Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Rebirth BIRDS OF PREY speculation

I think there are two ways the new Rebirth Batgirl and the Birds of Prey could go:

1) Back to the traditional lineup of Batgirl, Black Canary and Huntress (plus one or two others). This is supported by John's statements yesterday mentioning them when talking about what made the original book work and with their images together in the announcement video. Also, DC has just recently released a new trade with the original Dixon stories and is following up with a second volume next week.

2) New "fresher" lineup of Batgirl, Black Canary, Frankie, Steph and Harper as shown on the cover of Batgirl #50.

I would, of course, prefer the original three. It worked so well and if it ain't broke, don't fix it. (But break it they continuously did by adding too many supporting members after Dinah left in the first run, adding lesser known characters in the second run, and I can't even figure out how they went so wrong with the New52, oy!)

But I have a feeling they'll go with the latter. I'm not currently reading Batgirl so I don't know how aggressively they're setting this up. But that cover just seems to predict it.

Of course whichever way they go I'll pick it up as long as Dinah's in it. Just curious to see how "legacy" the whole Rebirth initiative goes.
    Favorites: Natasha Romanova, Dinah Lance, Janet Van Dyne, Selina Kyle, Emma Frost, Kitty Pryde, Kate Bishop, Sharon Carter, Sue Storm Richards, Carol Danvers

I suspect it'll be the latter. It's what the writing team has been building towards. Putting the current versions of Barbara, Dinah, and Helena in a team together wouldn't work, as their dynamics and rapport with one another have been drastically changed from their pre-Flashpoint versions.

BANNED

Since this is the 'meat and potatoes' era, or rumored to be, I expect it to be very close to the classical line-up. But that said, I really wish it would branch out to include new members as well... though I have to say I dont see the point of adding Frankie, Steph or Harper since they do the exact same thing as Barbara does now... only worse.

All-New Member

I really hope it is back to the strong core 3/4 (I miss Zinda so much) with rotating additions frequently. One of my favorite aspects of the original BOP run was always seeing which DC lady was going to pop up next.

I think the latter minus Frankie (who I think will stay a supporting character in Batgirl) and adding Cass.
    Current Pull: Lazarus, The Realm, Seven to Eternity, Aquaman, Flash, Justice League Dark, Justice League Odyssey, Sideways, Black Panther, Captain America, Daredevil, Death of the Inhumans.

Future Pull: Killmonger.

Since Grayson is coming to an end hopefully Helena Bertanelli finds a home in this book. I like her much better than Helena Wayne.

And people who are upset about the title "Batgirl and the Birds of Prey" should understand that having Bat in the title will give this book a much better chance of succeeding.
    Last edited by Robotman; 02-19-2016 at 01:57 PM.

Why even bother having a Birds of Prey book. They'll never recapture what they had pre-nu52. Not without Oracle.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcat2576 View Post
    I really hope it is back to the strong core 3/4 (I miss Zinda so much) with rotating additions frequently. One of my favorite aspects of the original BOP run was always seeing which DC lady was going to pop up next.
    Oh I would LOVE to see Zinda back. She's one of my favorite DC characters. (just afraid that no one else will get her voice like Simone did)
    Favorites: Natasha Romanova, Dinah Lance, Janet Van Dyne, Selina Kyle, Emma Frost, Kitty Pryde, Kate Bishop, Sharon Carter, Sue Storm Richards, Carol Danvers

BANNED

Probably Batgirl and Canary, not sure what Huntress has been up to. I think the new 3 will play some role too. I've said a few times now, I hope this is the book the Batgirl creative team jumps to.

BANNED

I will never accept the name 'Batgirl and the Birds of Prey'

They might as well call it Batgirl and her bi*ches. And as I said countless times before, keep Harper, Cass and whoever away from the Birds of Prey. No, there is nothing 'fresh' about it. Dinah, Hel, Babs along with 2 other members should be on the team. The new kids need somewhere to go? Find another place for them. It's bad enough that I had to deal with "generic white girl" as Batgirl again (Long live Cain!) but don't ruin Birds of Prey too.

I was thinking, one character that might be interesting. Supergirl. Powergirl was in Birds of Prey in the initial run many years ago. But you'd have Black Canary, Batgirl, Supergirl.
    I think restorative nostalgia is the number one issue with comic book fans.
    A fine distinction between two types of Nostalgia:

Reflective Nostalgia allows us to savor our memories but accepts that they are in the past
    Restorative Nostalgia pushes back against the here and now, keeping us stuck trying to relive our glory days.

Quote Originally Posted by LordMikel View Post
    I was thinking, one character that might be interesting. Supergirl. Powergirl was in Birds of Prey in the initial run many years ago. But you'd have Black Canary, Batgirl, Supergirl.
    How would that be handled though? Supergirl would stick out since she is vastly more powerful then the rest of the cast which simply leads to story problems and restrictions. You can't have the team fight any random thugs or anything like that anymore when one cast member could wreck them in a second without breaking a sweat.
    "This is me being reasonable"

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by joybeans View Post
    I suspect it'll be the latter. It's what the writing team has been building towards. Putting the current versions of Barbara, Dinah, and Helena in a team together wouldn't work, as their dynamics and rapport with one another have been drastically changed from their pre-Flashpoint versions.
    I feel like they'd all bounce off each other really well, actually. You have quirky Babs, super spy Helena, and sexy punk rock Dinah. They'd be a lot of fun all in the same room. Just add Bluebird, or somebody.

The new Birds of Prey actually sounds pretty damn punk, rad.

Quote Originally Posted by joybeans View Post
    Exactly. Remember how pre-52, Dinah and Babs became friends from a distance before they even met in person? Well, now they're long time friends as superheroes. Remember how Helena was all angry and violent and driven by daddy issues? Well this Helena seems well-adjusted and far more experienced, and she doesn't have a past with Babs or Dinah.

And furthermore, they'll never recapture the exact feeling of the original BoP because a massive part of that book was Oracle. The original 'hook' of the series was the rehabilitation of a former superhero who fought crime via her proxy agents. Without Oracle that format doesn't work.

So what would be the point of putting these three together except to remind readers of old books they used to read? I'd much rather read a story that flows naturally out of the characters' storylines that are currently running.

I prefer Birds of Prey to have no super powers. Batwoman and Catwoman have lost their solo titles so they can be put to good use in Birds of Prey.