Spectacular Member Holland Oates's Avatar

Cyclops
    Jean
    Wolverine
    Storm
    Colossus
    Nightcrawler

Quote Originally Posted by Wiccan View Post
    Seeing this thread kinda confirms what I always thought, that the 4 more important/fundamental X-Men are Cyclops, Wolverine, Jean and Storm
    Yep! The Core Four!

That's what makes it fun! Ricochet Rita's Avatar

Only six...that's hard. I'd go for:

- Storm
    - Nightcrawler
    - Rogue
    - Shadowcat
    - Wolverine
    - Colossus

Basically the early 80's roster. I don't need the O5 at all --it would be very nice, though, that they could be mentioned as something from the past, it's not necessary that they appear or have a role in the movie to be somehow part of the plot (photographs are a classical resource).

Incredible Member

Psylocke
    Ice-Man
    Gambit
    Rogue
    Colossus
    Blink

Astonishing Member

What I have said before was that if I rebooted the X-Men movies, I would pull an X-Men: Evolution and have a sort of all-star cast but as students. It would be more of a true ensemble with a focus on how the characters play off each other and there wouldn't be a whole lot of teachers or students in the background, thus making mutants seem like more of a rare and elusive thing (it is the beginning, after all). The villain would also likely be something along the lines of the Sentinel program. Not sure if Master Mold would be involved. Interestingly, most of my cast seems to be showing up in X-Men: Apocalypse . . .

Cyclops (age 16)
    Marvel Girl (age 16)
    Wolverine (seemingly age 18)
    Nightcrawler (age 15)
    Storm (age 16)
    Jubilee (age 13)

I would have also had John Proudstar aka Thunderbird (age 17) in there as well, but he'd give his life to save everyone before the end of the movie. The idea behind the cast would be that all of them have some pretty strong themes attached to them that could be expanded upon in sequels if need be. With Cyclops, it's purpose. With Wolverine, it's honor. With both Scott and Logan, you've got the theme of control. With Jean, there's the theme of the pitfalls of emotion. With Nightcrawler, it's acceptance. With Storm, it's freedom. And with Jubilee, the theme is of course family. Conversely, I'd also like to see new students trickle in over the course of any sequels to show that what Xavier is doing is a changing, evolving thing and that while he didn't just add a whole mess of mutants to the school all at once he also didn't just recruit six (or seven) mutants and just say "that's it". Maybe in the sequel Jubilee's suddenly got a roommate named Kitty who annoys her. Or maybe at the beginning of the movie they're shown recruiting Angel. Or maybe the sequel has the Brotherhood in it and the end of that movie shows Rogue breaking off from that team and showing up on Xavier's doorstep. At the same time, I'm afraid it would be the same as stuffing good characters into the background and not having the chance to focus on any of them.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ricochet Rita View Post
    Only six...that's hard
    i personally think 6 is too much for a film. what ur really gonna get is 3 characters with the most attention and development. And the others not as much. Film is limited.
    Cyclops was right

Quote Originally Posted by AdamFTF View Post
    What I have said before was that if I rebooted the X-Men movies, I would pull an X-Men: Evolution and have a sort of all-star cast but as students. It would be more of a true ensemble with a focus on how the characters play off each other and there wouldn't be a whole lot of teachers or students in the background, thus making mutants seem like more of a rare and elusive thing (it is the beginning, after all). The villain would also likely be something along the lines of the Sentinel program. Not sure if Master Mold would be involved. Interestingly, most of my cast seems to be showing up in X-Men: Apocalypse . . .

Cyclops (age 16)
    Marvel Girl (age 16)
    Wolverine (seemingly age 18)
    Nightcrawler (age 15)
    Storm (age 16)
    Jubilee (age 13)

I would have also had John Proudstar aka Thunderbird (age 17) in there as well, but he'd give his life to save everyone before the end of the movie. The idea behind the cast would be that all of them have some pretty strong themes attached to them that could be expanded upon in sequels if need be. With Cyclops, it's purpose. With Wolverine, it's honor. With both Scott and Logan, you've got the theme of control. With Jean, there's the theme of the pitfalls of emotion. With Nightcrawler, it's acceptance. With Storm, it's freedom. And with Jubilee, the theme is of course family. Conversely, I'd also like to see new students trickle in over the course of any sequels to show that what Xavier is doing is a changing, evolving thing and that while he didn't just add a whole mess of mutants to the school all at once he also didn't just recruit six (or seven) mutants and just say "that's it". Maybe in the sequel Jubilee's suddenly got a roommate named Kitty who annoys her. Or maybe at the beginning of the movie they're shown recruiting Angel. Or maybe the sequel has the Brotherhood in it and the end of that movie shows Rogue breaking off from that team and showing up on Xavier's doorstep. At the same time, I'm afraid it would be the same as stuffing good characters into the background and not having the chance to focus on any of them.
    I would love to see something like this, indeed --but it would be essentially a New Mutants movie, right?

Quote Originally Posted by ciscostudent561 View Post
    i personally think 6 is too much for a film. what ur really gonna get is 3 characters with the most attention and development. And the others not as much. Film is limited.
    Yeah, that's why I think a TV series would suit better. But I won't give up to watch X-Men on the big screen .

Astonishing Member

I would love to see something like this, indeed --but it would be essentially a New Mutants movie, right?
    I guess. But it's also kind of an X-Men: Evolution movie or an Ultimate X-Men movie or a Young X-Men movie or a Generation X movie. And it's also kind of taking the X-Men back to their roots. I mean, the X-Men started as students. They just had kind of a boring lineup at the time. So, it's me wanting to do the O5 without having to actually use the O5. The "teen team" thing is a big part of the X-Men mythos. It also means we get to keep the school setting without turning the X-Men into teachers (never cared for that idea). I came up with this notion before the New Mutants movie or the cast of X-Men Apocalypse were announced. So, the similarity to that stuff was very much unintended. Especially the presence of Jubilee in both my cast and the X-Men Apocalypse cast. I thought she'd be an outlier (she can kind of be an acquired taste).

Yeah, that's why I think a TV series would suit better. But I won't give up to watch X-Men on the big screen .
    You'd probably need a TV show with the budget of a movie, unless you're okay with it being something a bit on the cheesy side.

Mighty Member

you could do six but it would have to be like Lord of the rings, long and would have to be a trilogy, even then, big Characters like Legolas and the Troll had zero character development. Just satisfactory screen time was given to them for their fans. You couldn't realistically tie an arc with many of the main guys with all that was going on.
    IF the X-men were taken on something like that, I would enjoy a Age of Apocalypse trilogy where the X-men are rebuilding in the future to over throw Apocalypse. It would be balanced between fun and dark like LOTR. A deep core theme would be Cyke still pursuing Xaviers dream even with reality that humanity's greatest fear had actualized in Apocalypse taking over and submitting all to his dominion. It would also be fun to see Cyke going back and recruiting not only X-men who quit while Apocalypse began to rise to power out of hopelessness, but also recruiting those who had straight betrayed the school Awesome redemption oppurtunities.
    Cyclops was right

Quote Originally Posted by Darthkostis View Post
    Skip the 05/Origins, and go straight to the middle of the "saga". I'd say:

1) Cyclops
    2) Emma Frost
    3) Wolverine
    4) Kitty Pryde
    5) Colossus
    6) Beast
    This 100%

10char

X1 started with Wolverine and Storm, so Id start with a cooler take, at least to me:

Cyclops
    Jean
    Gambit
    Rogue
    Nightcrawler
    Angel

Astonishing Member Celestialbodies's Avatar

Cyclops
    Jean
    Wolverine
    Storm
    Beast
    Shadowcat

The best mixture of characters who relate or connect to every major event or X-character in a way that's easily introduced later, without all sorts of random moments or inordinate amount of backstory to make the team "work". This team could easily carry a franchise just with the chemistry and history among these characters while offering some of the best films!

01. Storm
    02. Wolverine
    03. Rogue
    04. Colossus
    05. Nightcrawler
    06. Rachel

Quote Originally Posted by AdamFTF View Post
    You'd probably need a TV show with the budget of a movie, unless you're okay with it being something a bit on the cheesy side.
    Quote Originally Posted by ciscostudent561 View Post
    you could do six but it would have to be like Lord of the rings, long and would have to be a trilogy, even then, big Characters like Legolas and the Troll had zero character development. Just satisfactory screen time was given to them for their fans. You couldn't realistically tie an arc with many of the main guys with all that was going on.
    I think I could stand this cheesy side as long as the writing was good, that's what I appreciate above all . To my knowledge (I haven't watched them), there are right now a few great Marvel TV series with a humble budget and a more realistic urban development (Agents of Shield, Daredevil, Jessica Jones...). I know it's just my personal fantasy, but I would love to see something similar with X-Men, in a CC + JRJR mood, instead of these boombastic apocalyptic movies. Actually, I remember CC said once that he found so much inspiration in 'Hill Street Blues' for writing X-Men --couldn't the path be walked backwards and have a time for every character?

Spectacular Member

Storm
    Colossus
    Kitty
    Nightcrawler
    Banshee
    Wolverine

Taking someone's idea of starting in the middle of the "saga" the movie would revolve around rescuing the O5, similar to the way this group here started.

Mighty Member

I think the films have been rebooted though - First Class and DoFP have made massive changes to the original trilogy.