Default Alex + Ada #7 Spoilers/Discussion

Hey guys, just want to talk about Alex + Ada #7 since i never see anyone posting a thread about it and i think that it is an underrated series that is worth sharing. This is my first time posting a thread so forgive me if i am not good at it. As mentioned in the title, there will be spoilers about this issue.

In this issue, we pick off immediately from the previous issue where Ada encounters the neighbor, Jody. Jody panicked when she found out that Ada is an android. Later, Alex found out about the incident and there is a part where both of them go to a virtual Google maps(which is pretty cool).

They later go to Alex's grandmother house and she managed to find out about Ada being a sentient. Really liked the awkward moment when both androids greet each other. The issue ends with Alex and Ada discovering that the government is deploying an operation but to catch sentient.

Really enjoyed this issue. The writer brings the readers to a possible futuristic world and there are times where i encounter questions with no definitive answer. Besides being science fiction, there is also drama and a little thriller.

However, i still feel that the art lacks details and there are unnecessary cliffhangers at the end of the issue.

Overall, the story is fantastic and if i would rate this issue 8/10. So what do you think of this issue?

There's lots of love for Alex + Ada in this forum. I think the only thing that's stopping this title from getting the acclaim that it deserves is the simplistic artwork that can turn a lot of people off. There's not too much that separates this from a title like Saga. It was probably meant that way with the slow pace of the book but I think Alex + Ada would be better served with an artist like Jamie McKelvie for example that would grab customer's attention.

small press afficionado matt levin's Avatar

Alex + Ada (issue 7): I really like this. they’re bringing us to the edge of asking what it means to be human. I like the oblique angle: life is oblique, oblique and opaque. There're many examples of human life: the neighbor who panics just to know Ada's next door; Alex's buddy who sees Ada as only a fancy fantasy; Alex's grandmother who knows Ada's now far more than just 'a robot'. And Ada, now trying to pretend to be 'just a robot'.

A&A has got to be one of the quietest, subtlest comics I’ve read (and I go back many decades): could be just any girl, Ada, admiring how the bracelet looks on her wrist, but it is Ada, and she notices as well what the bracelet hides; just one quiet panel of a girl admiring jewelry, but it conveys a whole social and psychological under-current more.

A&A is one of the best world-building comics I’ve read: moreso even than Saga, currently thought to be one of the best, but throws multiple worlds together somewhat higglety-pigglety. The world of Alex and Ada is orderly, is just there as they move through it revealed by Alex's and Ada's movement through it—a world of small changes, but significant changes, a very neatly complete world, a world easy to believe in.
    Age/Bronze, Age/Reptiles, Alex&Ada, Anne Bonnie, Astro City, Bone, Briggs Land, Cerebus, Criminal, Courtney Crumrin, Eleanor & the Egret, Fables, Fatale, Fell, Grass Kings, Green Valley, Goon, Gotham Midnight, Groo, Hellboy, Hillbilly, Incognegro, Jack Staff, JL8, Jonah Hex, Kane, Lazarus, Little Nemo, Lone Wolf, Next Wave, Popeye, Powers, Princess Ugg, Resident Alien, SiP, Squirrel Girl, Stray Bullets, 10G, Thief of Thieves, Tuki, Uncle Scrooge, Usagi, Velvet

Quote Originally Posted by matt levin View Post
    Alex + Ada (issue 7): I really like this. they’re bringing us to the edge of asking what it means to be human. I like the oblique angle: life is oblique, oblique and opaque. There're many examples of human life: the neighbor who panics just to know Ada's next door; Alex's buddy who sees Ada as only a fancy fantasy; Alex's grandmother who knows Ada's now far more than just 'a robot'. And Ada, now trying to pretend to be 'just a robot'.

A&A has got to be one of the quietest, subtlest comics I’ve read (and I go back many decades): could be just any girl, Ada, admiring how the bracelet looks on her wrist, but it is Ada, and she notices as well what the bracelet hides; just one quiet panel of a girl admiring jewelry, but it conveys a whole social and psychological under-current more.

A&A is one of the best world-building comics I’ve read: moreso even than Saga, currently thought to be one of the best, but throws multiple worlds together somewhat higglety-pigglety. The world of Alex and Ada is orderly, is just there as they move through it revealed by Alex's and Ada's movement through it—a world of small changes, but significant changes, a very neatly complete world, a world easy to believe in.
    Matt, you're the only other person that I've seen that is reading Anne Bonnie in this forum which I love. I notice that we almost have the exact same tastes in comics. On top of my list would be Goon, Groo, Usagi. I'll have to check out all the other titles on your sig that I'm not reading at the moment.

small press afficionado matt levin's Avatar

hey Groo Odyssey,
    guess it had to happen sooner or, as it's happened, later, that SOMEbody'd like what I do (did I err?)-- yeah I've noticed we seem on the same line here. Pretty much kills the chance for Anne B or A+A to become international best sellers, though, if I like'm. Could make a list a few pages long of really great titles I've touted that tanked due low sales. Alas. So hey-- help me keep pushin' Anne B and A+A until EVerybody knows what they Should Be Reading.

and, on a side note, Groo will SLAUGHTER Conan. Probably by accident. Thanks for the props!
    Age/Bronze, Age/Reptiles, Alex&Ada, Anne Bonnie, Astro City, Bone, Briggs Land, Cerebus, Criminal, Courtney Crumrin, Eleanor & the Egret, Fables, Fatale, Fell, Grass Kings, Green Valley, Goon, Gotham Midnight, Groo, Hellboy, Hillbilly, Incognegro, Jack Staff, JL8, Jonah Hex, Kane, Lazarus, Little Nemo, Lone Wolf, Next Wave, Popeye, Powers, Princess Ugg, Resident Alien, SiP, Squirrel Girl, Stray Bullets, 10G, Thief of Thieves, Tuki, Uncle Scrooge, Usagi, Velvet

Quote Originally Posted by matt levin View Post
    hey Groo Odyssey,
    guess it had to happen sooner or, as it's happened, later, that SOMEbody'd like what I do (did I err?)-- yeah I've noticed we seem on the same line here. Pretty much kills the chance for Anne B or A+A to become international best sellers, though, if I like'm. Could make a list a few pages long of really great titles I've touted that tanked due low sales. Alas. So hey-- help me keep pushin' Anne B and A+A until EVerybody knows what they Should Be Reading.

and, on a side note, Groo will SLAUGHTER Conan. Probably by accident. Thanks for the props!
    Yeah I made an Anne Bonnie thread a few weeks ago in the independants forum. That book deserves so much love. Issue 2 is coming out this week, looks terrific. Gorgeous book that's pure fun.

One of my favorite books by far, I enjoy the artwork and so far the story has kept me enthralled with all the precarious situations they seem to enjoy torturing these two poor people/androids with and I can't help but feel sorry for Ada as she seems to be set to suffer the most.