Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    BANNED

Default What Music They Make - Vlad Dracula Appreciation

I'm not good at these "Appreciation Thread" things, but basically I just found out there's a 616 Dracula and I wanted to create a place to discuss him. I'll fill in the gaps later.

Dracula first appeared in the Eponymous Bram Stoker novel where he tried to create a vampire den in London (insert Doctor Who joke here). He is considered by some to be the archetypal vampire (and, if you want tonget technical, werewolf).

A quick skim of his Marvel Wiki entry reveals that he's seperately fought Silver Surfer and Thor to a standstill, tried to marry Storm, and has occasionally crossed paths with the X-Men and Fantastic Four.

Astonishing Member Lady Warp Spasm's Avatar

I have one 70s Marvel reprint (Dracula Lives #2) with the origin story drawn by Neal Adams. It's one of the best rethinks of Dracula in comics and here it is.

Hands down my favorite Neal Adams art.
    archer * magician *soldier * spy

There is a compilation available that contains the complete run of Tomb of Dracula by Marv Wolfman and Gene Colan.

It includes the essential tie-ins with Werewolf by Night, Giant Size Chillers and also the Day of Blood, Night of Redemption (4 part) specials.
    Last edited by bluearcher180; 06-22-2014 at 12:29 PM.

His seduction of Storm in X-men #159 has my favorite panel of Ororo, ever! Bottom left hand corner. It still stands, all these years later as one of my favorite comics panels, and certainly the finest image of Storm ever produced:

Freedom is the ability to live without fear of persecution.

I never quite understood Marvel's Dracula.
    Is the classic style Dracula that appeared in MI:13 the same character as the white haired high fantasy Dracula from Curse of the mutants?
    If so... What gives?

Quote Originally Posted by NexusTenebrare View Post
    Is the classic style Dracula that appeared in MI:13 the same character as the white haired high fantasy Dracula from Curse of the mutants?
    If so... What gives?
    Dracula has no corporeal form. It's different with each manifestation.

This is actually perfectly in line with Stoker's original novel where Harker marvels at the Count's transformation upon his arrival in London.
    Last edited by klinton; 06-22-2014 at 02:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by klinton View Post
    Dracula has no corporeal form. It's different with each manifestation.
    That sounds like an "a wizard did it" type of explanation.

Sorry, I had edited (too late, I guess) to clarify:

Quote Originally Posted by klinton View Post
    This is actually perfectly in line with Stoker's original novel where Harker marvels at the Count's transformation upon his arrival in London.

BANNED

He's also died and come back to life multiple times.

It is a rationalization to explain a purely artistic decision, sure. But as those go, it's a pretty good one.

Fantastic Member

He's currently been fighting Deadpool (Who married the queen of the monsters, who was going to marry Dracula due to trickery - long story) in his ongoing, he made his initial appearance in the Deadpool infinite comic that explains most of the back story to this arc but I'm pretty sure he's been in the comic too.
    He's basically been sending huge armies of Vampires after Deadpool. In response, DP went back in time, got Dazzler from the '70s and is basically blasting them with with Disco lights... It's working better than anything Blade's ever done.

BANNED

Sounds like Deadpool.

Tomb of Dracula was one of my favorite comics as a kid. i loved all the Marvel Horror stuff.

Astonishing Member Lady Warp Spasm's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by VJ. View Post
    He's currently been fighting Deadpool (Who married the queen of the monsters, who was going to marry Dracula due to trickery - long story) in his ongoing, he made his initial appearance in the Deadpool infinite comic that explains most of the back story to this arc but I'm pretty sure he's been in the comic too.
    He's basically been sending huge armies of Vampires after Deadpool. In response, DP went back in time, got Dazzler from the '70s and is basically blasting them with with Disco lights... It's working better than anything Blade's ever done.
    Oh dear. No wonder why Dazzler looks the way she does now...
    archer * magician *soldier * spy

BANNED

If so... What gives?
    You can blame it on Victor Gischler. Marvel choose to give that hack a platform to do what he liked and he just ignore years of marvel continuity to write whatever vampire fiction he had on his mind and Dracula became this white hair freak.