Default Recommendations for getting started on Wonder Woman

Now Im usually more of a Marvel guy. So I must admit that my knowledge about the DCU is not very big and there are not many characters currently that I would say I like and the ones that I do are mostly in the Bat-side of things. That's not to say I hate all the others. Im simply indifferent to them because I lack the exposure.
    Wonder Woman is actually a character that fits my usual taste in characters which mostly comes down to strong female characters. For some reason I never got into her though despite her being one of the biggest and most iconic female characters in comics in general. Since "Rebirth" has rekindled a bit of interest in DC I thought it was time to finally change that. Now reading through this part of the forum makes you quickly see all the negativity when it comes to her current situation so I haven't bought into that yet and just want to ask you guys about what stories you can recommend. Feel free to name and talk about them if you like.
    Just one caveat though. I simply can't stand older comics no matter how good they are. They may have been so in their time but for someone who hasn't read them in that time they are hard to get into. At least that's how it works for me. So it would be nice if you could limit it to the last 20 years. That's still acceptable for me and what I would call modern times. New52 or not doesn't even matter. I simply want some good stories. No matter in which time period they happened or if they are canon or not.
    "This is me being reasonable"

Quote Originally Posted by Galerion View Post
    Now Im usually more of a Marvel guy. So I must admit that my knowledge about the DCU is not very big and there are not many characters currently that I would say I like and the ones that I do are mostly in the Bat-side of things. That's not to say I hate all the others. Im simply indifferent to them because I lack the exposure.
    Wonder Woman is actually a character that fits my usual taste in characters which mostly comes down to strong female characters. For some reason I never got into her though despite her being one of the biggest and most iconic female characters in comics in general. Since "Rebirth" has rekindled a bit of interest in DC I thought it was time to finally change that. Now reading through this part of the forum makes you quickly see all the negativity when it comes to her current situation so I haven't bought into that yet and just want to ask you guys about what stories you can recommend. Feel free to name and talk about them if you like.
    Just one caveat though. I simply can't stand older comics no matter how good they are. They may have been so in their time but for someone who hasn't read them in that time they are hard to get into. At least that's how it works for me. So it would be nice if you could limit it to the last 20 years. That's still acceptable for me and what I would call modern times. New52 or not doesn't even matter. I simply want some good stories. No matter in which time period they happened or if they are canon or not.
    It's a bit tricky to recommend WW for the last 20 years without telling you to just go back to the first run of Perez from 1987 ... mostly because that is the foundation of the characters modern origins. But if you want to stick with the more recent and don't mind coming in mid-stream, so to speak, I'd recommend reading the Rucka run, especially if you like Batman (who Rucka also had a turn at). He also wrote a one-shot graphic novel called The Hiketeia (also features Batman). I believe his run on WW started around issue 195 about 12 years ago and ran for about 30 issues ... you can check it out here: http://www.gregrucka.com/wp/wonder-woman/

I'd also recommend Phil Jiminez Vol 2 and Gail Simone's The Circle

BANNED

If you're 20 something like me, Rucka's Wonder Woman might prove a little too "perfect" for your millennial sensibilities. If you're a X-23/Marvel sort of guy I think the new 52 is more up your alley, you can always work your way down from there.

The first run in the new 52 Wonder Woman in enjoyable. So is Gail Simone's run.

Quote Originally Posted by Pamp_Lusa View Post
    If you're 20 something like me, Rucka's Wonder Woman might prove a little too "perfect" for your millennial sensibilities. If you're a X-23/Marvel sort of guy I think the new 52 is more up your alley, you can always work your way down from there.
    I started reading the Rucka run in my mid teens. I never saw her as perfect.

Mighty Member

who knows what the rebirth will have for the character so honestly itd be weird to get into n52 wonder woman and then in a few months for that character to not even exist or if they do keep more of her n52 story then itd be a waste to really dive in to her older stuff.
    Honestly, I'd probably just check out some of her digital comics on comixology like Sensations which are super short comics for 99 cents each that will at least give you a general feel for the character and what she's supposed to mean without wasting money or time and if it seems at least decent for you id say pick up her first issue when rebirth comes along and just start from there

Quote Originally Posted by Pamp_Lusa View Post
    Can you explain what you mean with the too perfect thing?
    "This is me being reasonable"

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Galerion View Post
    Can you explain what you mean with the too perfect thing?
    I've read every issue of WW since the beginning of Rucka's run (so I can't speak for what came before) and Rucka's WW is by far my favourite depiction of her (followed by Azzarello's New 52 solo run). She's really wise, patient, diplomatic and selfless. I think some people probably cannot relate to a character like that but I really liked her as a person (something that cannot be said about the way Finch and Johns have been writing her in the New 52 - a hot-headed warrior looking for a fight who also comes off as a bit scary when she is suggesting that maybe superheroes should pretty much rule the world...in fact, she's written just like JMS was writing Power Princess, an extreme parody of WW, in his Squadron Supreme). Rucka's Dinana comes off as really inspiring. In Star Trek terms she's more Picard than Kirk.

So, in short, I'd recommend Rucka's and Azzarello's runs.
    Last edited by Shaggy; 02-20-2016 at 08:05 AM.

BANNED

She's as perfect as they come. Like the user above me said, she's wise, selfless and diplomatic, she's her country's Ambassador of Peace, a successful author, she can talk to animals, she's a vegetarian, she has a private chef who's a Minotaur, she's very formal and doesn't use contractions (don't, can't). It's all a bit much for my taste, a bit forced to be sure. The new 52 is a better jumping off point, for starters it's a relaunch and only the long-time Wonder Woman fans hated it, it proved very popular with new readers. They dumbed Wonder Woman down considerably but the story is very nice and fun, paradoxically. Or you can just wait for the Rebirth