Super Moderator

Default Fox Would 'Love to Do More' "X-Files"

You can call it a comeback: Though nothing is yet official, Fox is "over the moon" with the "X-Files" revival and up for more.

Full article here.

If you can call a 48% drop in ratings from episode one to episode two, and a 17% drop the next episode, and a 4% drop the next episode, and a 16% drop the last episode a success.
    When another show not to be named had a 30% drop from episode one to episode two people were calling that a disaster.

Astonishing Member PretenderNX01's Avatar

All that matters is the demo rating and that's held steady. Also bear in mind, this time last year Fox just had Gotham reruns on.

As for the first drop, the premiere was always going to be inflated going after a big football game. It's still in the top 5 broadcast shows of the week in the 18-49 demo and top 20 of overall viewers (higher than Supergirl, if that's who you are referring to although she's holding steady these days).

Quote Originally Posted by PretenderNX01 View Post
    All that matters is the demo rating and that's held steady. Also bear in mind, this time last year Fox just had Gotham reruns on.

As for the first drop, the premiere was always going to be inflated going after a big football game. It's still in the top 5 broadcast shows of the week in the 18-49 demo and top 20 of overall viewers (higher than Supergirl, if that's who you are referring to although she's holding steady these days).
    Actually the numbers I gave were from the 18-49 demo. And those have dropped double digits every week but one. But the total viewer numbers have also dropped at about the same rate.
    I have no forks in the fire. Just an interesting observation for a show Fox deems a success. Will see how it does Monday. It will be X-Files's last episode, with Gotham back the 29th. If it doesn't
    drop too much then maybe they are right.

I have enjoyed it so far (5/6 eps) and would love it if we had more X-Files or even a spin off with spoilers:
    Robbie Amell and Lauren Ambrose
    end of spoilers.

Quote Originally Posted by Choos View Post
    I have enjoyed it so far (5/6 eps) and would love it if we had more X-Files or even a spin off with spoilers:
    Robbie Amell and Lauren Ambrose
    end of spoilers.
    That's what I thought they were setting up with that episode.

So episode 6 was a bit of a wash out... I get it was supposed to be a cliff hanger but it seemed a rush job with a convenient plot hook and a completely unsatisfying ending.

If they had of finished it with episode 5 it would have been great and then maybe a new season for the story of episode 6 with a finish.

Quote Originally Posted by Choos View Post
    So episode 6 was a bit of a wash out... I get it was supposed to be a cliff hanger but it seemed a rush job with a convenient plot hook and a completely unsatisfying ending.

If they had of finished it with episode 5 it would have been great and then maybe a new season for the story of episode 6 with a finish.
    Sadly I have to agree with you on the 6th episode feeling way too rushed and the cliff hanger just felt annoying even though I knew it was going to end that way.

But I can't agree with you about episode 5 being a great point to end the season. I mean, did you even see that episode?! It was even worse than episode 6! Way worse in fact! It was just an old and overused "OMG! We gotta stop these Muslim terrorists before it's too late!" plot! It was so cliched I actually kept waiting for them to do some kind of twist at the end but there was no twist, just a straight forward Muslim terrorist plot... I actually saw someone calling it the worst X-Files episode ever and I'm sad to say but I might have to agree with them. It certainly is up there when it comes to awful episodes! It was so bad it made the last episode look much better in comparison!

Astonishing Member PretenderNX01's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Osiris-Rex View Post
    If it doesn't drop too much then maybe they are right.
    By now you may know ratings were up for the finale.

Again it's more a matter of where the show stands in comparison to everything else and the mini was in the Top 10 for broadcast shows the whole time.
    http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/201...eb-15-21-2016/
    It also streams well and Fox used streaming/on-demand as their reason for renewing the lowly rated Scream Queens.

It was the top scripted show of the night and tied for No. 1 overall with “The Bachelor.”
    http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/201...y-feb-22-2016/

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Osiris-Rex View Post
    If you can call a 48% drop in ratings from episode one to episode two, and a 17% drop the next episode, and a 4% drop the next episode, and a 16% drop the last episode a success.
    When another show not to be named had a 30% drop from episode one to episode two people were calling that a disaster.
    If fox wasn't happy with the ratings, I don't see why they would lie about it...