjaSmurf View Post
    For those who missed out on that 'gem' it was a fold out cover, like a pop-up book, but it was so complex you couldn't fold the thing back in afterwards, and you couldn't unfold it without tearing a flap that was glued to the front cover. Hideous.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nomads1 View Post
    Oh, good, I wasn't the only one!
    I was traumatized after I practically destroyed my copy messing with that cover. Luckily I'm patient, and I was eventually able to afford another MINT condition copy!
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post

Yeah, the art and Wonder Man's death sent me packing after issue #1. I have gone back and gotten the whole series... and it's not so bad. Though it's inclusion in the Crossing is not a good thing... that crossover was just a mess.

How long did Henry Pym stay "Dr. Pym, Scientific Adventurer"?