All-New Member

Angry Help me identify this Batman comic!

Hi

This is has been driving me crazy for months, and my own research online has gotten me nowhere. I was obsessed with a batman comic when I younger (about 20 years ago now). Unfortunately I have very few clues to offer, but here goes:

- It was an issue 1 - perhaps of a mini series? And it must have been from the 70s (at a guess)
    - It told the story of Batman's father attending a costume party. He went dressed as a 'batman', and when the party was interrupted, he intervened in costume.
    - The closest picture I could find was this one - although I know this wasn't the comic I'm on about - which shows Batman's dad as I remember him (http://vignette1.wikia.nocookie.net/...20081218151835)
    - I vaguely remember the final page was a splash page with Batman walking through a museum-like vault of different batmen through the ages - including his father's costume, but when he got to his father's cabinet, the costume was missing with a note from the Joker (I think).

I know there is SOOO little to go on, but if you could identify the comic based on this, I'd be very grateful!

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by MrHunter84 View Post
    Hi

This is has been driving me crazy for months, and my own research online has gotten me nowhere. I was obsessed with a batman comic when I younger (about 20 years ago now). Unfortunately I have very few clues to offer, but here goes:

- It was an issue 1 - perhaps of a mini series? And it must have been from the 70s (at a guess)
    - It told the story of Batman's father attending a costume party. He went dressed as a 'batman', and when the party was interrupted, he intervened in costume.
    - The closest picture I could find was this one - although I know this wasn't the comic I'm on about - which shows Batman's dad as I remember him (http://vignette1.wikia.nocookie.net/...20081218151835)
    - I vaguely remember the final page was a splash page with Batman walking through a museum-like vault of different batmen through the ages - including his father's costume, but when he got to his father's cabinet, the costume was missing with a note from the Joker (I think).

I know there is SOOO little to go on, but if you could identify the comic based on this, I'd be very grateful!

Thanks!

Sounds like Untold Legend Of The Batman miniseries by Len Wein

My guess would be 'The untold legend of the batman'.
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_..._of_the_Batman
    None of you seem to understand, I'm not locked in here with you, you're locked in here with me..

All-New Member

I too had a quest ! A long time ago, to find a Vampire Comic which I had read as a very young boy. I left a thread years ago on DC Comics message boards. All I could remember of the story was that it was about an unwilling vampire, I thought I could remember was called Michael, but I was not sure. In the story the vampire would raid medical blood supplies rather than feast on flesh ! And I thought that there was a woman in the story to whom the vampire eventually succumbed and drank the blood of, and that her name was Ruth and she had red hair

Now, I'm a real OCD maniac when it comes to quests and I sought this comic for years, and spent large amounts of money trying to find it. My strongest lead was Michael Morbius and so I bought every low grade copy I could find from a well known US dealer, and got him to ship them to me in Poland where I was working at the time (thanks for that Chuck Rozanski !)

But alas ... I never found the story I wanted to find, and could still not be sure that the character was in fact Michael Morbius because the art in the comics seemed such a lower standard than I was remembering

I was only about ten when I read this comic again and again and so ... since I'm now in my forties, I was about to write it off as a failed quest when I saw a Vampire Comics CD on eBay ... one of these copied ones that no one should ever buy for a tenner or so. So I bought it. And when it arrived I flicked through it ... and lo and behold, I found the story I was looking for ! HURRAY !

It was indeed a Michael Morbius story, but it was from one of the Black and White magazines rather than the old Adventure Into Fear comics which I had been buying up. SO I quickly got onto a UK dealer, because I had moved back to the UK by this time, and bought a VF copy for £6 !!! And finally it arrived at my house and my quest was complete !

Interestingly, the woman in the story was not called Ruth .. and was instead called Mary... Ruth appeared in a back up story ! That had put me off the scent somewhat. And so had the fact that she did not have red hair, because it was a Black and White comic... maybe I coloured it in and that might be what threw me off the scent too

So I finally resolved my quest after 30 years of searching and I can now sleep at nights !

Sooooo... where is all this going, well simple, since you now seem to have found out the names of the comics which you were questing for, Untold Legend of the Batman #'s 1 to 3, I would be delighted to send you some for free, as I have several copies. Just write me a mail at using the Contact form at Splat Comics (a UK comic shop, just Google me) and I'll happily send you these, even if you're in the USA !

Kind Regards, Darren
    Last edited by PayneyRocks; 02-20-2016 at 03:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by PayneyRocks View Post

Sooooo... where is all this going, well simple, since you now seem to have found out the names of the comics which you were questing for, Untold Legend of the Batman #'s 1 to 3, I would be delighted to send you some for free, as I have several copies. Just write me a mail at using the Contact form at Splat Comics (a UK comic shop, just Google me) and I'll happily send you these, even if you're in the USA !

Kind Regards, Darren

Wauw, this really warms my heart! This is the reason I love this community so much. Such an amazing gesture man!
    None of you seem to understand, I'm not locked in here with you, you're locked in here with me..

All-New Member

Thank you all for replying! I am stunned that you got it in one! As soon as I saw that cover I was thrown back! That is absolutely it! Thanks guys - can't wait to read it!