Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default How many ways of travelling through the Marvel Multiverse is there?

Or, rather perhaps I should say, did there USE to be. ; )

I count like, at least 10 ways and crafts, just off the top of my head.

1. Magic spells (winds of Watoomb, vortex of Mjolnir, etc)

2. The Tallus (semi-sentient techno-magical arm-bracelet from eXiles)

3. Dr. Doom's Time-Platform (essentially any time-machine is also a space-machine)

4. A.I.M Time-Disc

5. T.V.A Time-cycle (time-variance authority equipment)

6. Dimensional Wave Inducer / Infinite Corridor (based on the same tech, created by Hank Pym and Goliath)

7. Otherworld portal (on Otherworld, there exists permanent, infinite walk-ways that actually lead to different realities, policed by various Captain Britain's)

Phew! That's just what I can think of right now, but there's bound to be like, 20 other ways that have been depicted! Could you guys help me come up with some more?

Incredible Member

The nexus of all-realites is a big one you've over looked....

Smaller ones pushing included, the virtual unreality gate from this original spiderman 2099 book, the wormholes travelled by verious units in warheads, and the trans dimensional train used by Excalibur....

Spectacular Member

Magic can teleport between Limbo and Earth. Guardians of Infinity introduced a structure that occupies multiple time and space.

Extraordinary Member Mike_Murdock's Avatar

AIM had that thing they used to send the Super Adaptoid through. Auger or something like that?

I'm trying to remember how Saturnyne would do it in Captain Britain. They may have kept it vague.

ETA: The Library of Worlds is another.

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

Good question. There are an endless number of ways to get around the multiverse. There are objects like the infinity gems, the serpent crown, the quantum bands, the eye of agommotto, etc., that enabled one to traverse dimensions. Devilslayer's cape was technically a portal to other dimensions. Don't forget Bifrost. I think one of the gods, maybe it was the Egyptians gods, had a chariot that could traverse dimensions. Thor's goat drawn chariot also had this ability, as does his hammer (and every other variation of Mjolnir, including Stormbreaker). Ditto for Valkyrie's steed and/or sword. Arkon's lightning arrows could also get one around fairly quickly between various dimensions. Thanos' chair also had dimension hopping abilities. I could go on and on, but I'll close here with Black Holes. There was a time when writers thought that Black Holes were portals to other dimensions and realities.

There's also The Web of Life and Destiny on Earth 001 which the Master Weaver used to send the Inheritors and now the Web Warriors to different dimensions.
    "Once more the Sith will rule the galaxy... and we shall have peace."

I think Miss America can kick holes through to other dimensions?

Amazing Member

Alex Summers' consciousness is supposedly a back door built into the system for multiversal travel. I'm also fairly sure that the Builders' superflow allowed for some form of multidimensional travel.

Amazing Member

I don't think I'd count the time travel ones. I'm pretty sure marvel differentiates between timelines and the various "earths". Also different are the ups and down "dimensions" like limbo, and the magic stuff.

Hickman laid out the architecture.

The parallel universes are like slices of bread in a loaf. This is surrounded and permeated by the superflow. The Ultimates have traveled to outside the superflow.

Time, and branching get timelines, move along the T-axis, not the parallel space dimensions. You can only travel to different dimensions if they are on a branch from your starting point. multiple futures, immutable past.

The other concepts are above and below (heaven, hell, limbo, crossroads, etc), and pockets (darkforce, white space, some of the old concepts from Quasar). And then there is the expansion of each universe, outward, encroaching on both the negative zone and the Oblivion entity's nothingness.

So the major current paths "sideways" to a differently numbered earth are through Otherworld, through the Superflow, using AIM's Auger, through the Nexus, and using backdoors like the darkforce dimension. I'm assuming the spider verse storyline had a mechanism, plus the Exiles had the Tallus, Thor, Dr. Strange ,Miss America Chavez, various cosmics and elders, and Quasar have it in their power set.

Someone mentioned the infinity gems/gauntlet. Their limitation is that they are stuck in their universe of origin.
    Last edited by OldWestPaladin; 02-20-2016 at 01:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Peril View Post
    There's also The Web of Life and Destiny on Earth 001 which the Master Weaver used to send the Inheritors and now the Web Warriors to different dimensions.
    I should have been a little clearer, Master Weaver, Inheritors and Web Warriors(Spider-Gwen, Mayday Parker, Anya Spider-Woman, Spider-Man UK, Spider-Man India, Spider Man Noir and Spider-Ham) are all characters from the Spider-Man Spider-Verse saga.
    "Once more the Sith will rule the galaxy... and we shall have peace."

Extraordinary Member Mike_Murdock's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by OldWestPaladin View Post
    I don't think I'd count the time travel ones. I'm pretty sure marvel differentiates between timelines and the various "earths". Also different are the ups and down "dimensions" like limbo, and the magic stuff.
    I tend to agree about pocket dimensions like Limbo, but I'm not sure Marvel differentiates between other Earths and branching timelines - at least when it came to the numbering system. For example, Days of Future Past Earth (which was triggered by the assassination of Senator Kelly) was Earth-811.

Side note, I suppose it's possible to argue Earth-811 isn't a branching timeline but is, in fact, just an alternate Earth. Often, events parallel each other in the multiverse. In addition to explaining how the Ultimate universe (Earth-1610) is relatively similar, the most obvious example is Crooked World (Earth-238) where the events of the Jasper's Warp took place slightly before they started to take place in Earth-616.

Spectacular Member

Does Spidey 2099's door to the time 2099 qualify? I'm still not sure if the 2099 universe is supposed to be the future or if it's really an alternate universe.

MXAAGVNIEETRO IS RIGHT MyriVerse's Avatar

Probably falls under magic spells, but the Juggernaut can walk across dimensions through sheer unstoppable will.
    f/k/a The Black Guardian
    COEXIST | NOEXIST
    ShadowcatMagikДаякѕтая Sto☈mDustMercury MonetRachelSage
    MagnetoNightcrawlerColossusRockslideBeastXavier

Now this is what I'm talkin' about! =) There's so darn many ways that this is done in the comics, that it's really hard to get a bead on it all.

Quote Originally Posted by Fairyprincess View Post
    The nexus of all-realites is a big one you've over looked....

Smaller ones pushing included, the virtual unreality gate from this original spiderman 2099 book, the wormholes travelled by verious units in warheads, and the trans dimensional train used by Excalibur....
    Oh yeah! These are some fairly major ones - really do need to get a better look at the V.U.G from 2099 - it's hard to find reference tho', I must admit.

About the transdimensional train tho', how does that actually work? I believe it's supposed to be some kind of combination of the dragon engine, Phoenix-power, and that little Shadow-Cat-Bot what's-he-called.. Blip? She did open up a portal in the first issues of Excalibur.

Quote Originally Posted by dvgravity View Post
    Magic can teleport between Limbo and Earth. Guardians of Infinity introduced a structure that occupies multiple time and space.
    This is new - what's it called? Was it introduced in the first issue?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_Murdock View Post
    AIM had that thing they used to send the Super Adaptoid through. Auger or something like that?

I'm trying to remember how Saturnyne would do it in Captain Britain. They may have kept it vague.

ETA: The Library of Worlds is another.
    The Auger is indeed the thing - it appears to be something similar to the Virtual Unreality Gate from Spider-man 2099. What's the library of worlds tho'? Is it that place which the Black Swan's used as a base?

Quote Originally Posted by JudicatorPrime View Post
    Good question. There are an endless number of ways to get around the multiverse. There are objects like the infinity gems, the serpent crown, the quantum bands, the eye of agommotto, etc., that enabled one to traverse dimensions. Devilslayer's cape was technically a portal to other dimensions. Don't forget Bifrost. I think one of the gods, maybe it was the Egyptians gods, had a chariot that could traverse dimensions. Thor's goat drawn chariot also had this ability, as does his hammer (and every other variation of Mjolnir, including Stormbreaker). Ditto for Valkyrie's steed and/or sword. Arkon's lightning arrows could also get one around fairly quickly between various dimensions. Thanos' chair also had dimension hopping abilities. I could go on and on, but I'll close here with Black Holes. There was a time when writers thought that Black Holes were portals to other dimensions and realities.
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Peril View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jphamlore View Post
    I think Miss America can kick holes through to other dimensions?
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkmythology View Post
    Alex Summers' consciousness is supposedly a back door built into the system for multiversal travel. I'm also fairly sure that the Builders' superflow allowed for some form of multidimensional travel.
    For the purpose of the thread, I think I'd prefer it if we limited it to actual vehicles and objects used for the purpose, as otherwise it gets a bit out of hand.

Quote Originally Posted by OldWestPaladin View Post

Hickman laid out the architecture.

The parallel universes are like slices of bread in a loaf. This is surrounded and permeated by the superflow. The Ultimates have traveled to outside the superflow.

Time, and branching get timelines, move along the T-axis, not the parallel space dimensions. You can only travel to different dimensions if they are on a branch from your starting point. multiple futures, immutable past.

The other concepts are above and below (heaven, hell, limbo, crossroads, etc), and pockets (darkforce, white space, some of the old concepts from Quasar). And then there is the expansion of each universe, outward, encroaching on both the negative zone and the Oblivion entity's nothingness.

So the major current paths "sideways" to a differently numbered earth are through Otherworld, through the Superflow, using AIM's Auger, through the Nexus, and using backdoors like the darkforce dimension. I'm assuming the spider verse storyline had a mechanism, plus the Exiles had the Tallus, Thor, Dr. Strange ,Miss America Chavez, various cosmics and elders, and Quasar have it in their power set.

Someone mentioned the infinity gems/gauntlet. Their limitation is that they are stuck in their universe of origin.
    Laying down the knowledge mate! =D Big cheers for the info, it's going to be quite helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by MyriVerse View Post
    Probably falls under magic spells, but the Juggernaut can walk across dimensions through sheer unstoppable will.
    Yeah, that falls under magic spells and whatcha'macallit innate powers - when fully possessed by Cythorac, the Juggernaut is so unbelievably strong, that he can actually PUNCH THROUGH reality! 0_o

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by dvgravity View Post
    You do mean Magik, right? Also, missing from from said list is TP/TK's namely Rachel Grey.
    (It's worth mentioning that Jean Grey has time traveled under her own power at least once)

Quote Originally Posted by Darkmythology View Post
    Huh? Say What!?! In what book (title and issue please) is this depicted?
    Last edited by ZNOP; 02-20-2016 at 08:02 PM.