Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Super Moderator

Default Image Publisher Urges Long-Term Thinking Over Short-Term Needs in ComicsPRO Speech

Image Comics Publisher Eric Stephenson decries nostalgia, variant covers and double-shipping in his speech to comics retailers at ComicsPRO.

Full article here.

But nothing about the high price point

Excellently written. Many valid points.

But, as Sudden says, it ignores the inflation of comic book prices. It also ignores that the companies that depend on "gimmicks" are the ones trying to tell new stories with characters older than most of their readership. And that reboots/retools/relaunches are simply a fact of all visual mediums these days. Also that the Direct Market choking off the demand by limiting the availability of comics to boutiques was and is a problem when it comes to expanding the audience for comics as a whole.

Still. Excellently written. Many valid points. Fairly inspiring. Gotta give them points for passion.

Amazing Member

Let me make it clear that I buy a lot of Image Comics in a month: Low, Deadly Class, Postal, Saga, Birthright, Huck, Manifest Destiny, Mercenary Sea (when it comes out), Autumnlands, Walking Dead, Jupiter's Legacy, and a bunch of others. I think Eric Stephenson should start with his own company before giving a speech like this. They too have variants (that aren't really targeted to new customers but regular readers in my opinion). How many comics do they publish in a month too?

While I do not like the reboots and all these number one issues, it's simple, if you don't like them, don't buy them. That's the most effective way of sending a message to the publisher.

I think the issue he should address is how to bring in new comic book readers or even bring back those who left.

Quote Originally Posted by Siddon View Post
    But nothing about the high price point
    He can't really speak on that when Image has more $3.99 books in the May solicits than any other price.
    We need better comics

BANNED

"I'd like to talk about the future, but first, we're going to do some time travel, back to a time when there was no Internet, no Twitter, no Facebook, no Instagram."

So the future isn't time travel????...only the past???

BANNED

There was quite a bit of validity to what he said, regardless of whether he needs to do some work as well. In my opinion Image is doing more to help than harm the industry. Marvel and DC have been ridiculous lately. Both could go under for all I care as long as they sell off a few of their properties

Didn't they just announce they are publishing a magazine with exclusive Walking Dead story content that is not in the Walking Dead comic series. Isn't that a goddamn gimmick that cheats traditional comic fans? Hypocritical.
    Pull List
    Avengers, Captain America, Daredevil, Fantastic Four, Hulk, Iron Man, Spider-Man, Thor, Wolverine, Uncanny X-Men
    Justice League, Action Comics, Superman, Detective Comics, Batman, Wonder Woman, Green Lantern, Flash, Aquaman, Cyborg

Quote Originally Posted by randomengine View Post
    Didn't they just announce they are publishing a magazine with exclusive Walking Dead story content that is not in the Walking Dead comic series. Isn't that a goddamn gimmick that cheats traditional comic fans? Hypocritical.
    I think that is more a case of Kirkman doing his part to help out the company and other creators. They are launching what is essentially the same thing as the Marvel Previews magazine for Image. So this will have previews and order information for all the Image titles. By having an exclusive Walking Dead story in the magazine, it makes it much, much more likely that retailers and their customers will order/read the magazine and be exposed to all the titles that Image has to offer.

A smart way, IMO, to try to get retailers and readers to be more aware of the Image offerings.
    My comicartfans.com collection. Lots of Ryan Ottley:
    http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryD...asp?GCat=49719

Invincible universe wiki (work in progress):
    http://invincibleuniverse.wikia.com/..._Universe_Wiki

Don't read too many comics these days, but Invincible, The Walking Dead and Saga are trades I consistently buy and read. Just the other day, I ordered Chrononauts and Injection trades. I've read a bit of Injection, but I'm really eager to dive into Chrononauts, especially due to the wonderful, wonderful art of Sean Gordon Murphy!

Passionate words from Stephenson. I think Image is trying very hard to improve comics in general.
    Find me on Instagram and Twitter - @arfguy
    https://whoaskd.com/

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by primetime21 View Post
    Both could go under for all I care
    More and more lately I talk about how I have not bought a Marvel or DC comics for a few years and for as much as I miss them I have found much better material at Image, Boom!, Dark Horse, Dynamite and others. I have also been talking about how little I would care if they disappeared as comic publishers and just focused on TV and movies. The current business model of the Big2 is horrible and drives away long time readers for short term gains in an ever shrinking market.

jp_pollard

Quote Originally Posted by mmurphy1968 View Post
    More and more lately I talk about how I have not bought a Marvel or DC comics for a few years and for as much as I miss them I have found much better material at Image, Boom!, Dark Horse, Dynamite and others...
    I want Valiant to respond to this. They're such a great throwback to what used to be the norm in super-hero comics. In my mind, they're the only publisher who fits the bill of this "Publish Responsibly" thing Stephenson is selling.

Quote Originally Posted by randomengine View Post
    How does an issue of a magazine available to anyone who wants to buy/order a copy for the content (as opposed to the issue number or cover) equate to the short-term gains/long-term harm gimmicks referenced in the speech?

All his points are pretty good, but

The industry is not in trouble of any sort.

Comics will continue to be a niche product that will attract certain readers, usually introspective, who appreciate story and illustrative talents.

1)What i would like to see is cheap, 200 page , B&W, quarterly books.

2)I would not be mad if Boom, dynamite, avatar, or IDW would merge

3) he is absolutely right about the market being flooded, its insane for a retailer to carry 200-250 monthly books.

Quote Originally Posted by Anduinel View Post
    How does an issue of a magazine available to anyone who wants to buy/order a copy for the content (as opposed to the issue number or cover) equate to the short-term gains/long-term harm gimmicks referenced in the speech?
    It doesn't.

Image and kirkman have shown remarkable restraint. Why aren't there 4-5 monthly WD related comics?

They finally add new content after a decade!