Page 17 of 58 FirstFirst ... 713141516171819202127 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    ...how do you know there isn't a demand for Circe?
    I greatly appreciate those insightful comments. I read my post again and found that it was all over the place, ..way over the crazytown border! I rewrote my entire post, because of what you shared, above.

Thank you, for that, Agent Z.
    Last edited by Mel Dyer; 02-17-2017 at 09:50 AM.
    COMBINING THE BIGBADITUDE OF THANOS WITH CHEETAH'S FEROCITY, IS JANUS WONDER WOMAN'S GREATEST SUPERVILLAIN?...on WONDABUNGA!!! Look alive, Kangaliers!

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Poison View Post
    But there have been times when Wonder Woman has been overshadowed by the public domain characters like in Azzarello's run on the title. In several issues, she appeared on less pages than the Olympians did. None of her original rogues gallery(with the exceptions of Azzarello's pet creations Cassandra and the First Born) appeared in the book for over 3 years until the Finchs revamped Aegeus(to horrible affect I might add). Thankfully, Rucka is currently working with Cheetah, Dr. Poison, Veronica Cale, and Dr. Cyber with Dr. Psycho coming down the pike,
    Azzarello is all flash and shlock and less actual depth. His failures with concepts and characters cannot determine their strengths and weaknesses otherwise someone having to sit through The Killing Joke animated movie will have to come up with the conclusion that Barbara Gordon is an atrocious character. I still doubt he really cared about Diana hence her marginalization in her own book. Just because he messed it up doesn't mean a better writer cannot fare better. There have been many writers who have utilized the original villains to end up with less than desirable results too.

And as you said, Rucka has been concentrating on the original villains so why can't Circe get to shine too?

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Dyer View Post
    I agree. Jessica Walters (Gloria Marquez) would have made a perfect Doctor Cyber.
    Thanks Mel Dyer and Nyssane... I've always felt like Gloria was such a wonderful villainess, and as you'll see in issue #3, it's very clear why she became Dr. Cyber. I also wanted to link the world of the comics into the world of the TV show in an organic, original way. Should I get to write WOnder Woman '77 again, I have another villain in mind for another Wonder Woman character... but for now...

Enjoy WONDER WOMAN '77 MEETS THE BIONIC WOMAN. As noted, not only is Gloria now Dr. Cyber, but her partner in crime, Solano is back, as well as Orlach Hoffman (the toymaker), and Captain Radl (the Nazi who invaded Paradise Island)!

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Confuzzled View Post
    Azzarello is all flash and shlock and less actual depth. His failures with concepts and characters cannot determine their strengths and weaknesses otherwise someone having to sit through The Killing Joke animated movie will have to come up with the conclusion that Barbara Gordon is an atrocious character. I still doubt he really cared about Diana hence her marginalization in her own book. Just because he messed it up doesn't mean a better writer cannot fare better. There have been many writers who have utilized the original villains to end up with less than desirable results too.

And as you said, Rucka has been concentrating on the original villains so why can't Circe get to shine too?

I don't mind if Circe appears occasionally but to have her alongside the likes of Lex and Das as the 3rd part of the Dark Trinity is basically spitting in the face of Diana's original rogues IMO. It should be Cheetah, Queen Clea, or maybe even the Queen of Fables in this group.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Poison View Post
    But there have been times when Wonder Woman has been overshadowed by the public domain characters like in Azzarello's run on the title. In several issues, she appeared on less pages than the Olympians did. None of her original rogues gallery(with the exceptions of Azzarello's pet creations Cassandra and the First Born) appeared in the book for over 3 years until the Finchs revamped Aegeus(to horrible affect I might add). Thankfully, Rucka is currently working with Cheetah, Dr. Poison, Veronica Cale, and Dr. Cyber with Dr. Psycho coming down the pike,
    Not nitpicking here, Dr. Poison, but DC's version of Circe is a fully, legally copyrighted and trademarked intellectual property. As a fictional character, she is inspired by or loosely based on the Circe of classical myth, who is a public domain character that any interested party can base an original character on - a little different.

All that aside, I share your frustration.

It's irritating that the more original characters, which you and I have named in several, spirited posts, aren't utilized more, by writers. Furthermore, I'm irritated that WW editors haven't encouraged their use. Considering the commercial failure of WOGs and other Circe-centered projects, I see no reason editors wouldn't be justified in enacting a moratorium on Circe stories, while pushing these other characters, for a little while. Circe, in spite of what we might have hoped, hasn't delivered as a classic arch-nemesis. Neither has Cheetah, for that matter, ..but, what good are the others, if nobody, outside of WW's fanbase, ever sees them?

I'm tired of hearing how lame WW's rogues gallery is, when almost all of the big stories are using the same super-villain. Somewhere among the super-villains that we've been chatting up, here, is a dynamic match for Wonder Woman - a natural and organic arch-nemesis...

Just don't think it's Circe.
    COMBINING THE BIGBADITUDE OF THANOS WITH CHEETAH'S FEROCITY, IS JANUS WONDER WOMAN'S GREATEST SUPERVILLAIN?...on WONDABUNGA!!! Look alive, Kangaliers!

I enjoy Circe as a villain so I'm good .

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I enjoy Circe as a villain so I'm good .
    I enjoy Circe, as a villain, too, and the New 52's cool, del Toroesque revision of Circe made me a returning fan. However, ..it looks like someone didn't appreciate that, and cupcake-hair, Joker-ripoff, disco genie Circe is back. So-ooo,...guess it's buhbyzh, again.

Still glad to hear that Cyber, Poison, Cale and the others are getting a little attention.

BANNED

I have no clue how using Ares and Circe is a valid criticism when Loki.....I think this argument makes itself. Your move.

Quote Originally Posted by LordTrump View Post
    I have no clue how using Ares and Circe is a valid criticism when Loki.....I think this argument makes itself. Your move.
    Loki and Circe are two different beasts, amigo. I think one writer after another trying to shoe-horn her into a Lokiesque Joker-goddess super-villain is what's made the post-Crisis Circe so unreadable, over the last thirty years. WW writers have turned her into Wonder Woman's answer to Mister Mxyzptlk or some hyperactive parody of I Dream Of Jeannie! Furthermore, Circe should be way creepier, freakier and more sublime, than any Marvel scribe could ever make Loki.

I'm really sorry that the New 52 version will not be given a chance - very wasteful. And yes, I suppose that I'm a little sick of Ares, too...but, nowhere near as sick, as I am of ole Cupcake-head.
    Last edited by Mel Dyer; 02-18-2017 at 09:52 AM.

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

Loki and Circe are two different beasts, amigo. I think one writer after another trying to shoe-horn her into a Lokiesque Joker-goddess super-villain is what's made the post-Crisis Circe so unreadable, over the last thirty years. WW writers have turned her into Wonder Woman's answer to Mister Mxyzptlk or some hyperactive parody of I Dream Of Jeannie! Furthermore, Circe should be way creepier, freakier and more sublime, than any Marvel scribe could ever make Loki.

I'm really sorry that the New 52 version will not be given a chance - very wasteful. And yes, I suppose that I'm a little sick of Ares, too...but, nowhere near as sick, as I am of ole Cupcake-head.

I never thought of Circe as Wonder Woman's answer to Mr. Mxyzptlk but now that you say it, it makes a lot of sense.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

You didn't explain how Circe and Loki are different beasts

I enjoy Circe, as a villain, too, and the New 52's cool, del Toroesque revision of Circe made me a returning fan. However, ..it looks like someone didn't appreciate that, and cupcake-hair, Joker-ripoff, disco genie Circe is back. So-ooo,...guess it's buhbyzh, again.
    To be fair, this is how Circe has traditionally been depicted as vs. New 52's more conventional depiction of a witch

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    You didn't explain how Circe and Loki are different beasts
    Yeah, I want a proper elaboration of that statement too. Especially seeing how Loki has far eclipsed all the original villains introduced in the MCU until now.

Aegeus is mentioned in the solicit for Justice League of America #6:

“MYTHIC” part two! Aegeus’s mythic horde continues to steamroll over the battered landscape of Penn City, and the only thing standing in their path is…the Atom?? Also: Lobo is laid out, his healing factor neutralized, and the only thing that could possibly save him requires a level of violence that we may not be allowed to print!

Ares and Strife are in DC Super Hero Girls Vol. 3: Summer Olympus:

School’s out for summer, which means Wonder Woman is preparing for her annual trip to visit her father, Zeus—and this year, he says she can bring along a few friends, including Bumblebee, Batgirl, Beast Boy and Katana! When they arrive at Olympus, it’s not long before distrustful Ares turns this family reunion into a family competition—and the prize is Wonder Woman’s soul! But when Ares and Strife join forces to work their battle magic on Wonder Woman’s friends, will the girls end up fighting each other instead of the real enemy?

Huh, I'm surprised DC Super Hero Girls is going with the "daughter of Zeus" aspect. I don't think they've mentioned the clay origin at all, but still surprising.

Curious to see what Ares and Strife look like.